Jim Harbaugh on the most important position group

Advertisement
NGL, I got a bit of a chub listening to ole Jim go on about the big hosses up front. It's all about FYZICALITY!!!!!!

And for my Cuban (and other Latino) friends....
Cuando estuve sentiendo los tinglis en mis pantalones, San Mario vinó simplemente pensando en el topico de los monstruos de la linea ofensivo.
miniGif_20210806221014.gif

Advertisement
We’re still taking offensive advice from a coach who has rarely had a team with a really good offense.

I’m not discounting what coach has to say, but he’s foolish to say OL is the most important group, & his results says as much.

From 2016 until 2021, UofM could argue they were one of the top producing OLs to the NFL. 7 offensive lineman had been drafted including Cesar Ruiz, Ben Bredeson, Mason Cole among others. From 2015-2020, Harbaugh’s teams were good, but as we know, ?marks started to arise. They were 49-22 during this stretch (.690).

Harbaugh’s QBs during this period:
2015: 10-3 (Rudock: 3000+ yrd passer on 64% completion)
2016: 10-3 (Speight: 2500+ yrd passer on 62% completion)
2017: 8-5 (Carousel of QBs: 2200+ total yrds on 53% completion)
2018: 10-3 (Patterson: 2600 yrd passer on 65% completion)
2019: 9-4 (Patterson: 3000+ yrd passer on 56% completion)
2020: 2-4 (Milroe: 1000+ yrd passer on 57% completion)

Summary: Despite having very good OLs during this phase of Harbaugh’s career at UofM, when he had QBs who could complete 60+% of their passes, he went 30-6 (.833). If his QBs were sub 60%, he went 19-13 (.594).

From 2021-23 Harbaugh went 40-3 (.930)
2021: 12-2 (McNamara: 2500+ passer on 64% completion)
2022-23: 28-1 (McCarthy: 5700+ passer on 68% completion)

Summary: This was Harbaugh’s best stretch of QB play, where guys were completing 64+% of their passes, & the results ensued.

I would argue if u have a world class QB despite ****** OL play, it will cover the flaws much more seamlessly than having an all world OL & ****** QB play.

I’m a Bears fan, I’m well versed in ****** QB play. (Siiiiiigh) I can unequivocally tell u despite us having years of sending OLman to the pro bowls, having guys like Cade McNown, Rex Grossman (although Rex’s best year was 2005), Mike Tomczak, Shane Matthews, Kordell Stewart, Kyle Orton (got **** imma bout to cry) made our team look way worst.
Over the distribution curve...

Elite OL + Average QB > Elite QB + Average OL

Fight me.

He said it’s the most important position group and doesn’t depend on anyone else.

What matters is winning. If you want to win, you need a good enough QB. Thats the most important player and position on the team. It’s not close either.
How are you missing the point then? Do you think the same qb who is an all pro is still an all pro without the oline? The oline doesn't depend on anyone except the man lined up next to him. You can't say that about a reciever or tight end or a running back If the line doesn't give them time to get open or block up field to create holes. Can't say that about a qb if he has a dline on top of him and has to worry about his blind side as soon as the ball is snapped. Everyone on offense relies on a oline to play up to its full potential. It's not something that's debatable. Only thing even close is a dline and a dline as well as everyone else on defense is still somewhat reliant on an oline. Because if a offense is 3 and out opposed to a long sustained drive its just common sense how either would affect the other side of the ball. You're either well rested or your worn out.

Advertisement
the point is that an above average o-line will do the job good enough to get the qb to play at his highest level.

a **** o-line sinks everything, but a top tier o-line won't put it over the top more than an above average unit.

and o-line play is extremely dependent on factors like passing success, number matchups in run blocking, playcalling etc.
A oline success or failure has nothing to do with anyone but themselves. It's either you made your blocks and held up in protection or got a push up field in run block or you didn't. It's just that simple for them. And I'm not here to convince yall of anything. But this is common sense. If you guys paid attention you'd see how wrong these statements are. ALL dominant teams are built on the backs of interior play. But everyone's entitled to an opinion.

I’m not discounting what coach has to say, but he’s foolish to say OL is the most important group, & his results says as much.

From 2016 until 2021, UofM could argue they were one of the top producing OLs to the NFL. 7 offensive lineman had been drafted including Cesar Ruiz, Ben Bredeson, Mason Cole among others. From 2015-2020, Harbaugh’s teams were good, but as we know, ?marks started to arise. They were 49-22 during this stretch (.690).

Harbaugh’s QBs during this period:
2015: 10-3 (Rudock: 3000+ yrd passer on 64% completion)
2016: 10-3 (Speight: 2500+ yrd passer on 62% completion)
2017: 8-5 (Carousel of QBs: 2200+ total yrds on 53% completion)
2018: 10-3 (Patterson: 2600 yrd passer on 65% completion)
2019: 9-4 (Patterson: 3000+ yrd passer on 56% completion)
2020: 2-4 (Milroe: 1000+ yrd passer on 57% completion)

Summary: Despite having very good OLs during this phase of Harbaugh’s career at UofM, when he had QBs who could complete 60+% of their passes, he went 30-6 (.833). If his QBs were sub 60%, he went 19-13 (.594).

From 2021-23 Harbaugh went 40-3 (.930)
2021: 12-2 (McNamara: 2500+ passer on 64% completion)
2022-23: 28-1 (McCarthy: 5700+ passer on 68% completion)

Summary: This was Harbaugh’s best stretch of QB play, where guys were completing 64+% of their passes, & the results ensued.

I would argue if u have a world class QB despite ****** OL play, it will cover the flaws much more seamlessly than having an all world OL & ****** QB play.

I’m a Bears fan, I’m well versed in ****** QB play. (Siiiiiigh) I can unequivocally tell u despite us having years of sending OLman to the pro bowls, having guys like Cade McNown, Rex Grossman (although Rex’s best year was 2005), Mike Tomczak, Shane Matthews, Kordell Stewart, Kyle Orton (got **** imma bout to cry) made our team look way worst.
Why are people assuming he's discounting the importance of any other position group? He answered a direct question in a direct manner. Just because you have great oline play doesn't mean anything else will be where it needs to be at all. Simply it all begins and ends with the interior. No different from on defense you look at the db positions they're dependent on strong dline play to reach their full potential.

How are you missing the point then? Do you think the same qb who is an all pro is still an all pro without the oline? The oline doesn't depend on anyone except the man lined up next to him. You can't say that about a reciever or tight end or a running back If the line doesn't give them time to get open or block up field to create holes. Can't say that about a qb if he has a dline on top of him and has to worry about his blind side as soon as the ball is snapped. Everyone on offense relies on a oline to play up to its full potential. It's not something that's debatable. Only thing even close is a dline and a dline as well as everyone else on defense is still somewhat reliant on an oline. Because if an offense is 3 and out opposed to a long sustained drive its just common sense how either would affect the other side of the ball. You're either well rested or your worn out.
Clemson and LSU have accounted for 1/3 of the last decades national titles, with below average O line play.

Advertisement
You get it. You understand because you are a man.

Pretty simple concept really.

One of the greatest videos ever. 🤣

That's marshawn for you. Doesn't care how you take it. He's just gonna keep it a buck. Side note for anyone in Oakland at any point. If you're into soul food marshawns restaurant is a mandatory stop.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back