Buzz from Saturday’s practice

View as article
Advertisement
Agree, 100%! There’s no doubt we’re gonna go out and get a top-notch running back in the portal now since we just lost a guy there, but I would say we were going to go out and get one anyways. The key for me is, does Horton look like a guy on the outside that isn’t limited anymore physically, will have that answer by the end of spring. If he looks like a guy on the outside, that can take control, then I’m good just riding with him, but if he still shows limitations. We definitely need to get a receiver in the portal too.
we need both a RB and WR, but I think the RB position--under the current circumstances--has the most influence on the upside of our season.

I feel this is a turning point for our program and Mario will surround Cam with the best players to succeed.

Advertisement
Spoken like somebody who probably has never managed a team before.

Whenever you introduce a new hire to an existing team there is disruption. Nobody sets out with a goal to acquire inferior talent. The goal will always be to acquire talent that makes your existing team better. That’s not in dispute. However, acquiring talent requires that you pay for that talent and the going rate is the market rate or higher. When you acquire new talent inevitably those that remain question their self worth and may opt for another team that values their talent (read: pays more) or values their contributions with guarantees of more playing time, etc. Therefore, when a coach utilizes the Portal, consideration MUST be given to the impact the addition(s) will have on the existing roster (NIL payments, playing time, egos, etc.).

For example, Mario went out and signed Ward and Poff. He signed not one, but two players with the potential to be the top 2 QBs on the roster. That tells me Mario does not really care (notwithstanding what he may say in private or public) what Jaccuri or Emory decide to do. If they want to stay and compete, fine…let’s go. If they want to transfer elsewhere…best of luck young fella. As a fan, that’s what I want Mario to do. However, it would be naive for us to believe Mario did not consider the possible transfer of one or both of those players. He absolutely did and gave zero 💩. It’s part of the calculus. Period.

It’s never as easy as just go out and find more talent. There are consequences to acquiring talent and you must anticipate and balance those interests when filling needs. To ignore the impact on the roster is a simpleton view.
I want talented people who are great teammates. The portal seems like a science and an art, much like hiring in the real world.

As a head coach I would look hard at why the player is leaving their last school. Something I think Manny ignored for "Talent"
Everyone wants to bring up JJ and his "psychology" degree, it's going to take some organizational psychology to figure the portal out.

Is the current Miami locker room strong enough to withstand a risky portal transfer? The staff trusted enough by current players to withstand a bad signee?

Did the head coach or position coach leave?
New scheme that doesn't fit their style of play?
Or did they punch an assistant coach in the jaw?
Was their last team throwing a pizza party the day he left or did they fight to keep him?
Is this chasing NIL money outright or a nice mix of NIL and a better fit?

Advertisement
Clue me in. Why are we hating on the AD now?
hes not very good at his job (coach selection, the promised upgrades have been reduced as noted by a few insiders, and he appears to be basically setting up his retirement fund when he took this job (again noted by a few insiders), and he appears to be overruled by boosters and non athletic people again which is no diff than any other AD here except he costs more)

Advertisement
Imo playing physical is the easiest part when coming back for a rb. Going full steam ahead, playing north and south is nothing more than effort. The thinking comes in when playing in space or trying to make guys miss in a phone booth. Stopping / going. That’s the part that can make you a tad uncomfortable when you aren’t confident in knee. Cutting / planting without thinking is when he’ll be fully back. That and the explosion hopefully returning.
Agree with cutting and planting meaning he is fully back. But, from my experience with my knee as an Rb, those first few hits were huge scary, do not undersell how good that news is.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back