Zone vs Power Run

• Thread starter Deleted member 16870
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16870

I’d love to see what the yards per carry are with zone runs (either inside or outside) vs power runs (guards/tackles pulling) this season. Not sure if any of you have them. I’d bet there is a huge discrepancy between the two.

Every time we pull off a 5-10 yard game it’s a power run scheme. I was big on the Lashlee hire because I thought we were going to get this as the run scheme. Relies on less on a RBs vision and making the right read. Hit the hole, if they are a spill team and the puller can’t dig him out, bounce outside. I think we could all agree Cam would have had a much better season this and last year with this type of run scheme. Guys are going downhill vs horizontal and looking for a hole.

From an OL coach perspective, the easiest block in football is a down block. For a DL to cross face or shoot in the pullers pocket is not an easy task. Run fits need to be on assignment or a run is going big. Zone scheme one guy can shoot a gap and cause trouble. This is why Bama/Oklahoma when they can’t get things going, they go back to power runs.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back