I want the TRUTH!!!!

Would you have hired Golden 2011 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1CN

Sophomore
IF you was president of the University of Miami
in 2011 would you have hired AL Golden....

Advertisement
I still think he was a good hire. Lets be honest, I do not think many would have stayed after the bomb dropped IMO.

Yes. I think he was right for what was about to go down with the NCAA. Doubtful any other coach stays.

He's recruited well and set the roster up during a tough time. If things stay the same we **** can him and bring in a good coach.

The cupboard will be quite full.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes/No.

Besides staying with us through the sanctions and "selling cars", hasn't done much.

-Mark D as DC
-Worst defense in UM history
-No player development
-Losing to Duke
-Losing to FSU 3 years straight
-Can't close.

In 2011, the hire made sense. A young coach from an area where a lot of the school's students come from, team captain for and learned under Joe Paterno, a deserved reputation as a stout recruiter that could turn bad teams around, and an all-around likable image for the program. His experience was lacking, but he was cheap, which the university loved and still does unfortunately, and he was pretty much the only real candidate that emerged that was also inexpensive because nobody else really wanted the job. The teams he was involved with increased their wins every year while he was there and that was reason enough to believe giving him the reigns of an elite program in the best recruiting base in the country with the most impressive history since 1980 would lead to the program's return to prominence. The university also probably like the idea that he could handle the looming NCAA issues that would harm the program since he had dealt with wounded programs before.

Fast forward to 2014, the writing is on the wall to make most people believe that this was an overall bad hire, but in 2011 there was reason to be very optimistic. Golden stayed in spite of the NCAA problems when nearly every other coach would have left. Golden led us through the NCAA witch hunt and helped sway public opinion to our side. He put together good enough teams in 2011 and 2012 to keep us respectable enough. He has raised the recruiting standard to a level we haven't had since the early Coker years. So there is talent here now.

That being said, he's made a lot of missteps along the way. He came down here expecting recruiting to work the same way Pennsylvania does and that couldn't be more wrong. He kept a defensive coordinator who has numerous pitfalls ranging from being a bad play caller, a bad recruiter, and a douche in person based solely on favoritism. He slow played South Florida recruiting in favor of out of state players. When he finally did come around to local recruiting, he employed a defensive scheme that is unfavorable to the recruits and has steadfastly refused to change it in the slightest. He flirted with Penn State in the scummiest, most unethical manner possible. His successful recruitment here can be attributed more in part to his assistants rather than himself. (Coley, Brown, Barrow, etc..) Finally, he has not played Miami style and brand football while continuing to be beat by average to above average teams and usually by 20 points.

In 2011, I would have hired Al Golden. In 2014, if he goes anything less than 8-4 and does not win the Coastal, I would also fire Al Golden.

Last edited:
Fat **** needs to go. Every year here he is setting us back an additional two. This is no better than having Randy here. It may even be worse...

The way I look at it, he wins this year and gets a big recruiting class by flipping those he has lost, or he goes 8-4/7-5 and gets canned.

Win win IMO.

Advertisement
For those that say let Al Golden go. Who else would you bring to Miami?

Miami isn't going to pay top dollar for a coach. We don't have that type of funding. What coach, that is available, or assistant coach, that may be looking for a HC gig do you think wants to come here?

The way I look at it, he wins this year and gets a big recruiting class by flipping those he has lost, or he goes 8-4/7-5 and gets canned.

Win win IMO.

I like the logic, but take it further. Who comes in if AG gets canned?

Miami isn't going to pay top dollar for a coach. We don't have that type of funding. What coach, that is available, or assistant coach, that may be looking for a HC gig do you think wants to come here?

Butch Davis FFS!

Stop being daft.

I would of never left the Big East Conference & tore down the Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
Advertisement
**** no, it was a mistake then just like it is now. He hasn't proven **** against a team with a pulse in his entire career. This isn't San Jose state, wether they would have stayed through the NCAA **** is irrelevant, a program with a highly visible brand grabbed a slack jawed ****** instead of someone worth a ****.

We will never win this conference as long as jimbo is in tally and dado is at Clemson. We may never win this division as long as cut cliff is at duke and the neck is in Blacksburg.

BUTCH DAVIS.....and we would get him cheap. Chud is available and Mario would come in a heartbeat.

As for 2011, we had a chance to get Marc Trestman.....smdh!!

Last edited:
In 2011, the hire made sense. A young coach from an area where a lot of the school's students come from, team captain for and learned under Joe Paterno, a deserved reputation as a stout recruiter that could turn bad teams around, and an all-around likable image for the program. His experience was lacking, but he was cheap, which the university loved and still does unfortunately, and he was pretty much the only real candidate that emerged that was also inexpensive because nobody else really wanted the job. The teams he was involved with increased their wins every year while he was there and that was reason enough to believe giving him the reigns of an elite program in the best recruiting base in the country with the most impressive history since 1980 would lead to the program's return to prominence. The university also probably like the idea that he could handle the looming NCAA issues that would harm the program since he had dealt with wounded programs before.

Fast forward to 2014, the writing is on the wall to make most people believe that this was an overall bad hire, but in 2011 there was reason to be very optimistic. Golden stayed in spite of the NCAA problems when nearly every other coach would have left. Golden led us through the NCAA witch hunt and helped sway public opinion to our side. He put together good enough teams in 2011 and 2012 to keep us respectable enough. He has raised the recruiting standard to a level we haven't had since the early Coker years. So there is talent here now.

That being said, he's made a lot of missteps along the way. He came down here expecting recruiting to work the same way Pennsylvania does and the couldn't be more wrong. He kept a defensive coordinator who has numerous pitfalls ranging from being a bad play caller, a bad recruiter, and a douche in person based solely on favoritism. He slow played South Florida recruiting in favor of out of state players. When he finally did come around to local recruiting, he employed a defensive scheme that is unfavorable to the recruits and has steadfastly refused to change it in the slightest. He flirted with Penn State in the scummiest, most unethical manner possible. His successful recruitment here can be attributed more in part to his assistants rather than himself. (Coley, Brown, Barrow, etc..) Finally, he has not played Miami style and brand football while continuing to be beat but average to above average teams and usually by 20 points.

In 2011, I would have hired Al Golden. In 2014, if he goes anything less than 8-4 and does not win the Coastal, I would also fire Al Golden.

Excellent post!

This is a good question imo. Say we do go 7-5/8-4, hopefully not, and Golden is canned who replaces him?

Advertisement
Back