Zach Smith Insight On Martell

Brock Berlin started 45 games as quarterback for the Evangel Eagles in their powerhouse days, passing for nearly 12,000 yards and 129 touchdowns. And he never left the field as a loser. 45 starts, 45 victories, topped off in 1999 by a third state championship.
So yes on the first part. National scheduling back then was not what it was today but he's from Louisiana. It was not slouch competition by any stretch.

Lmao. Tate has buried since his sophomore year in season - St. John Bosco, Kahuku, Long Beach Poly, Cedar Hill, Centennial, St Thomas Aquinas, schools in Texas and Bellevue (WA). Bellevue was the team that ended De LaSalle's famous 11-12 year run of being undefeated. He has beaten the biggest brands in the HS circuit from coast to coast and on national TV...Brock ain't shiit to Tate if u compare HS careers. 😂😂😂

Advertisement
Lmao. Tate has buried since his sophomore year in season - St. John Bosco, Kahuku, Long Beach Poly, Cedar Hill, Centennial, St Thomas Aquinas, schools in Texas and Bellevue (WA). Bellevue was the team that ended De LaSalle's famous 11-12 year run of being undefeated. He has beaten the biggest brands in the HS circuit from coast to coast and on national TV...Brock ain't shiit to Tate if u compare HS careers. 😂😂😂
Take your L. You earned it and it will only get worse if you keep trying to pursue your arguments. First off, nobody is denigrating Martell's accomplishments as a high school player. The notion that anyone here is doing that is something that you've attempted (unsuccessfully) to create out of thin air. My assertion was that their accomplishments were very similar and they are very similar. This is an undeniable fact. While Martell certainly has the edge in national victories, both QBs NEVER LOST A GAME in High School and unlike Martell, Berlin did NOT play in a state where the local competition was GARBAGE ON A STICK. The number of teams in Louisiana that would mop the floor with the best Non Bishop Gorman team in Nevada likely is over 100.

But is it still good enough to win? We won an NC with a guy with a very average arm: Steve Walsh. That was years ago but will it be decisive? Maybe not, given other attributes possessed by Martell?

Steve Walsh's arm was so average that he took a NFL team to the playoffs. Let that sink in.

Miami wins the 86 National Championship if Jimmy Johnson replaces Vinny Testaverde with Steve Walsh after Vinny Testaverde's third interception.

To summarize, he says he isn’t as good a thrower Braxton Miller was.

Best case scenario he’s a miniature Tim Tebow.

Not sure how much he can improve, but you’d think if he could be anything more than that Enos is the guy to help.

That's the way I see it. We don't need a "playmaker" at QB. Mobility is nice, but the guy needs to have an accurate arm and make good decisions. Hoping like crazy one of our three can provide that.

Advertisement
Read it earlier and drives home the point a lot of us see, that Martell is an elite playmaker. Something we maybe have never had and desperately need.
Enos will improve his passing and with his work ethic, he will be something to behold.

We don't desperately need an elite player maker at QB. We need someone with an accurate arm that makes good decisions.

And "improving his passing" is not that easy.

But is it still good enough to win? We won an NC with a guy with a very average arm: Steve Walsh. That was years ago but will it be decisive? Maybe not, given other attributes possessed by Martell?

Tate Martell best attributes is running the football, which can easily be taken away by a competent defensive coordinator. I prefer an athletic quarterback as opposed to a running quarterback. And athletic quarterback is still a throwing quarterback. Dorsey was very athletic. He wasn't a running quarterback but he had the athleticism to pick up yards with his feet. Also, Ken Dorsey was also one of the best basketball players on the team. He used to hold Court.

Look at the quarterbacks that Danny Enos has recruited thus far. They are all big guys with good arms. That should tell you that he values quarterbacks with ARM Talent as opposed to the Martell type. I think he likes a athletic quarterback. Athletic enough to pick up yards here and ther with his feet and extend passing plays.

Take your L. You earned it and it will only get worse if you keep trying to pursue your arguments. First off, nobody is denigrating Martell's accomplishments as a high school player. The notion that anyone here is doing that is something that you've attempted (unsuccessfully) to create out of thin air. My assertion was that their accomplishments were very similar and they are very similar. This is an undeniable fact. While Martell certainly has the edge in national victories, both QBs NEVER LOST A GAME in High School and unlike Martell, Berlin did NOT play in a state where the local competition was GARBAGE ON A STICK. The number of teams in Louisiana that would mop the floor with the best Non Bishop Gorman team in Nevada likely is over 100.

L? My assertion is that your assertion is based on your misguided I-wish-Louisiana fb mattered-on-the-national-high-school-stage theories rather than fact. Tate and Berlin accomplishments are not similar. Do not lie to yourself 😂😂😂😂😂. Centennial is a powerhouse in Nevada and ranked top 15 nationally plus Bishop Gorman added 2 or 3 national powers a year just to leave no doubt who was the big dawg when Tate was there. Louisiana HS football is nationally irrelevant. A floating body bag in the back wood swamps. You have great HS players though. I will give you that.

Advertisement
We don't desperately need an elite player maker at QB. We need someone with an accurate arm that makes good decisions.

And "improving his passing" is not that easy.
Completely disagree. What have almost every elite team that been to the playoffs have in common with a QB? What Martell brings and we especially need it more so with our OL.
He's a very accurate short passer and has a strong enough arm to get the ball down field, Enos is the best at making passers better.

Who has he buried at college level?

You realize Tate won a national title playing a national top schedule, right?

Advertisement
L? My assertion is that your assertion is based on your misguided I-wish-Louisiana fb mattered-on-the-national-high-school-stage theories rather than fact. Tate and Berlin accomplishments are not similar. Do not lie to yourself 😂😂😂😂😂. Centennial is a powerhouse in Nevada and ranked top 15 nationally plus Bishop Gorman added 2 or 3 national powers a year just to leave no doubt who was the big dawg when Tate was there. Louisiana HS football is nationally irrelevant. A floating body bag in the back wood swamps. You have great HS players though. I will give you that.
You played yourself the second that you asked the question whether or not Berlin had gone 45-0 as a starter without taking 30 seconds to perform a cursory Google search which would've quickly revealed that he did in fact, go 45-0 as a starter in high school. Everything after that is you trying to salvage a little bit of your wounded pride. To make it worse, you insist on trying to continue to defend Tate's high school record when such a defense is completely unnecessary because there isn't anyone saying that he didn't have one of the best high school records ever. He did. That is clear and there is no argument that he did not beat everyone he played against. Sure his local competition was virtually nonexistent but his national competition was not and that means a ton. The second way you play yourself is your dismissive attitude towards Louisiana High School Football. You don't have a leg to stand on there and your "analysis" on the topic is a joke.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back