Confirmed Hip-Drop Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rule itself isn't the end of the world. Expecting NFL refs to make proper judgement calls makes this entire thing gross.

Advertisement
Glad I quit watching the NFL years ago and it was a lot to do with 5hit like this. As long as people continue to support it it will keep getting worse. Seriously though, might as well be flag football.

Exactly. Let’s call it what it is; the NFL & the NBA have both been slanting its rules to gear towards high, productive offenses under the guise of player safety & player movement (respectively).

These rules are hampering the defense, not player safety, but it’s quite fine for a defender to get blown up. I know that the NFL made it a point of emphasis to target chop blocking, & crack back blocking, but the vast majority of these new rule favor The O. Like it’s football, yo. Again, injuries are apart of the game. Again, I’m all for making the game safer, but my God, they are trying to neuter the game.
It's all because of Fantasy Football/Gambling.

They've legislated Defense out of both Sports in order to promote more scoring, which generates more betting.

Maybe I"m not picturing the hipdrop tackle correctly but I think you can still chase down a runner and wrap around the hips, it just has to be more like double leg takedown in wrestling where you drive the body forward/sideways and basically your full body would land on top of the runner. Legs shouldn't get caught under the body in that situation. What they don't want is where you wrap up around the waist and leave your feet, your body weight pulls straight down so the runner falls on his knees and then your entire body weight lands on the back of his legs.

Correct, which is **** near impossible. So when we start seeing an influx of missed tackles or guys getting drug for an extra 5-8 yrds, we’ll know why.

But, then what’s going to happen after players start suffering shin & ankle issues as defenders wrap around their ankles to bring them down or what’s going to happen that moment a defender drop to their knees to make a tackle low & get knee in the helmet & get knocked out?

My point is this is football folks, u can’t keep changing the rules, rules that are grossly benefiting the O just b/c a player or two get injured. The NFL sure don’t care about the vast amount of non contact injuries that’s caused more harm that this form of tackling due to the turf they’ve allowed. U know why? B/c owners are saving mucho $$ on this turf despite evidence proving it’s directly linked to an uptick in non contact injuries.

I’m all for helmet to helmet outlawed, I’m all for crack back blocks being outlawed, I’m all for horse collar tackles being outlawed, but at a certain point u gotta let these guys play ball. U already can’t breath on the QB, can’t touch WRs after 5 yrds, can’t hit a WR too hard across the middle, can’t wedge block on a K.O return, now these guys gotta think how they’re going to tackle a run away train to bring them down?

That’s a tough ask.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Owners need to protect their investments in multi-million dollar guarantees. That’s the only way rules change. Ownership didn’t give a **** about players when they weren’t paying a lot of money, despite having injuries on crappy artificial turf and forcing players to play with concussions. Now the players are making millions of dollars with millions guaranteed and suddenly it means something. Unless of course, you’re a player from a past era dealing with the physicality of the game you played and sacrificed for.

I’m all in favor of player safety. Not a fan of chop blocks, crack back blocks, blocking below the waist in certain contexts, grabbing facemasks, horse collar tackles, and all the other protections were used to by now.

I don’t have a problem with not being allowed to hit quarterbacks in the knees when they’re standing in the pocket. They’re a stationary target, unless hyper mobile. I look at it like the rules against chop blocking, or the rule against one offensive lineman blocking a player low while another player is blocking the same player high. All designed to protect the defender by the way.

I even don’t have a problem with the targeting rule when enforced properly. We’ve all seen players go for deliberate intimidating cheap shots, rather than making a tackle or a play on the ball. Often because the player is a poor tackler and lacks ball skills. Intimidation is part of the game, but there’s boundaries.

Problem is the key phrase enforced properly.

This new rule is set up for bad calls. I’d wager the rule will be changed for 2025.

Last edited:
i read a statistic that up to 20% of the time the type of tackle is ued a player gets hurt.

