Jim Harbaugh on the most important position group

We had a top 10 offensive line last year with mediocre quarterback play and it got us 7-6.

Also, did we really? We pass protected well, but oftentimes used max protect to achieve that.

Was the running game indicative of a Top 10 OL?

UGA ran the ball for over 100 yards against every team they played except Bama, and they lost.

We averaged under 4 yards a carry in 5 games last year. And that’s not due to a ton of sacks.

I don’t think we had a top 10 OL last year, it just seemed that way at times due to the pass pro and how awful it’s been for so long, it looked a lot better than it was. It was very good, don’t get me wrong, but we didn’t move A&M. We didn’t move FSU. We didn’t move NC State or GT.

Advertisement
The running game dominance wasn’t bc of the O line play.
Brother I really don't like arguing over this and I'm not trying to call your opinion into question. All I'm gonna say is you clearly didn't bother to do any research before you decided to say any of this. Maybe do a lil research before you talk about championships and mention those years clemson and lsu offensive lines were below average. Otherwise to the people that know better you just come across like a jagaloon. Personally I don't think you're a jagaloon so I'm simply saying be better and do some research. Anyone that's shares this opinion about olines should do the same. Me I'm good though so let's just move on.

Also, did we really? We pass protected well, but oftentimes used max protect to achieve that.

UGA ran the ball for over 100 yards against every team they played except Bama, and they lost.

We averaged under 4 yards a carry in 5 games last year. And that’s not due to a ton of sacks.

I don’t think we had a top 10 OL last year, it just seemed that way at times due to the pass pro and how awful it’s been for so long, it looked a lot better than it was. It was very good, don’t get me wrong, but we didn’t move A&M. We didn’t move FSU. We didn’t move NC State or GT.
I wasn't gonna be the one to bother to spell that out. Our oline was far better than what we've been used to but far away from really good all the same.

Advertisement

Top 10 might be optimistic but can you name 15 better lines? I mean we aren’t Georgia or Michigan but who else was so much better?

The bottom line is, we had generally really good o line play last year but were still almost completely reliant on quarterback play to be productive on offense. It’s because quarterback is the great equalizer. Defenses can throw numbers at running games. You can only block 5 guys with 5 linemen. Your line can do a great job but with no threat of pass and/or mediocre running backs, you’re not going to have a ton of success running the ball.

An elite team around Mac Jones put him in the 1st round.

A good offensive line just made TVD un-draftable. QB matters above all.
I’ll follow up with our best lineman and will likely be a 5th round pick at best this year. So how good was our line really?

Advertisement
Given that OL is the position group with the most players, it should be. 5 of 22 starters (not counting STs) is an OL.

train tunnel GIF

Advertisement
You made my point. Elite O line play means nothing without a good enough QB
Cmon bruh. Now you're changing the narrative. The whole conversation was about what's the most important position group. Obviously you still need a capable qb. But you don't have an elite qb who carries you without **** good oline play.

Advertisement
Why are people assuming he's discounting the importance of any other position group? He answered a direct question in a direct manner. Just because you have great oline play doesn't mean anything else will be where it needs to be at all. Simply it all begins and ends with the interior. No different from on defense you look at the db positions they're dependent on strong dline play to reach their full potential.

B/c the answer was The MOST IMPORTANT position. He didn’t say “one of” the most important positions.

Advertisement
Back