Yearby Sighting

I'm pretty sure $45K is more than $3K (or so), which is what his stipend would be at a high school
If Miami can’t point players in the direction of jobs that pay $45k without a degree than it needs to shut down. (Clearly, he must be doing something else as the math of $3k could never feed/clothe/househim unless he’s currently homeless and panhandling)

Are there really a lot of jobs that pay over 45k with no degree or trade skill?
There’s a lot in sales; there are more in other industries but those jobs also have high risk/danger involved. We have to get players, or citizens - for that matter, out of the idea of looking for jobs; they’re going to have to be the next generation that creates jobs. Entrepreneurial endeavors should be encouraged more.

That said, even an entrepreneur has to study. Learn their business/competition/industry. And...keep learning; the world of business doesn’t sleep or stay stagnant. To be an effective coach, those rules still apply.

Yearby made his choice; he’s a grown man; he has to live with it. I don’t feel sorry for him; I wish him the best. That’s why I think he’s worth more than $45k in the CFL.

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure $45K is more than $3K (or so), which is what his stipend would be at a high school
If Miami can’t point players in the direction of jobs that pay $45k without a degree than it needs to shut down. (Clearly, he must be doing something else as the math of $3k could never feed/clothe/househim unless he’s currently homeless and panhandling)

I'm saying, if he wants to continue to play football, it's best to play in the CFL and get paid something, rather than coach HS.
Yes, agreed; especially when his reason for leaving was ostensibly money.

Long term, if he’s going to pursue a career in coaching then he’s going to need that degree. Which I think he should do everything he can to complete, by the way. Plus, colleges will always want coaches with a connection to South Florida high schools.

The CFL rookie minimum is 50k. But the average salary is around 80k. He'd being doing just fine for himself if that's the route he chose. 50 will get you by.

This is accurate. The salaries are public. 50-80k entry level without a college degree isn't bad. Plus it has been a stepping stone to the NFL in the past.

You arent valuing tax free room and board. After he pays taxes, rent, food, car, other expenses, he aint gone save much and he sure wont be having the fun he'd have as a member of the team.

He made his choice, what's done is done. What matters most is what he does from here forward. Yearby was a great player down here from optimist league on up, and he can be a very positive figure in this community. Perhaps he embraces a coaching career and finds himself at the collegiate level some day. He could make a **** good living doing that. If not, do what you have to but take advantage of the support UM still offers and get your degree. Just keep moving forward.

Crazy how Dalvin Cook's and Yearby's careers have diverged since Central.

We could have used him this year - but it is what it is right.

Hope it all works out for him.

Advertisement
Dude could be playing football right now making more on his stipend but left early. Shake my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't Miami allow players to come back and finish their degrees after their eligibility ends?(BTW, if true, I that's great)

But again, if there is this option, would Joe even want to do this?

Doesn't Miami allow players to come back and finish their degrees after their eligibility ends?(BTW, if true, I that's great)

I believe that we do. I don't see why Yearby wouldn't do that considering his current job situation. If he wants to stay in coaching, a degree would be helpful.

I believe that we do. I don't see why Yearby wouldn't do that considering his current job situation. If he wants to stay in coaching, a degree would be helpful.

And I believe Richt has started a program to help players get jobs after their players days, or some sort of networking system to that effect

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back