Buzz from Saturday’s practice

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Here are some Saturday practice tidbits from conversations with sources:

- Miami’s quarterback room is as deep as it’s been in years. In the past, the second and third team would barely function on offense (especially in spring with multiple guys out). Now, you have several QBs who can make plays.

Cam Ward and Reese Poffenbarger in particular had big days getting out of trouble with their legs and making strong throws. This is a much more creative QB room than in years past.

- You’ve been...

Continue reading...

Advertisement

- Miami’s quarterback room is as deep as it’s been in years. In the past, the second and third team would barely function on offense (especially in spring with multiple guys out). Now, you have several QBs who can make plays.

Cam Ward and Reese Poffenbarger in particular had big days getting out of trouble with their legs and making strong throws. This is a much more creative QB room than in years past.

- You’ve been hearing the same three names from me all spring- JoJo Trader, Ny Carr and Elija Lofton. Nothing changed today. All three made huge plays, both on and off script. Lofton in particular is extremely versatile and impressive.

- Shemar Kirk had his best day of spring with multiple big plays down the field.

- Robert Stafford has the athletic tools to play CB. He can really run. Still needs some more strength and reps, and there may be growing pains, but he has real ability. He made a nice play downfield smothering Carr.

- Meesh Powell and Xavier Restrepo continue to battle in the slot. Both are hard workers and experienced playmakers. Restrepo made a beautiful one-handed catch on a pass behind him in the seam and numerous other big catches.

- Riley Williams and Elijah Arroyo look the part. They are huge. Williams continues to make big plays down the field.

- TreVonte Citizen absorbed some big hits and finished with physicality and lean.
Any shot they used dan Radakovich as a tackling dummy by chance

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Really curious about Citizen’s progress now with Parish gone and Fletcher’s timeline unknown.
Patience and time. Tbh things have worked at well for him, slowly working his way back with no pressure. He’s now getting more touches than anytime since he’s been here. Which should help his biggest issue “ confidence “.

I’m intrigued to see how things unfold. He’s not back to himself but as I’ve said “ there’s still time “. Confidence and being able to just play without thinking goes a long ways.

Ward and Poff escaping with their legs multiple times - is that more so due to the OL still needing to gel a bit and the DL is creating pressure up front? Are the WRs failing to separate consistently and (dare I say) the secondary is stepping up a tad? No real wrong answer, I’m just curious. Pros and cons to all the above, and it’s all taken with a grain of salt. It’s still early Spring ball.

Scramble ability with both is huge, don’t get me wrong. The ability to extend plays is invaluable and something this offense needs. I’m just curious because we’ve heard multiple times now that Poff looks to run a lot, maybe that’s happy feet or maybe that’s because of pressure coming.

Citizen blurb sounds almost make-a-wish like, hoping for the best but I don’t have a ton of faith he’ll be the guy we recruited out of high school. Taking hits does not mean he ran well, which is what most of the responses have been so far. Good to see him taking hits of course, there’s always that mental side after an injury where you’re afraid to seek contact. Again it’s super early in Spring, he’s got plenty of time to trust his body again and showcase that natural ability we saw in high school.

I’m excited to see the young WRs with my own two eyes, a lot of hype thus far and given the tidbits we’ve received via portal funds and how to allocate what we have left, we pretty much need one (or both) to emerge as key playmakers.

Not losing hope yet, but I need to hear more from Chris Johnson given the chance he has to take a stranglehold on RB2 with Parrish gone, Citizen a major question mark, Fletcher hurt, Ajay nothing elite (thus far, despite me being somewhat high on him coming out last year and flashing at times), etc.

Someone from the CB room needs to emerge as a true CB1. Especially if we don’t want to spend on a CB1 in the portal…Brown, Porter, Stafford, Richard, Powell…someone has to earn the right to stay on the field at all times. Time for Chevis to cook. Stafford needs reps, lots of them. Keeping him healthy is key.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Patience and time. Tbh things have worked at well for him, slowly working his way back with no pressure. He’s now getting more touches than anytime since he’s been here. Which should help his biggest issue “ confidence “.

I’m intrigued to see how things unfold. He’s not back to himself but as I’ve said “ there’s still time “. Confidence and being able to just play without thinking goes a long ways.
jim carrey GIF

- You’ve been hearing the same three names from me all spring- JoJo Trader, Ny Carr and Elija Lofton. Nothing changed today. All three made huge plays, both on and off script. Lofton in particular is extremely versatile and impressive.

- Shemar Kirk had his best day of spring with multiple big plays down the field.

- Robert Stafford has the athletic tools to play CB. He can really run. Still needs some more strength and reps, and there may be growing pains, but he has real ability. He made a nice play downfield smothering Carr.

- Meesh Powell and Xavier Restrepo continue to battle in the slot. Both are hard workers and experienced playmakers. Restrepo made a beautiful one-handed catch on a pass behind him in the seam and numerous other big catches.

- Riley Williams and Elijah Arroyo look the part. They are huge. Williams continues to make big plays down the field.

- TreVonte Citizen absorbed some big hits and finished with physicality and lean.
Great news about TreVonte!

Advertisement
Back