Zamora injury

scane

Redshirt Freshman
The story takes a turn for the worse

SS will be okay with Vilar, but 2B becomes a major concern. Unfortunately middle infield was the place positionally where depth is the weakest. I would try Lauck at 2nd, and hope he adapts reasonably well like Iskenderian did.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Great start to a promising season. Figures.

Defense has probably been our weakest point for the better part of at least ten years. Way, way too many bad errors in key moments.

I think it has to be either Lauck or Tuero. Paige, unless he's somehow gotten much better, can't hit ACC pitching. I doubt it happens but I'd experiment with moving Lala to 2B and getting Thomas in the lineup at OF. That'd really give us our best 9 hitters in the order

What awful luck this program has had over the past few months. Hall, Eskew, now Zamora gone. Palmquist suspended. We still probably have the best team in the ACC Coastal but I don't see us as a top-5 team anymore

Crushing blow but Zamora has been up and down. The case for Vilar batting 3rd:

Hit .291 with 39 RBI…Second on the team in hits with 69, tied for team lead with 22 multi-hit games and was third with 11 multi-RBI performances

LF Lala
CF Jenkins
SS Vilar 39 RBI
C Del 72 RBI
3B Gil 44 RBI
1B Toral 67 RBI
RF Rivera 31 RBI
DH Gates 31 RBI
2B Tuero

Last edited:
Advertisement
It may be the return of small ball to Coral Gables this year. Jenkins and Tuero are going to need to be great at situational hitting. Whoever does that best or whoever can lay one down to move a runner over should bat 2nd IMO.

Tuero is a lefty known for putting the ball in play. Perhaps he fits in the 2 hole. A 345 of Del, Gil, Toral isn't bad.

Tuero is a lefty known for putting the ball in play. Perhaps he fits in the 2 hole. A 345 of Del, Gil, Toral isn't bad.
Ahhh didn't remember he was a lefty. That's huge. Also I'll take that 3 4 5 all day. Have Jenkins in bottom half for some speed in that half. This batting lineup is complete with or without Zamora. We will miss him but the pieces are still there if everyone does their job consitently.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think it has to be either Lauck or Tuero. Paige, unless he's somehow gotten much better, can't hit ACC pitching. I doubt it happens but I'd experiment with moving Lala to 2B and getting Thomas in the lineup at OF. That'd really give us our best 9 hitters in the order

What awful luck this program has had over the past few months. Hall, Eskew, now Zamora gone. Palmquist suspended. We still probably have the best team in the ACC Coastal but I don't see us as a top-5 team anymore
If Tuero is a better fielder when the lights go on than he has been in practice, then it’s a pretty decent plug and play scenario. Paige seemingly has improved a lot at the plate, but I still don’t see him as more than a quality backup.

I guess the good news is that (outside Florida) the first six weeks is the lightest part of the schedule providing plenty of time to feel things out and find a solution.

With the reasonable assumption that Eskew, Hall, and Zamora received scholarship money, that leaves us starting the season with at most 24 scholarship players.

I can’t help but wish Escala had stayed, and I suspect he and Gino probably feel the same way at this point.

This is the type of loss that keeps you out of Omaha. No way around it. Maybe our best player in the eyes on MLB.

Advertisement
This is the type of loss that keeps you out of Omaha. No way around it. Maybe our best player in the eyes on MLB.

It's a huge loss, but imo the lineup is still as good as it was in 2016, with better starting pitching.

There's just no room for error now with injuries. We need our sp to live up to expectations and we can't take more injuries to the lineup. I think what this really changes are series like uf and Louisville where we play other top 8 teams

I can’t help but wish Escala had stayed, and I suspect he and Gino probably feel the same way at this point.
Yeah - Escala could have stepped in at 2B and been a solid player.

Maybe one of the other guys is a baller just waiting for a chance in the lineup. I know the options are Tuero/Paige/Pollak, but I'd like for Lauck to get some game reps there to see if he can be a solution. ****...I know this is WAY out there, but if Del can play DH/RF/C as a freshman, and the buzz around Jared Thomas is legit - see if Thomas could work into that mix at 2B if he's athletic enough.

At least there are options we can try out and the schedule (UF aside) starts soft enough to give us a chance to figure out some kind of solution.

Advertisement
The story takes a turn for the worse

SS will be okay with Vilar, but 2B becomes a major concern. Unfortunately middle infield was the place positionally where depth is the weakest. I would try Lauck at 2nd, and hope he adapts reasonably well like Iskenderian did.

Unfreakin real. I purposely stayed away thinking coming back before the end of opening week might be bad mojo. Son of a *****.

Was anyone else kind of waiting for this to happen?

Lately at UM if it's too good to be true then it always is.

This sucks for the team and for fans of the team wanting the team to reach new heights in 2020. But the biggest loser here isn't us, DiMare or anyone else except for Freddy himself. While he may be able to take a redshirt and return next year without losing his signing leverage, this could still cost him millions.

Advertisement
Back