Buzz from Saturday’s practice

View as article
Between QB, TEs, the OL, what is returning at WR and the recruiting rankings of the other guys at WR, it would be difficult justifying spending limited NIL resources on a legit WR if that comes at the expense of DB or RB.

There’s no guarantee the CB room is even an above average P4 unit.

If Mario needs even more talent at WR then what he currently has to make the offense work, then the issue isn’t the WR room.

Advertisement
Between QB, TEs, the OL, what is returning at WR and the recruiting rankings of the other guys at WR, it would be difficult justifying spending limited NIL resources on a legit WR if that comes at the expense of DB or RB.

If Mario needs even more talent at WR then what he currently has to make the offense work, then the issue isn’t the WR room.
Same with the safeties. Our fans are glossing over how weak the overall DB room is.

I agree, but we truly need an elite RB to pair with Cam.

Defenses should have to choose between equally lethal run and passing games.
Agree, 100%! There’s no doubt we’re gonna go out and get a top-notch running back in the portal now since we just lost a guy there, but I would say we were going to go out and get one anyways. The key for me is, does Horton look like a guy on the outside that isn’t limited anymore physically, will have that answer by the end of spring. If he looks like a guy on the outside, that can take control, then I’m good just riding with him, but if he still shows limitations. We definitely need to get a receiver in the portal too.

Nailed it. We need to spend every remaining dollar on the secondary.

we are worse at RB than we are at WR today. We are far worse on the DBackfield than at WR too.
Yeah we are top 5 NIL, which is how we got Ward, and a great recruiting class back to back. Being top5 doesn't mean you can afford everyone especially when you're at the disadvantage of needing to overpay with a suck tax.
I agree, 100% that this team needs a top-notch running back and a solid cornerback and possibly a starting safety more than receiver right now. But you don’t get, cam ward and not fill up his basket with the best weapons you can get for him. Like I said before, this is a go for it year and I fully believe we are going to go for it and I think we’re going to get a number one receiver on the outside unless Horton shows by the end of spring he can be that guy.

Advertisement

What if signing a top ranked DB from the Portal triggers one of your projected DB starters to enter the Portal? What if signing a top outside threat at WR only triggers one of your projected second string WRs to hit the Portal? Does that change your thinking?

The calculus isn’t as simple as looking at your needs but what the additional add on does to your roster. It’s difficult to manage, quite honestly.

Nate in 22 games as a starter had 300+ Tackles....15 TFL...and 7 sacks...think about that in regards to UMs best tackler ever.
Nate was an incredible as a tackling machine. He certainly had the stats to back that up. I'm not denying his tackling skills and ability. I'm just taking Lewis, Morgan, and Barrow over him. However, I don't think they were more of a thumper or violent hitter than Nate. Also, Darrin Smith is criminally underrated here for his skills. Did he ever miss a tackle or take a bad angle?

What if signing a top ranked DB from the Portal triggers one of your projected DB starters to enter the Portal? What if signing a top outside threat at WR only triggers one of your projected second string WRs to hit the Portal? Does that change your thinking?

The calculus isn’t as simple as looking at your needs but what the additional add on does to your roster. It’s difficult to manage, quite honestly.

This! Any move you make thru the portal can hurt your roster. This is no free agency in reality as you don't have any contract on players. They can opt out and you get no compensation creating additional holes at the roster. You only do it at spots like RB were there are glaring holes, injuries and freshman's. At WR unless is top #1 wr stud you pass. At CB you can get an experience guy to share reps.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Perryman, Nate Webster, and Rod Carter are the 3 best hitters/thumpers IMO. Ray Lewis, Dan Morgan, and Micheal Barrow are the 3 best tacklers and overall best linebackers to me.
I cannot agree with this grouping based solely on the Barrow/Tamarick Vanover hit. To this day, it stands as the greatest hit I've ever seen.

Grainy af, but still hits.

Then the culture that we built in sacrifice of wins was fake..

Advertisement

It's not difficult at all. Every school in America deals with transfers. If the strategy is to hold on to players at all costs out of fear of something better, then how long does one maintain a job? The calculus is as simple as the best players should play.

Advertisement
Jaden Harris is a better athlete than Kam Kinchens or James Williams. Faster in straight line, quicker in short area, and I think can jump higher.

Not as good of a pure football player just yet, as he didn't start played football until his junior year in high school.

I am a big fan.

Now Riley is 6'2 over 200 pounds, and he is a really good tackler, but I wonder how he deals with coverage in space.

I am not as down on the secondary as many, at least the starters, BUT we don't have depth, and certainly not experienced depth across the board.

Porter/Stafford/Mack?
Brown/Richard
Powell/Day?
Riley/Patterson
Harris/Williams

2nd team secondary is concerning

Jaden Harris is a better athlete than Kam Kinchens or James Williams. Faster in straight line, quicker in short area, and I think can jump higher.

Not as good of a pure football player just yet, as he didn't start played football until his junior year in high school.

I am a big fan.

Now Riley is 6'2 over 200 pounds, and he is a really good tackler, but I wonder how he deals with coverage in space.

I am not as down on the secondary as many, at least the starters, BUT we don't have depth, and certainly not experienced depth across the board.

Porter/Stafford/Mack?
Brown/Richard
Powell/Day?
Riley/Patterson
Harris/Williams

2nd team secondary is concerning
That's not a good secondary.

Advertisement
Back