Confirmed ECU PF Brandon Johnson Commits

View as article

edcanes

Redshirt Freshman
The Canes added some much-needed length and shooting to their team with the addition of East Carolina PF Brandon Johnson.

A Raleigh, NC native, Johnson played his first year at Brunswick (N.C.) Community College before transferring to East Carolina.

In his first year with the Pirates, the 6'8, 222-pound forward averaged 4.7 ppg and 5.1 rpg on 21% 3P. He bumped those numbers to 12.3 rpg and 8.1 rpg on 33% 3P before putting up 14 ppg and 8.6 rpg on 36.5% 3P this past season. He also filled...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Feels like he’s a 3. Possibly Cleveland or Wooga replacement. I’m fine with Cleveland moving on. I’m really hoping we keep Omier.
I agree, I feel like this is more telling for Clevelend.

This kid is very similar to Jordan Miller as to what he brings to the table. Less athletic than Jordan, but better range. He's a plus shooter with very deep range. Can score in the post too.

The pick and pop and spacing will be much improved with this addition. Cleveland didn't have the range to truly open up the floor. This kid does.

Bethea and Pack will really like this kid.

Advertisement
Either the writing is on the wall for Omier or we're going to be one of the best rebounding teams in the country.

Or is he more of a Jordan Miller type of player?
I think they are successfully covering their tails regardless of decisions that are still yet to be made. Johnson is versatile enough to play either the 3 or the 4. Can either play the 3 next to Norchad or the 4 if Cleveland decides to come back.

My biggest takeaway from this (because I dont know the in’s and out’s of basketball enough) is that Coach L learned from his mistake last year. Not only is he hitting the portal hard, but he’s not waiting around to hear what everybody else is doing. He’s building the team with or without the guys that are undecided and I think that is a huge positive for Coach L.

Advertisement
I think they are successfully covering their tails regardless of decisions that are still yet to be made. Johnson is versatile enough to play either the 3 or the 4. Can either play the 3 next to Norchad or the 4 if Cleveland decides to come back.
Watching his highlights he seems like a natural fit into the 3 but plays the 4 when Omier or Kidd are on the bench. Good stretch 4 in a small lineup option.

Like the pickup and the urgency. Definitely not a ton of room to bring back Wooga, Cleveland, and George. Seems like there's only 1 spot in the starting lineup available if Omier comes back and it's a guard spot. None of those are a natural 2 but I think Wooga and George can play it and Bethea is also in that mix but I think he's ultimately a 6th man to begin the season and evolves into a starter as the year goes on.

If all return or even 2 of the 3 we'll have the deepest team L has had since 2012/2013

Advertisement
Watching his highlights he seems like a natural fit into the 3 but plays the 4 when Omier or Kidd are on the bench. Good stretch 4 in a small lineup option.

Like the pickup and the urgency. Definitely not a ton of room to bring back Wooga, Cleveland, and George. Seems like there's only 1 spot in the starting lineup available if Omier comes back and it's a guard spot. None of those are a natural 2 but I think Wooga and George can play it and Bethea is also in that mix but I think he's ultimately a 6th man to begin the season and evolves into a starter as the year goes on.

If all return or even 2 of the 3 we'll have the deepest team L has had since 2012/2013
Bethea is starting from Day 1, as a projected lottery pick in a deep draft.

Bethea is 100% starting at the 2

He’s definitely a big that can play back to the basket but also has a nice set shot from the outside. Nice range too. I don’t see Miller , he’s not as skilled at handling the ball but would be a great pick and pop guy. Which will stretch the floor. Now I’d like to focus more on some ball handling and guys to make plays off the dribble. Next years team won’t be getting bullied inside with the size we’ve added.

Advertisement
Back