Your first UM game..

Advertisement
First game I can remember watching as a kid was the opener vs FSU game 31-0, in '88 I think. First game I ever attended was the Gator Bowl vs G Tech with Dorsey at QB. First home game in the OB was next year vs. FSU, Wide Right 3. First game as a student was '04 FSU game when Moss caught the screen to send it to OT, and Gore won it in OT after Rix fumbled. Lots of good memories. Miss the OB too.

Advertisement
1979 vs University of Louisville. The 'Canes won and it was a good beginning for the Schnellenberger era. Otis Wilson, later of fame with the 1985 Chicago Bears played for that Louisville team. I later saw the 'Canes play that year against Boston College in a storm-drenched game at the Orange Bowl. Thereafter, my trips included seeing them beat Auburn at the Meadowlands(Giants Stadium), beating Maryland at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, and Penn State at State College. The only losses I ever saw in person were two against Notre Dame in South Bend, and the unfortunate Pinstripe Bowl last month. Go 'Canes!

1378427_648493665171258_868580393_n.jpg

Dad took me when I was 8 years old...had no idea back then the incredible ride this small private school was going to take me on since then

Oh man, I'll never forget it! I didn't know anything about football, and my middle school teacher was also my neighbor and he asked if I wanted to go. It was a season opener 2001, Orange Bowl Miami vs Rutgers. By halftime, it was 27-0 Miami. Dorsey, Davenport, Portis, Gore had his first career touchdown. I didn't know what was going on, everyone was electric the team was so physical. I followed every game that season obviously being champs. Now I am a sick Canes fan like it's really bad, my wife leaves the house when I'm watching games. Need to bring that back!

Advertisement
‘82 or ‘83 Orange Bowl. My dad took me while he was still a student or a very recent grad - and he graduated in 1982.

Day game. Possibly East Carolina. Too young to remember specifics, sadly.

Edit: proud to have been there before the rings. Great times! “No blockee”

Mine was also East Carolina, but 2003. Remember being giddy that night to be in the building I had watched on TV so much. It was majestic.

I’m a broke fan in the panhandle, so I only get to go to the Miami-FSU game when it’s in Tallahassee. So my first game was in Trailerhassee, but kids are about out of daycare and I think it’s getting time to go experience the rock.

08 Ga Tech. Thursday night game in ATL, it was cold as **** and we got spanked. Marve and Jacory splitting reps.

Advertisement
I don't think Jerome Brown was on that '87 NC team so he would not have played against Oklahoma in that '88 OB.

Greg Mark and the late Derwin Jones we're starters at DT.

I don't think Winston Moss was there either. Graduated after '86. Starting LBs in the '88 OB were Randy Shannon, Rod Carter and Tiger Clark. Tiger replaced George Mira, Jr. who was suspended for failing a drug test. Remember the controversy when JJ kicked George Jr. off the sideline during pre-game?

They moved George inside to DT because ******* Dan Sileo had run out of eligibility. He was going to play anyway that season and we would have forfeited the entire season.

EDIT: I was correct, Jerome Brown and Winston Moss we're gone by the '87 NC season ('88 OB game).

Starting DL: Bill Hawkins, Danny Stubbs (DE's); Derwin Jones, Greg Mark (DTs). Severely undersized vs. Oklahoma.

Wasn’t Maryland playing DT on that team? I could be wrong or Maybe he wasn’t the starter.

Advertisement
Now that we've spent that last few weeks cringing about what will be in the present, take a moment to reminisce about the past -- something we as Canes fans have grown quite fond of doing over the last decade and a half.

When and where was the first UM game you attended?

I'll kick it off....1983 in the Doak. Shnelly brought his #6 ranked Canes into Tallahassee vs an unranked FSU squad. Noles nearly pulled off the upset, but in the final 2 minutes. Kosar marched the offense straight down the field in my direction. Davis kicked the game winner in the final seconds and the ball nearly landed in my lap as time expired. Final score 17-16 good guys.

Our boys would go on to beat Nebraska in the Orange Bowl that season for our first Natty. I was hooked.

Good thread, sniper. I keep coming back to it and more great stories appear.

Several of us here are old guys and lifelong fans. It might be hard for others to understand how it felt to see UM win their first NC after all those years of mediocrity.

Amen. I was on second marriage and spending my third million but it was the greatest feeling ever. We lived in Bal Harbour and a bunch of cornhusker fan were staying at the hotel across Collins. I drank with them for four nights before the game and took small fortune from them. Nice people with large wallets. Got plastered after the game with them. They were masters of the universe and had no idea what had just been unleashed. They did agree it was the greatest game ever.

1971 vs Fla State. I think Charlie Tate was the coach. To a young fan, the Friday night games were a blast even though we sucked. After the lean years, the experience of watching this program develop into a dynasty from 78-83 will never be equalled for excitement and heart attack inducing thrills. January 4th 1984 was the single most exciting event I've ever attended and could never possibly be equaled.

Zum Zum hot dogs were the ****. Parking: "5 dollah, easy out"

Miami vs FSU in '88 at the OB. We were the defending National Champs but FSU was ranked #1 in the preseason and had the legendary Deion Sanders at CB and Sammie Smith at RB (among many others). FSU released the infamous "Seminole Rap" prior to the game. The Canes felt disrespected. We absolutely smoked their a@@es 31-0 that day in the OB. JJ was the Head Coach. Steve Walsh was the QB. It was one of the most impressive athletic performances I've ever seen from the beginning to the end.

While UM won far more MNCs between 1983-2001, those FSU teams were extremely stout. However, I always felt UM had the mental edge over FSU (when both teams were at full strength). We knew we were going to win & they did too.

All of us that have watched the Canes since the early 80s have been treated to some indelible memories, including many of the greatest moments in CFB history (Miami vs ND games, Wide Rights & Wide Left against FSU, MNC games against Nebraska, Oklahoma games against Bosworth & Co and the list goes on & on). It has been an incredible ride. We went 58-0 at home over the course of a decade (with home losses totally inconceivable between 1985-1994). That is true greatness. The Canes were the most dominant team in any sport for well over a decade.

The Miami-FSU rivalry has featured some of the hardest hitting & most fiercely contested games ever played. If you missed them, go back and watch the Wide Right & Wide Left games. The hitting was fierce and there was NFL talent all over the field. The games were hard fought, compelling and virtually always came down to the last play. Absolutely amazing games (especially at the OB with the old girl rocking).

Here's to hoping Manny & Co. will bring us back to that level as it was amazing.

Advertisement
Back