Your Coaching Wishlist for 2015

So, this implies that the UM administration has a head-start on a coaching search, if needed.

That makes me feel a bit better ... We won't be in scramble mode.

Who exactly is up near the top of that list?

I'm not allowed to say exactly without getting myself in trouble. However, a lot of the primary names being discussed were on the short list, Butch included.

@DiegoCane One of those was getting heavy attention.

Can you give your opinion on the group as a whole? Would you say they would be looking for a proven winner or more of a up and coming guy?

It was more up and coming coordinators than it was established guys, but the established guys that were being considered were strong choices.

It's the same list that was compiled when it appeared that Golden to Penn State was a done deal. So I guess it's fortunate that this head start was given.

Advertisement
Was the list compiled a list of "who's out there that should be considered", or "who's out there that we could get, and would be interested in coming"?

So, this implies that the UM administration has a head-start on a coaching search, if needed.

I'm not allowed to say exactly without getting myself in trouble. However, a lot of the primary names being discussed were on the short list, Butch included.

@DiegoCane One of those was getting heavy attention.

Can you give your opinion on the group as a whole? Would you say they would be looking for a proven winner or more of a up and coming guy?

It was more up and coming coordinators than it was established guys, but the established guys that were being considered were strong choices.

It's the same list that was compiled when it appeared that Golden to Penn State was a done deal. So I guess it's fortunate that this head start was given.

As far as getting an "established guy," that's tough. Miami will have trouble plucking the Urban Meyer's of the world. Once the big name at a smaller school is established it's a bidding war. Stealing a guy like Briles, Sumlin, or Malzahn before they made it big would have been nice, but that requires balls and foresight. We have to buy that stock before anyone else wants to. Our progrum has been a giant puzzy with their hires.

If we want a guy that's been a head coach before, we could make calls to Gary Patterson, Mark Stoops, or Greg Schiano. We can also roll the dice and try hitting on the next big thing by hiring Mark Hudspeth.

If not them, we have to find the coordinator that's primed to become a star before anyone else does. We need a hard *** with a southern accent, innovative schemes, a solid X and O's background, and a youthful energy that wins to win at all costs and be a piece of **** while doing it.

Frost, Montgomery, Pruitt, Smart - they have to forego taking lumps at a smaller school as the head coach and come to Miami and get it done.

There are plenty of talented football coaches that would LOVE to have control of this roster in 2015 and have access to the kind of players within an hour of this campus. I'll give Golden credit, he's going to be leaving some nice pieces for the next guy.

Honestly, unless our admin is confident that we're finding a guy like Harbaugh, Malzahn, Sumlin etc. (an elite coach with an aggressive mentality that can get results right away) I hope that we hire Butch Davis over anybody else. I don't know that Butch would win a title here. But we've fallen so far that right now, I think we need a guy who can 100% build up a very solid base and get big wins here. We could end up on a USC like path where we suck for over 20 years if the next guy isn't right.

But whille I don't know that he'd win a title, what I do know is that Butch wouldn't have trouble implementing his system--I'm not talking scheme, but the entire way the program is run. He's extremely experienced and there wouldn't be any learning curve for him like there is for a first time HC. He's done it at UM, at UNC, and in the pros. Second, he could easily assemble an elite coaching staff. Third, many times coaches are actually better at their second go around. Saban is a much better coach now than he was at LSU. Pete Carroll was is much better now in the NFL than he was his first go around. And while I've heard horror stories of Butch's game day coaching at UM (too young to understand the game while Butch was here), his teams at UNC were always well-prepared and fundamentally sound. Last, and most importantly, he has instant credibility with the players, recruits, alumni, fans, and even administration. He wouldn't be some guy coming from Temple--he'd be a former NFL HC who recruited hall of famers and won big games. So like I said, I'm not sure 62 year old Butch Davis has the energy or drive to win a title, but I have no doubt that by the time he was done here, UM would be winning big games, be stocked with talent, and be nationally relevant again. We desperately need that.

Butch would be the dream hire. Ideally, he would return and this whole story could come full circle and end with him winning a title as a Hurricane.

Despite Caps4Life writing novel after novel trying to convince himself Golden would never happen, both my cousin Vinny and this other jamoke who claims inside knowledge have stated Butch was not off the table in any regard when it seemed Golden was going to Penn State. It would be a triumphant return and he could possibly go down as the savior of Miami football.

Advertisement
Was the list compiled a list of "who's out there that should be considered", or "who's out there that we could get, and would be interested in coming"?

The first one and the list was being trimmed into the second option when Golden came back.

Butch would be the dream hire. Ideally, he would return and this whole story could come full circle and end with him winning a title as a Hurricane.

Despite Caps4Life writing novel after novel trying to convince himself Golden would never happen, both my cousin Vinny and this other jamoke who claims inside knowledge have stated Butch was not off the table in any regard when it seemed Golden was going to Penn State. It would be a triumphant return and he could possibly go down as the savior of Miami football.

****, Butch was campaigning for the job. I'm really intrigued by guys like Jeremy Pruitt (provided Georgia has a really good season on D) and some others, but when I went back and really thought about it, the thought of UM taking another risk makes me pretty scared and while Butch may not be Nick Saban, you know what you're getting with him.

Advertisement
Back