Year 3 (Miami 2024 vs Miami 2013)

Wow, the lack of depth is what really stands out when comparing the 2013 team to the current roster. Our front line guys were good(Duke,Hurns), but you were really walking a very thin line when it came to injuries, etc.
It also shows what a difference NIL and the transfer portal have played. You’d have to think that had they existed in 2013 and 2009 that Golden and Shannon would have used them to fill in some gaping holes.

Advertisement
I'll be honest I thought Tyriq Mccord was gonna be all world.
We as Miami Hurricane fans are notorious at crowning guys who we “think” are gonna be great. Idk why we always say we are more “talented” than any other team we play. I’m not drinking the Kool Aid. Talent is not losing to Rutgers. No excuses about players being out. If we are truly that talented we should have been able To trot 2nd and 3rd team to win that game. We just haven’t been that good overall. 7-5 average program and I’m sick of fans thinking we are world beaters. We’re just not that good. That’s ok we can call it like it is. Mario is clearly stacking the roster but let’s see them develop. Until then I’m not drinking the Kool Aid… not throwing shade at you!! I’m piggy backing off what you said because it reminds me of all the high hopes I’ve had just to realize the players are just average. Lol

skewed by the scheme though. Odd front so DE's were essentially playing tackle. chick, pierre and Kamalu all played inside.
That scheme was horrible for the personnel we had! One of Goldens stubborn traits. He also screwed Chick up and made him fat. We had offense during those years just had D-No and Swamp butt who couldn’t build a defense.

Advertisement
I’m going to add further to this:

2013-14 Miami Hurricanes
Record: 9-4
Leading Passer: Stephen Morris (3,028 yrds 21 TDs 12 ints)
Leading Rusher: Duke Johnson (920 yrds {6.3 ypc} 6 TDs)
Leading Receiver: Allen Hurns (1,162 yrds {18.7 ypr} 6 TDs)
Leading Tackler: Denzel Perryman (108 Tkls - 1 FF)
Leading Interceptions: Tracy Howard (4)
Leading Sacks: Tyriq McCord (4)
Record vs. Top 25: 1-2
Record vs. Teams That Finished w/ Winning Record: 3-3
Record vs. ACC: 5-3
Combined Record of opponents: 84-81
Total Offense Rank: 48th
Total Defense Rank: 89th

With the above mentioned roster data + the 2013 season data, I’ll stand by what I said: Zero excuses not to win 10+ games this yr.

We’ll field a better QB, better OL, better Def, better WR Room, & we’ll face 3 New HC (FAMU, Duke, Syracuse).

Zero excuses.

We as Miami Hurricane fans are notorious at crowning guys who we “think” are gonna be great. Idk why we always say we are more “talented” than any other team we play. I’m not drinking the Kool Aid. Talent is not losing to Rutgers. No excuses about players being out. If we are truly that talented we should have been able To trot 2nd and 3rd team to win that game. We just haven’t been that good overall. 7-5 average program and I’m sick of fans thinking we are world beaters. We’re just not that good. That’s ok we can call it like it is. Mario is clearly stacking the roster but let’s see them develop. Until then I’m not drinking the Kool Aid… not throwing shade at you!! I’m piggy backing off what you said because it reminds me of all the high hopes I’ve had just to realize the players are just average. Lol
All good bro I feel your pain. I remember being at the UF game when he had that monster sack which was what triggered the thought. Speaking of that game, Tracy Howard pick was electric too. Probably my second favorite game ive ever been too behind the Notre Dame game. Would love nothing more than to go 2/2 this year against FSU and UF.

I’m going to add further to this:

2013-14 Miami Hurricanes
Record: 9-4
Leading Passer: Stephen Morris (3,028 yrds 21 TDs 12 ints)
Leading Rusher: Duke Johnson (920 yrds {6.3 ypc} 6 TDs)
Leading Receiver: Allen Hurns (1,162 yrds {18.7 ypr} 6 TDs)
Leading Tackler: Denzel Perryman (108 Tkls - 1 FF)
Leading Interceptions: Tracy Howard (4)
Leading Sacks: Tyriq McCord (4)
Record vs. Top 25: 1-2
Record vs. Teams That Finished w/ Winning Record: 3-3
Record vs. ACC: 5-3
Combined Record of opponents: 84-81
Total Offense Rank: 48th
Total Defense Rank: 89th

With the above mentioned roster data + the 2013 season data, I’ll stand by what I said: Zero excuses not to win 10+ games this yr.

We’ll field a better QB, better OL, better Def, better WR Room, & we’ll face 3 New HC (FAMU, Duke, Syracuse).

Slight devils advocate post here - I agree we'll field a better QB in 2024 though Morris was no slouch that year. 2013 OL had some major beef with Henderson, Flowers, Linder, Feliciano et al. Lot of NFL guys on that line so right now that's a push for me, though I think our line may end up even better. I don't think we have a WR like Coley (or Dorsett even) on our current team yet, and as low ranked as he was Hurns put up major numbers. DP was our best LB in forever and we haven't had one like him since, maybe Kiko is that guy this year. DB is 2013 by a long shot. DL is 2024 by a long shot imo. We don't have a Duke Johnson yet for 2024.

And yet with NFL talent all over - difference makers, if you will - that team went 9-4. Now you can argue depth and coaching and I agree, but to look at that 2013 team and say we're there or better, or to look at both rosters and say 2024 is 10 wins or bust right now is tough for me.

Advertisement
Ironically, 2013 was the last time Miami had a good offensive line. Until now at least. That roster is very indicative of what our teams were like under Golden. Some really talented guys and a bunch of guys who shouldn’t have been at Miami. That defensive line was doo-doo. Still, if Golden had Dawson and Guidry as his coordinators, that team likely wins at least 2 more games.

