Buzz from Saturday’s practice

View as article
Nate was an incredible as a tackling machine. He certainly had the stats to back that up. I'm not denying his tackling skills and ability. I'm just taking Lewis, Morgan, and Barrow over him. However, I don't think they were more of a thumper or violent hitter than Nate. Also, Darrin Smith is criminally underrated here for his skills. Did he ever miss a tackle or take a bad angle?
Even in HS Nate tried to kill people every play.

Advertisement
Yes statistics and statistics alone dictate a #1. This is the hard hitting content I login for.
People love to use stats except when they work against their narrative lol.

If someone is a true elite #1 WR in COLLEGE FOOTBALL, yes I expect them to have production when they were a starter for 2 seasons. Call me crazy. There isn’t something inherently wrong with a slot wr being your #1 Wr. You just need different types of WRs in the offense as well. Yeah it’s obviously better to have a Marvin Harrison jr….

Also I showed you what the top 4 ranked portal WRs produced and who they were. Do you think there will be WRs at their level in the spring window available? Imo I wouldn’t expect that. And when you have a lower supply of quality WRs available it is likely going to increase the cost of NiL to secure them. And really the $/production just wouldn’t be worth it I’m betting.

And like I said we already got great production out of our WRs. And we have a better qb now. We don’t need a superstar in the portal this year at WR. That would be a far better Investment next year. What we need is Horton/Trader/Carr to step up… we don’t NEED a portal guy that is going for 1k yards. We need a guy that can make 2-3 big plays a game. Restrepo and George can handle the higher volume stuff.

Porter/Stafford/Mack?
Brown/Richard
Powell/Day?
Riley/Patterson
Harris/Williams
Even worse when you put it on paper.

Stop spitting that nonsense out!

fb17f6953b52e537dcf9cfa3fb2b9128.gif

200w.gif

That's not a good secondary.
Yet can still be an improvement over last season. And I also expect to see a major improvement from the pass rush this season with our EDGEs healthy/improved/Alston addition. So that should also make it easier on them. Also we will be more athletic at LB which could help too.

… and our defense was already good last season. My only question in the secondary compared to last season is do we have a guy that will create turnovers like Kinchens did. Otherwise I absolutely think this can be an improved unit as a whole

Yet can still be an improvement over last season. And I also expect to see a major improvement from the pass rush this season with our EDGEs healthy/improved/Alston addition. So that should also make it easier on them. Also we will be more athletic at LB which could help too.

… and our defense was already good last season. My only question in the secondary compared to last season is do we have a guy that will create turnovers like Kinchens did. Otherwise I absolutely think this can be an improved unit as a whole
I agree

Advertisement
... 2nd team secondary is concerning

That's all my brain was able to retain from your post, GA. We can argue over the quality of the first team (I personally am unconvinced they're more than mid-ACC). But if your second team is nonexistent, you're in big trouble no matter what.

I still remember everyone screaming to pull Amari Carter off the field. Then he gets a targeting call, comes off the field, and our backup safeties get torched. Same thing with DJ Ivey. TBH, same with JW and Couch. No matter how good or bad these guys were, we had no backup plan.

That's all my brain was able to retain from your post, GA. We can argue over the quality of the first team (I personally am unconvinced they're more than mid-ACC). But if your second team is nonexistent, you're in big trouble no matter what.

I still remember everyone screaming to pull Amari Carter off the field. Then he gets a targeting call, comes off the field, and our backup safeties get torched. Same thing with DJ Ivey. TBH, same with JW and Couch. No matter how good or bad these guys were, we had no backup plan.
There is no backup plan when you don't have backup players.

Between QB, TEs, the OL, what is returning at WR and the recruiting rankings of the other guys at WR, it would be difficult justifying spending limited NIL resources on a legit WR if that comes at the expense of DB or RB.

There’s no guarantee the CB room is even an above average P4 unit.

If Mario needs even more talent at WR then what he currently has to make the offense work, then the issue isn’t the WR room.

Going into the offseason, I had WR1 as our greatest position of need. I'm in agreement with you now that it's less important than a couple other spots, in particular DB. And it's probably true that an elite big WR won't even come available. But if a one does hit the portal, we would be foolish not to pursue him heavily. The budget argument just seems very myopic.

I think we have a clear upgrade at starting CBs this year over last season. Basically trading couch and Davis for Damari/Powell/jadais Richard (1yr more developed for brown/Richard over last yr). To me that is a very clear improvement. We are worse with backup CBs - at this pt we have to just hope Stafford develops and Freeney wasn't a complete waste of an addition. This is why we absolutely need CB no matter what still. Like we need to get a young guy that can be a CB 4 immediately but has opportunity to win starting Job next yr.

