You're Coach L, what do you do?

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Do you rip the team and tell basically ask them WTF is going on? Do you hammer home the point that we've sucked for a month? Do you move on and tell them to forget it, they're still a good team? Do you just use this as a "teaching moment" and try and fix the physical problems instead of concentrating on the mental?

Good thing I'm not Coach L, because I might have killed someone last night. Likely would have smashed a water cooler over someone's head until they were nothing put a pile of blood on the locker room floor.

Advertisement
I would explain to them the incredible opportunity they have ahead of them. How this is a moment they will remember for the rest of their lives. How even though they haven't played up to par the last few weeks it means nothing if they can start playing well in the future. Try to get them to picture what it would feel like when they are 40 years old and would have to look back and on this moment and how much it would pain them not to take advantage of the opportunity. Tell them they have the talent and expierience to make this special, but they have to be focused and put everything into it because again, they will regret it in the future if they don't.

It's all about motivation, getting the guys to play 100%. When they play inferior teams they seem lackadaisical and don't seem to go 100%.

But as we saw vs Duke we can hang with the top teams in the country, especially in the most hostile arena while they needed a career night from 1 guy to win. I feel like when we play the big names such as Duke/UNC/NCSt the team shows up and plays 100%.

The team just needs a sense of urgency, I'm not going to panic and claim this season was a lost cause and is over now, the team has the talent to win it all, it's all on the guys now to show if they actually want to win it all.

I would explain to them the incredible opportunity they have ahead of them. How this is a moment they will remember for the rest of their lives. How even though they haven't played up to par the last few weeks it means nothing if they can start playing well in the future. Try to get them to picture what it would feel like when they are 40 years old and would have to look back and on this moment and how much it would pain them not to take advantage of the opportunity. Tell them they have the talent and expierience to make this special, but they have to be focused and put everything into it because again, they will regret it in the future if they don't.

He should read this to them, then calmly walk out of the room.

Advertisement
Back