Yearby Looking to Lead this Year

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2014 Miami Central (Fla.) running back Joe Yearby has been helping the rushing attack for the Rockets for three years now and is looking to finish his final year on top.

The Rockets were ranked the #1 team in the nation by Rivals in its latest top 100 high school football rankings and Yearby is excited to prove that ranking.

“I’m looking forward to all the games because you gotta take it one game at a time to add motivation towards the next game.”

The 5’9, 180 pound running back won’t be looking to put up ridiculous numbers next year for his team, but rather help them when they look for him to make a play.

“My goal is to be a team player and just help my team out when ever they need me to help them out.”

There are multiple leaders on the team and the shifty running back and has done his part by keeping every one in line.

“Making sure everybody is in the weight room on time, to practice on time, doing what they have to do and staying out of trouble and keeping everybody focused.”

The speedy ball carrier has been committed to Miami for a while now and still has other schools trying to get him to switch pledges, however he reassures he is firmly committed.

“I’m very solid to UM.”

Yearby is in constant contact with UM and speaks mostly to offensive coordinator James Coley and tends to joke with him.

“I talk to Coach Coley every two days or three days or maybe a week. We crack jokes with each other saying we’re gonna win this championship when I get to Miami and that I’m gonna be his guy.”

Miami fans are excited of the idea of pairing Yearby up with current Hurricanes star Duke Johnson. The Miami Central product really likes the idea of a one-two punch of him and Johnson.

“Me and Duke Johnson could do some things together, sometime I could even go at receiver and he play running back then he could play receiver and I play running back, so we could switch it up.”

Yearby isn’t going to be the only Central star set to be suiting up in the orange and green next year as current offensive tackle Trevor Darling is planning to join him.

“It’s very good to know, Trevor is a very good guy. He opens holes I’ve never seen before. The holes are so big that I can run through them, and him doing that at UM we are going to be very good together.”

While Yearby is excited to have Darling join him in Coral Gables, he is still trying to sway one more Central player over to Miami: running back Dalvin Cook.

“I just tell him, ‘It’s a ‘Cane Thing’ (laughs), just be a ‘Cane baby.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I love Yearby's running style. He is very shifty and makes a defender work to get at him. If they can get Cook also that would be something special. Duke, Yearby and Cook would be the most dangerous backfield in college football. The offense would be ridiculous with the receivers we already have. I think in the end Cook will be a Cane. I just can't see him see all of his boys committing and him leaving Miami to go to Gainesville. But stranger things have happened. I just hope he makes the correct choice and not regret it after getting up to Gainesville.

im glad he takes all the cook questions in stride i wish people would just stop asking him HES A BEAST in his own right

Advertisement
All I'm going to say is, our fanbase is comprised of a bunch of ***gots if we let this thread get longer than the Cook thread.

This kid is a god **** beast and we're so lucky to have him solidly committed at this point. This guy is going to make a lot of defenders look stupid while he's here, and he's going to score a lot of touchdowns.

This dude is a hometown guy and a team guy. Did anyone else see that interview of him in the Herald today where, when asked what his personal goals were this season, he responded, "To be humble and to keep being a team player. If you're team needs you to go at center or O-line, just go and play the position and help them out." This dude has zero diva in him, and it's a cot **** shame he has to play second fiddle to Cook in every interview he does. This guy is a certified badass in the backfield, and he's got exactly the attitude Golden is looking for in this program.

So here's to Joey Yearby. I'm driving the god **** bandwagon, and you Cook-obsessed sons of ******* better get on soon.

127.gif

All I'm going to say is, our fanbase is comprised of a bunch of ***gots if we let this thread get longer than the Cook thread.

This kid is a god **** beast and we're so lucky to have him solidly committed at this point. This guy is going to make a lot of defenders look stupid while he's here, and he's going to score a lot of touchdowns.

This dude is a hometown guy and a team guy. Did anyone else see that interview of him in the Herald today where, when asked what his personal goals were this season, he responded, "To be humble and to keep being a team player. If you're team needs you to go at center or O-line, just go and play the position and help them out." This dude has zero diva in him, and it's a cot **** shame he has to play second fiddle to Cook in every interview he does. This guy is a certified badass in the backfield, and he's got exactly the attitude Golden is looking for in this program.

So here's to Joey Yearby. I'm driving the god **** bandwagon, and you Cook-obsessed sons of ****es better get on soon.

So here's to Joey Yearby. I'm driving the god **** bandwagon, and you Cook-obsessed sons of ****es better get on soon.

In what way did I play him "Second fiddle" compared to Cook?

Advertisement

I never said you did. But half of every interview this poor kid does consists of him answering questions about what he's doing to get his higher-rated teammate to Miami, and it's probably tiring and a little bit iritating for him.

I never said you did. But half of every interview this poor kid does consists of him answering questions about what he's doing to get his higher-rated teammate to Miami, and it's probably tiring and a little bit iritating for him.

Well, I understand your point, but that applies almost to every kid who has a top rated teammate. It's a question that's going to come up one way or another and simply ignoring the fact that there is a possibility of him luring his highly ranked teammate to Miami and not asking him about it isn't good because it's what people want to hear.

Well, I understand your point, but that applies almost to every kid who has a top rated teammate. It's a question that's going to come up one way or another and simply ignoring the fact that there is a possibility of him luring his highly ranked teammate to Miami and not asking him about it isn't good because it's what people want to hear.

Cook has to deal with basically the same thing except UF knows they cant get Yearby. On the other haND UM knows they can get Cook so in that sense I bet Yearby to some extent is fine with the Cook talk because he knows he can bring an elite athlete to his school and maybe help lead it to a National Championship in the future

Shout out to that boy Yearby, looking forward to see how he does this year. This has been an amazing era of running backs in south florida, enjoy it while you can. It is not always plentiful like this.

Advertisement
Still....the thought of Duke, Yearby, and Cook all in the same backfield....makes me wanna choke out a hot, thick, sticky pound of dripping man-goo all over a Gator's face.....hypothetically speaking, of course. :cool:

Yearby are real CANE... Not a SFL diva and is all about hard work and a team player. Give me 10 other kids like him and UM is playing for ACC titles and competing for NC every year..

Yearby are real CANE... Not a SFL diva and is all about hard work and a team player. Give me 10 other kids like him and UM is playing for ACC titles and competing for NC every year..

I honestly believe we have 10 other guys in this class like him. Just a lot of mature players who are focused. Love it.

Advertisement
People are enamored with Cook because he's bigger and faster than Yearby. Cook is more McGahee while Yearby is more Gore. Both are going to be great backs in college.

Yearby rushed for 2000 yards in Dade County as a sophomore so he's no slouch.

People are enamored with Cook because he's bigger and faster than Yearby. Cook is more McGahee while Yearby is more Gore. Both are going to be great backs in college.

Yearby rushed for 2000 yards in Dade County as a sophomore so he's no slouch.

shhhh hey u know the rules around here Watever prospect who is not committed to UM is better than what we have... Yearby is a 5 star recruit our fanbase forgets that because they drool over kids who aren't canes...

Advertisement
Back