Starting safeties are worse, but I think we are probably actually better with depth than last yr BECAUSE we have guys another year developed. I think Patterson can be great but is a frosh. So who knows if he'll be solid this year or not. But he is more talented/potential than most guys we've had at safety recently - so it wouldn't be terrible if he was needed. Jaden Harris imo is going to at least be solid, probably above average to good. Powell if we need safety will be our starter there and imo would be just plain good. Like obviously if our Safeties are ***, we aren't just gonna leave Powell in the nickel role, he'd have to play safety. Then we got savion who is likely to also be solid, maybe not as good as Harris, but like at the very least is going to be solid against the run. Less will be asked of him than James williams, so he'll probably be fine. Markeith could still develop... That to me is 3-4 safeties that aren't likely going to be great or anything, but are more than we had to work with last year as soon as Kinchens was out.

Tl;Dr: compared to last yr, better starting CBs but worse depth. Better depth at safety but worse starters.

Advertisement
It's not difficult at all. Every school in America deals with transfers. If the strategy is to hold on to players at all costs out of fear of something better, then how long does one maintain a job? The calculus is as simple as the best players should play.

Spoken like somebody who probably has never managed a team before.

Whenever you introduce a new hire to an existing team there is disruption. Nobody sets out with a goal to acquire inferior talent. The goal will always be to acquire talent that makes your existing team better. That’s not in dispute. However, acquiring talent requires that you pay for that talent and the going rate is the market rate or higher. When you acquire new talent inevitably those that remain question their self worth and may opt for another team that values their talent (read: pays more) or values their contributions with guarantees of more playing time, etc. Therefore, when a coach utilizes the Portal, consideration MUST be given to the impact the addition(s) will have on the existing roster (NIL payments, playing time, egos, etc.).

For example, Mario went out and signed Ward and Poff. He signed not one, but two players with the potential to be the top 2 QBs on the roster. That tells me Mario does not really care (notwithstanding what he may say in private or public) what Jaccuri or Emory decide to do. If they want to stay and compete, fine…let’s go. If they want to transfer elsewhere…best of luck young fella. As a fan, that’s what I want Mario to do. However, it would be naive for us to believe Mario did not consider the possible transfer of one or both of those players. He absolutely did and gave zero 💩. It’s part of the calculus. Period.

It’s never as easy as just go out and find more talent. There are consequences to acquiring talent and you must anticipate and balance those interests when filling needs. To ignore the impact on the roster is a simpleton view.

Last edited:
Between QB, TEs, the OL, what is returning at WR and the recruiting rankings of the other guys at WR, it would be difficult justifying spending limited NIL resources on a legit WR if that comes at the expense of DB or RB.

There’s no guarantee the CB room is even an above average P4 unit.

If Mario needs even more talent at WR then what he currently has to make the offense work, then the issue isn’t the WR room.

This may seem counterintuitive, but I think a top CB will only marginally improve the defense, but a top WR could make the difference between having an offense ranked in the 17-25 range and move it to the 7-10 range. When your best player by far is the QB, give has many weapons as possible. Being able to move the ball at will and control the tempo of the game is going to help Guidry more than another DB.

Spoken like somebody who probably has never managed a team before.

Whenever you introduce a new hire to an existing team there is disruption. Nobody sets out with a goal to acquire inferior talent. The goal will always be to acquire talent that makes your existing team better. That’s not in dispute. However, acquiring talent requires that you pay for that talent and the going rate is the market rate or higher. When you acquire new talent inevitably those that remain question their self worth and may opt for another team that values their talent (read: pays more) or values their contributions with guarantees of more playing time, etc. Therefore, when a coach utilizes the Portal, consideration MUST be given to the impact the addition(s) will have on the existing roster (NIL payments, playing time, egos, etc.).

For example, Mario went out and signed Ward and Poff. He signed not one, but two players with the potential to be the top 2 QBs on the roster. That tells me Mario does not really care (notwithstanding what he may say in private or public) what Jaccuri or Emory decide to do. If they want to stay and compete, fine…let’s go. If they want to transfer elsewhere…best of luck young fella. As a fan, that’s what I want Mario to do. However, it would be naive for us to believe Mario has not considered the possible transfer of one or both of those players. It’s part of the calculus. Period.

It’s never as easy as just go out and find more talent. There are consequences to acquiring talent and you must anticipate and balance those interests when filling needs. To ignore the impact on the roster is a simpleton view.
Not really sure what you are attempting to illustrate. Mario saw a deficiency at QB and improved via portal with disregard for roster. If you think he should only do that at certain positions then whatever you manage/d is destined to fail.

