Young cane fan here with a question

rexman182

Recruit
I wasn't aware of all the X's and O's back in the mid 2000's when Mario was coaching the O- line and tight ends with Miami. Can someone give me some insight on how he did? Obviously with Greg Olsen and Jimmy Graham he was a great recruiter which we already know!

Thanks!

Advertisement
Hehe young pup, you showed that. Mario isn't really known as an X's and O's guy, but that's okay. Butch would have won the natty if he stayed for 01' and Butch never known as an X and O guy. And I say young pup because Olsen was a transfer to Miami, I believe from Notre Dame and Jimmy Graham only played one year of Football, he was a basketball guy. My only memory of Graham the UM Football player is a dropped pass against VT but you knew he had the potential and was built for the TE position.

Hehe young pup, you showed that. Mario isn't really known as an X's and O's guy, but that's okay. Butch would have won the natty if he stayed for 01' and Butch never known as an X and O guy. And I say young pup because Olsen was a transfer to Miami, I believe from Notre Dame and Jimmy Graham only played one year of Football, he was a basketball guy. My only memory of Graham the UM Football player is a dropped pass against VT but you knew he had the potential and was built for the TE position.
That's your only memory? He had 8 TDs that year including first TD vs Oklahoma. Very telling that's what you hold on to.

I wasn't aware of all the X's and O's back in the mid 2000's when Mario was coaching the O- line and tight ends with Miami. Can someone give me some insight on how he did? Obviously with Greg Olsen and Jimmy Graham he was a great recruiter which we already know!

Thanks!
He didn't recruit Olsen or Graham, but at the time he was thought of as one of the better recruiters on the staff, along with Randy. Olsen signed with Notre Dame and transferred here. Mario was on Schiano's staff at Rutgers at that time, then Coker hired him when Chudzinski took an NFL job. Mario coached Olsen in '04 and '05, and then moved to OL coach when Kehoe was fired by Coker. A year later Mario left to coach FIU when Coker was fired.

Jimmy Graham was a basketball player who ran out of eligibility for basketball. Joe Pannunzio on Randy's staff, convinced him to play football since he was allowed to play 1 year of football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree Butch wasn't a good "game day" coach, but as far as being and x's and o's kind of guy, he was the DC for the Super Bowl Cowboys. Mario on the other hand has never been a coordinator.

Advertisement
Back