Advertisement
Good. It’s the whiny !tch sister of the horse collar. Stil shake my head st people saying Roy Williams was a big hitter?! Guy invented letting someone run past you, grabbing his shoulder pads and falling down. SOFT SOFT SOFT! “Drop your ***, bow your neck and WRAP UP!” Ahhh the good ole days…

Go Canes!

Exactly. Let’s call it what it is; the NFL & the NBA have both been slanting its rules to gear towards high, productive offenses under the guise of player safety & player movement (respectively).

These rules are hampering the defense, not player safety, but it’s quite fine for a defender to get blown up. I know that the NFL made it a point of emphasis to target chop blocking, & crack back blocking, but the vast majority of these new rule favor The O. Like it’s football, yo. Again, injuries are apart of the game. Again, I’m all for making the game safer, but my God, they are trying to neuter the game.
1000% Facts! Not trying to neuter the game. They have already done that! Now they are just trying to destroy the game and it's very likely that they will succeed. 😔

Listen; I’m all for player safety, but this is bull ****.

Running backs can run full speed, dropping their shoulder & helmet into a stationed defender looking to make a play, blow them up, concussing them, & it’s all good.

A hip drop tackle is a natural tackle. When someone is dragging u, u have to shift ur weight to slow them down, to bring them down.

This is f’ing tackle football; ppl get injured. It’s an unfortunate part of the game, but it appears that it’s only unfortunate when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.
I was a 135 lb corner in high school so I would have gotten flagged for just about every tackle I made.

Advertisement
I was a 135 lb corner in high school so I would have gotten flagged for just about every tackle I made.

Bro, same here. I was wiry strong, but thin af. I can’t tell u enough how my coach would be yelling “wrangle that bull, young man! There we go!” Lol

I fa sho did the hip drop tackle w/o even a second thought.

Same, and same. I used the tomahawk horse collar too (90s). lol Offensive statistics are going to need an asterisk next to them

Bro, same here. I was wiry strong, but thin af. I can’t tell u enough how my coach would be yelling “wrangle that bull, young man! There we go!” Lol

I fa sho did the hip drop tackle w/o even a second thought.
I was always taught "head across the ball wrap up." So if the ball carrier is bigger, and is dragging you, what exactly are you supposed to do? Just let go and watch him take off for the end zone? Convinced a lot of these rules guys and execs never played the game.

Advertisement
I was always taught "head across the ball wrap up." So if the ball carrier is bigger, and is dragging you, what exactly are you supposed to do? Just let go and watch him take off for the end zone? Convinced a lot of these rules guys and execs never played the game.

Facts.

Same.

I only played high school ball but we were taught “ Head across the ball and wrap”. And of course, sometimes things don’t go that way. You instinctively knew to take the hall carrier down at all costs. If a man got by you and you can make the tackle, you did it by any means. The focus was stopping his forward momentum. This was in the 90’s. The only thing that was against the rules back then was facemasking when it comes to tackling. I’m not sure about horse collaring because I saw one of our players horse collar the **** out of the ball carrier after a long run and didn’t get penalized for it. But there was no targeting or anything like that. Oh, you got your bell rung? Walk it off. But you got hurt, and you played through the pain. You knew that would happen BEFORE you stepped on the field. The ones that were scared of contact rode the pine.

They’re trying to slowly turn American Football into two hand touch and it’s disgusting.

Annnnnd, it’s amazing how these rules take place after a star player gets injured:

-Illegal to tackle a QB below the knees while in the pocket.
*Tom Brady gets injured vs. KC

-Illegal for horse collar tackle.
*Terrell Owens gets injured vs. Dallas

-Illegal to hip drop tackle.
*Mark Andrews gets injured vs. Bengals
Not only was andrews hurt. OBJ was hurt by same tackle in the same game by the SAME player. Lamar was tackled the same way by the SAME player, SAME game luckily he didn’t get injured at least publicly.

3 of the more popular players in the league. The discussion to outlaw started when Mahomes got his ankle busted up by it a couple years back but Andrews was the last straw for sure. Get that **** out the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back