Your first UM game..

2005 in the OB vs. Georgia Tech.
Unfortunately a 14:10 loss.

I was visiting Miami on vacation from Germany.
As a "normal" German guy I played soccer in my youth but switched over to Football in my teens.
(where I am from a lot of American Bases are located so Football is at least popular a little bit)

So it was clear for me that during my vacation I wanted to see a live game.

I got caught by the Hurricane Virus and since then I am bleeding orange and green.
Unfortunately this means watching games through obscure streaming channels in the middle of the night quite a lot, which is getting tougher through the years because I changed from being a student to a father of 3.

So I never experienced the glory days of the Canes but hopefully I will be able to enjoy #6 with you guys quite soon.

Advertisement
2003 vs WVU.
Was 15...had watched UM for years as my family were all Canes fans, but I grew up in Montana, so I never made it to a game. Then, I was in Miami after a long, risky hitchhiking adventure through Central America and Colombia. Kellen Winslow Jr. was God that game.
I remember watching the game against UF earlier that season in a bar in Bogota and people going wild over it. What a time to be alive.
Bogota? Colombia, right? Have business there?Or just pleasure? Make it over to Medellin? Heard it rocked in the day.

2005 in the OB vs. Georgia Tech.
Unfortunately a 14:10 loss.

I was visiting Miami on vacation from Germany.
As a "normal" German guy I played soccer in my youth but switched over to Football in my teens.
(where I am from a lot of American Bases are located so Football is at least popular a little bit)

So it was clear for me that during my vacation I wanted to see a live game.

I got caught by the Hurricane Virus and since then I am bleeding orange and green.
Unfortunately this means watching games through obscure streaming channels in the middle of the night quite a lot, which is getting tougher through the years because I changed from being a student to a father of 3.

So I never experienced the glory days of the Canes but hopefully I will be able to enjoy #6 with you guys quite soon.

HURRICANE TRIVIA TIME!

What former Hurricane star was born in Germany?

Answer: Former WR and Dade County H.S. football legend, Dieter Matthes.

Advertisement
1st game: UM/FSU - 1984 (Miami murdered)
4th game: UM/MD - 1984 (Then biggest comeback in college football history)
5th game: UM.BC - 1984 (Flutie/Phelan)

I’ll admit it: I thought at the time that Jimmy Johnson was a bad hire.

If CIS would’ve been around in 1984 ...

I, too, thought Jimmy Johnson was a bad hire which goes to show you how much I know. We could add another name to the '84 Flutie/Phelan and that would be Darrell Fullerton, DB from Miami. Darrell was from New Smyrna Beach and my son knew him from track. We would occasionally see him long after this game and believe me it still haunted him.

I saw Fullerton play in HS. Skinny as a rail. I pretty much saw all of their games as my second wife went to New Smyrna High.

Long time ago.

That is awesome. I had no idea "married dorms" were a thing.

I also lived in the "married" dorms from 1957 - 61. There were 3, 3-story dorms located on ****erson Drive. I lived in the 3rd one down nearest the little bridge that goes over to the practice field. My late husband was on football scholarship & was both a RB & DB (you played both back then). Back then there were a lot of married scholarship athletes in all sports and we all lived in the "married" dorms among non-athletics.

I think probably the oldest posters on this site are: Matador, mcanerich and me. I will soon be 81 and still love the Canes football. Really looking forward to football season this year. Hope Diaz is as cut-throat as JJ was.

Advertisement
Fan as a kid but we lived too far away and my Dad was a Gator fan.

First game was '98 UCLA in the Orange Bowl, Second was '99 FSU at Doak, was at '00 FSU in the Orange Bowl, along with '01 Washington in the Orange Bowl and '02 UF in the Swamp. So many great memories.

Season ticket holder now.

You obviously had a divided house with your Dad being a Gator. My late husband's family was drastically divided in that he graduated from Miami, and one brother graduated from FSU & the other from UF. Needless to say, football season became a wild event in the family each season.

2000 against BC in the Orange Bowl. Last game of the season. The crowd got multiple personal fouls for throwing oranges on the field. Been hooked ever since.

Advertisement
1995 Orange Bowl Nebraska vs Miami ....... stadium was rocking!!!!!!!! it created a maniac

1998 vs UCLA. Very young and it was one of the few times I spent with my Dad(RIP).

that was my first Orange Bowl game, which was the 'Hurricane Bowl' as it was rescheduled from late September. For a guy from Los Angeles, it truly was a surreal experience to walk into the Grand Ol Lady of South Florida, even after getting destroyed by the Cuse 66-13, the week before.

I was one of the fans that rushed the field after the game, celebrating with the players. I actually took a chunk of the OB grass/sod and put it in my souvenir cup and it's still in my office to this day

My first UM game, was 1990 at Jack Murphy Stadium as Miami played San Diego State and barely escaped with a 2 point victory and the Aztecs missed 3 field goals. But it was incredible seeing the Canes live, those colors just jumped out at me. Later that night, we went to Tijuana and had a memorable time. I remember going to the team hotel and seeing Dennis Erickson and some players, it was unreal for a young kid just seeing them.

throughout the years Ive been to plenty of UM home/bowl games and traveled to see them at Boston College(twice) Pitt(last Big East game in 2003) UCLA(Butch's first game), Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State, NCState, Temple at the Linc, San Diego St(twice), Arizona and Arizona State, Houston, OHio State at the Jersey Meadowlands in 99, Clemson, Tallahassee a few times, and games like last years opener vs LSU at Jerry's World

Last edited:
Advertisement
Several of us here are old guys and lifelong fans. It might be hard for others to understand how it felt to see UM win their first NC after all those years of mediocrity.

Have you been here with us over the last 15 years? I feel so bad for my kid! He’s never seen a dominant Miami team!!!

I can’t even remember. Growing up my dad had season tickets under the overhang in the OB. I remember getting dripped on constantly. My first actual memory is watching Rohan play and telling my dad he’s the best player and will he play for the Dolphins? Nope he’s to small but he is amazing

Yep. The married dorms were located across from campus on the other side of US1.

In the 1950's & early 60's, they were located right on campus on ****erson Drive across from the co-ed dorms & I lived in the one nearest the little bridge that goes over to the practice field and Hecht Center. They were subsequently torn down and there are athletic facilities there now and parking area.

Advertisement
Back