Advertisement
Not really sure what you are attempting to illustrate. Mario saw a deficiency at QB and improved via portal with disregard for roster. If you think he should only do that at certain positions then whatever you manage/d is destined to fail.

My point is that the net impact on the roster must be considered when acquiring talent. If the team or position group is better off with the addition, then full speed ahead. Mario brought in 2 QBs because we are better off with Ward and Poff EVEN if it means Jaccuri and Emory bolt.

If the net impact is you gain one new starter but it also results in losing another starter, did you really improve the team?

Purely hypothetical (no inside info)….If Mario utilizes the Portal and brings in a starting caliber CB but that causes say Damari Brown to leave via the Portal to join his brother at fsu are we better off in the secondary? Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on who we bring in, right? I guarantee you Mario will factor the impact of the new corner on his current starters and key contributors.

That’s my point. You must consider the net impact to the team.

My point is that the net impact on the roster must be considered when acquiring talent. If the team or position group is better off with the addition, then full speed ahead. Mario brought in 2 QBs because we are better off with Ward and Poff EVEN if it means Jaccuri and Emory bolt.

If the net impact is you gain one new starter but it also results in losing another starter, did you really improve the team?

Purely hypothetical (no inside info)….If Mario utilizes the Portal and brings in a starting caliber CB but that causes say Damari Brown to leave via the Portal to join his brother at fsu are we better off in the secondary? Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on who we bring in, right? I guarantee you Mario will factor the impact of the new corner on his current starters and key contributors.

That’s my point. You must consider the net impact to the team.
Consider it sure but it should not prevent you from improving the team at the "potential expense of losing a player." If Will Johnson wanted to play for Miami this year, but it would cause DPJ and Damari to transfer, then the entire coaching staff should be helping pack bags. I can't name more than 6 players that should be unquestioned starters. Even if we can't afford upgrades everywhere, hurt feelings should be the least of our worries. This is a critical year for winning football games. That changes the "culture" more than anything else.

Did you really type Stewart wasn't a #1 and hit send. Lmao y'all gotta fight back against these bitter *** takes. It's ok to acknowledge shortcomings without losing credibility.

You're right.. Let me take my L...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325_180941_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_180941_Chrome.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240325_180918_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_180918_Chrome.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240325_181008_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240325_181008_Chrome.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement
Consider it sure but it should not prevent you from improving the team at the "potential expense of losing a player." If Will Johnson wanted to play for Miami this year, but it would cause DPJ and Damari to transfer, then the entire coaching staff should be helping pack bags. I can't name more than 6 players that should be unquestioned starters. Even if we can't afford upgrades everywhere, hurt feelings should be the least of our worries. This is a critical year for winning football games. That changes the "culture" more than anything else.
Sure if you’re just hating on our players for no reason lol. Ward, Restrepo, Bain, Mesidor, Mauigoa, Powell, and our entire offensive Line, and likely whoever we bring in at RB. Thats 10-12 minimum. And just cause there is a question doesn’t mean it’s a problem - could just be a good competition.

What are you attempting to prove?

I'm sorry. I took your previous statement as you questioning the validity of my argument that E. Stewart is not some no-brainer, alpha dog, definitive #1 WR. I read your reply as implying that I questioned Stewart's status as such in some lame attempt to save face or avoid "taking my L"

If that's not what you were doing, please accept my humblest apology. If that is what you were doing, then I am I attempting to prove-by way of posting stats which show that Evan Stewart put up production in line with Colby Young's- that a valid argument could be made that Evan Stewart is a good receiver, but not someone for whom you break the bank to acquire

If you disagree with me on that point, after seeing the numbers, and after not shedding many tears over a player who left Miami following two seasons with similar productivity, then I don't think further conversation will get us very far

I'm sorry. I took your previous statement as you questioning the validity of my argument that E. Stewart is not some no-brainer, alpha dog, definitive #1 WR. I read your reply as implying that I questioned Stewart's status as such in some lame attempt to save face or avoid "taking my L"

If that's not what you were doing, please accept my humblest apology. If that is what you were doing, then I am I attempting to prove-by way of posting stats which show that Evan Stewart put up production in line with Colby Young's- that a valid argument could be made that Evan Stewart is a good receiver, but not someone for whom you break the bank to acquire

If you disagree with me on that point, after seeing the numbers, and after not shedding many tears over a player who left Miami following two seasons with similar productivity, then I don't think further conversation will get us very far
If you look at just those stats they don't tell you that Stewart's production drop coincided with QB1 being injured. They don't tell you that Stewart was injured halfway through the season. The stats don't show ability to win 1-1 matchups consistently or the ability to separate from the defender. I'm telling you that if you are basing your argument off what he has accomplished to date without projecting what he could do in the right system with an elite QB you are viewing it wrong.

Advertisement
Back