Advertisement
Always year 3 when the coaches lose the fan base. Praying Mario has success.

Advertisement
Slight devils advocate post here - I agree we'll field a better QB in 2024 though Morris was no slouch that year. 2013 OL had some major beef with Henderson, Flowers, Linder, Feliciano et al. Lot of NFL guys on that line so right now that's a push for me, though I think our line may end up even better. I don't think we have a WR like Coley (or Dorsett even) on our current team yet, and as low ranked as he was Hurns put up major numbers. DP was our best LB in forever and we haven't had one like him since, maybe Kiko is that guy this year. DB is 2013 by a long shot. DL is 2024 by a long shot imo. We don't have a Duke Johnson yet for 2024.

And yet with NFL talent all over - difference makers, if you will - that team went 9-4. Now you can argue depth and coaching and I agree, but to look at that 2013 team and say we're there or better, or to look at both rosters and say 2024 is 10 wins or bust right now is tough for me.

I agree w/ u on the OL, it was quite talented; however, let’s be honest: This roster was completely misused by Golden. Our defense is light yrs better, as a collective unit under Guidry than No’D. Morris was no slouch, think he’s under appreciated as far as QB history, but this season he was still as about 58% completion; Cam does this in his sleep on a bad day. Cam is way more accurate than Stephen could imagine.

Allen Hurns is legit one of my all time favorite Canes, & so is X. X is not on Hurns level as far as a deep threat, but what he does is run great routes, & is dependable af. George on that 2013 team would be by far our 2nd leading receiver based upon his 2023 stats. Now, we’re allegedly infusing that room w/ even more talent.

This is year 3, champ. There’s is literally zero excuses for the 2024 Miami Hurricanes not to win 10+ games. The fan base blamed TVD, he’s now gone. The fan base blamed the remainder of Diaz’s players, they’re all gone w/ the exception of a small amount of stragglers: X, George, JHH, Nelson, C Smith, Redding. This roster is compromised of better players, & led by better coaching (allegedly). Therefore, w/ our current schedule + roster makeup, 10+ is the benchmark. If Brohm can come in yr 1 at UL and take them to 10 wins & an ACCCG spot, then a team that’s now 3 yrs in should do the same.

kiko is not nearly the same level of athletes as DP.

I agree w/ u on the OL, it was quite talented; however, let’s be honest: This roster was completely misused by Golden. Our defense is light yrs better, as a collective unit under Guidry than No’D. Morris was no slouch, think he’s under appreciated as far as QB history, but this season he was still as about 58% completion; Cam does this in his sleep on a bad day. Cam is way more accurate than Stephen could imagine.

Allen Hurns is legit one of my all time favorite Canes, & so is X. X is not on Hurns level as far as a deep threat, but what he does is run great routes, & is dependable af. George on that 2013 team would be by far our 2nd leading receiver based upon his 2023 stats. Now, we’re allegedly infusing that room w/ even more talent.

This is year 3, champ. There’s is literally zero excuses for the 2024 Miami Hurricanes not to win 10+ games. The fan base blamed TVD, he’s now gone. The fan base blamed the remainder of Diaz’s players, they’re all gone w/ the exception of a small amount of stragglers: X, George, JHH, Nelson, C Smith, Redding. This roster is compromised of better players, & led by better coaching (allegedly). Therefore, w/ our current schedule + roster makeup, 10+ is the benchmark. If Brohm can come in yr 1 at UL and take them to 10 wins & an ACCCG spot, then a team that’s now 3 yrs in should do the same.
I agree with you about Hurns and X in terms of production. Also definitely on board with Guidry and No'D being a no-contest.

I'm just tired of banging the 10 wins or bust drum year after year only for it to bust every single time. Talent-wise we are more or less on par with that 9-4 2013 team. We will hopefully be better at QB, definitely at DL. Coaching gets us from 8-5 to 10-3 and while I trust our coordinators more than I did 10 years ago, our HC situation for now is a push at best.

We are a 7-6 team that should have been 8-5. We brought in some key personnel to buy us an extra win or two if we can stay healthy and stay out of or own way. Since neither of those things tend to happen here, my line is 9 wins and I'm not even gonna bother with the word "should" anymore lol.

I agree with you about Hurns and X in terms of production. Also definitely on board with Guidry and No'D being a no-contest.

I'm just tired of banging the 10 wins or bust drum year after year only for it to bust every single time. Talent-wise we are more or less on par with that 9-4 2013 team. We will hopefully be better at QB, definitely at DL. Coaching gets us from 8-5 to 10-3 and while I trust our coordinators more than I did 10 years ago, our HC situation for now is a push at best.

We are a 7-6 team that should have been 8-5. We brought in some key personnel to buy us an extra win or two if we can stay healthy and stay out of or own way. Since neither of those things tend to happen here, my line is 9 wins and I'm not even gonna bother with the word "should" anymore lol.

Oh for sure, I totally am on board w/ u. Here’s my thing:

We have a whole Noles Tears section, & we clown Prison for being a weirdo coach, but he won 10 games in yr 3 coming off a 5-7 squad. For me, I’m tired of double standards. Mario is a top 20 paid coach in CFB. No more pacifying or excuses. Like he says when he’s being interviewed on the sidelines, it’s time to go.

Shannon, & Golden both went 9-4 in yr 3…I’m sorry, that’s not acceptable when both of those guys were bums & w/o the resources afforded to them like Mario. I’m not saying it will happen, but as a fan base w/ all the excuses from the past 2 seasons eliminated, & an easier than thou schedule, this should be our baseline. I totally get where u’re coming from, and I respect ur baseline & why. For me; nah, I can’t. Too much of a Canes’ football purist that know history of not just our squad, but the rivals to accept less than 10 in yr 3.

Advertisement
Back