Yamma Yamma A Miami Legend

Advertisement
It wasn’t Leaks who fumbled the ball in the Texas game. The guy who was running free down the sideline and mysteriously dropped the ball was Joe Aboussie, not Leaks.

Thanks for clarifying - were you there also? As Awsi said, they weren't #1 but were on the cover of SI that year as their pick (which did become the Kod for years to come). I was also at the Gator flop game.

Although our teams were not competitive nationally during my years there, we always had some talented players (e. g. Chuck Foreman and Tim Sullivan in the same backfield).

That was my party that I put together in Atlanta before the first ever ACC GT game at Jocks and Jills on 10th Street. To tell you the type of guy Jim was, he called me a couple weeks before and asked me "if I would mind if he could say a few cheers"...and then afterwards, he handwrote a colorful (orange and green) thank you letter.

They just don't make them like Jim anymore. He truly is a Canes legend....

I was at the '73 game vs UT as well - remember it like it was yesterday (watching from the upper deck of the OB, even though we could have sat almost anywhere we wanted). If I recall correctly, Leaks fumbled running down the sideline on his way to an apparent TD, without being touched?

He was a legend - RIP Jim.

Looks like we are all a bunch of old farts in here because that UT game was my first also when I transferred into Miami from the University of Maine. I was instantly hooked – so much so when I could afford it I became a living scholar and I had the opportunity to mentor several athletes. In the sugar bowl where we destroyed the University of Gatorade And their infamous coach threw his headgear down it was a pleasure to have a time cheering the crowd on with the Yamma Yamma man on Bourbon.
Hooters chicken wings and beer in the east end zone for hurricane club members and rowdy music all came to an end with Donna. The orange bowl was soon to fade but the memories will live on.

Advertisement
What do you mean retire? I remember him leading the yamma yamma cheer with the cheerleaders in 2001.
Maggot (AD) forced out John Routh (Ibis and Miami Maniac). Said we didn't need to spend $100K for professional mascot. Maggard was a short-timer from UCBerkeley who did not understand Miami culture and heritage. He bailed on us after a few years.

Know nothing about him forcing out Flemming who was free of charge,can dedicated volunteer.

I used to warn him to use sunscreen, his face was permenent red from the sun.

I think it was some other kind of cancer that did him in. Sad, lost him way too soon.

Even though he was forced to sit in the stands while I was at the U, you could just tell he was the #1 fan of the Canes at games in the OB. While he passed too soon, he got to see some amazing Canes teams & great games. Hopefully, he's replaying an endless loop of great Canes memories in heaven. RIP Yamma Yamma.

Thanks for clarifying - were you there also? As Awsi said, they weren't #1 but were on the cover of SI that year as their pick (which did become the Kod for years to come). I was also at the Gator flop game.

Although our teams were not competitive nationally during my years there, we always had some talented players (e. g. Chuck Foreman and Tim Sullivan in the same backfield).

I'm glad that was clarified. Years ago I would have known better myself. While reading the OP I was thinking it wasn't Leaks who fumbled but then I went along with it because I certainly didn't remember the names of anyone else in their backfield.

Leaks was a fullback so it makes sense he wasn't on the left sideline, where that drop took place. Such a strange play because it just plopped to the ground with no warning or encouragement. Then it wasn't kicked forward or anything like that. Just a convenient plop.

I was also at the Gator Flop game two years earlier. And don't let anybody try to pretend the Florida sideline didn't direct that action. Their coaches flat out lied. I have told this story many times previously on various Canes boards. That season for whatever reason my dad got season tickets very low on the northwest (closed) side, at about the 15 yard line. It was a different perspective than we ever had before or subsequently. Game to game we really didn't like it. We switched locations the following year and never returned. But it came in incredibly handy for that game.

Gator fans throughout the stadium were incredibly restless as the Canes were ******** around with the ball, despite a huge deficit. Reaves and Alvarez were seniors. Reaves needed just a couple dozen more yards for the all time passing record. But it looked like Florida might never get the ball back. Many Canes fans had departed but those of us remaining knew exactly why the Gator fans were so irritated.

My dad and I were talking about the situation, with the action not far away from us. Miami was running a pathetic version of an option offense, with no hurry or competence. Then a young Florida assistant wearing white shorts frantically ran down the sideline toward where we were sitting. He ran at least 20 yards and stopped basically smack in front of us. I can picture it so clearly. He put both arms straight out, with palms down, and said, "Down...get down." He motioned to the ground twice as he said that. The entire Gator defense was watching him intently.

I already knew what was going to happen. I turned to my dad on my right and said, "They are going to fall down." Dad wouldn't even consider it. He said, "They would never do that. It would be the height of poor sportsmanship."

Then we watched it unfold, almost exactly as I envisioned. Push up position. My dad was stunned speechless. I said to him, "I told you."

It's too bad a full video does not exist of that game. I have seen clips, but none that show the pre snap and that young guy running down the sideline. He might have been a grad assistant or a ball boy. Something like that.

Once Reaves got the record the Gator fans rejoiced like they won the national championship. Wild scene throughout the Orange Bowl stands. Then the Gator players at game's end made a mad dash to the east end zone, jumping into the Flipper tank and some of them shimmying up the flag pole.

Advertisement
Beautiful thread. Much respect. I apologize to you older canes on behalf of us younger dudes who weren't born or super young to actually appreciate the ascension to greatness this institution has made. Hope those types of memories are once again realized soon.

Advertisement
I'm glad that was clarified. Years ago I would have known better myself. While reading the OP I was thinking it wasn't Leaks who fumbled but then I went along with it because I certainly didn't remember the names of anyone else in their backfield.

Leaks was a fullback so it makes sense he wasn't on the left sideline, where that drop took place. Such a strange play because it just plopped to the ground with no warning or encouragement. Then it wasn't kicked forward or anything like that. Just a convenient plop.

I was also at the Gator Flop game two years earlier. And don't let anybody try to pretend the Florida sideline didn't direct that action. Their coaches flat out lied. I have told this story many times previously on various Canes boards. That season for whatever reason my dad got season tickets very low on the northwest (closed) side, at about the 15 yard line. It was a different perspective than we ever had before or subsequently. Game to game we really didn't like it. We switched locations the following year and never returned. But it came in incredibly handy for that game.

Gator fans throughout the stadium were incredibly restless as the Canes were ******** around with the ball, despite a huge deficit. Reaves and Alvarez were seniors. Reaves needed just a couple dozen more yards for the all time passing record. But it looked like Florida might never get the ball back. Many Canes fans had departed but those of us remaining knew exactly why the Gator fans were so irritated.

My dad and I were talking about the situation, with the action not far away from us. Miami was running a pathetic version of an option offense, with no hurry or competence. Then a young Florida assistant wearing white shorts frantically ran down the sideline toward where we were sitting. He ran at least 20 yards and stopped basically smack in front of us. I can picture it so clearly. He put both arms straight out, with palms down, and said, "Down...get down." He motioned to the ground twice as he said that. The entire Gator defense was watching him intently.

I already knew what was going to happen. I turned to my dad on my right and said, "They are going to fall down." Dad wouldn't even consider it. He said, "They would never do that. It would be the height of poor sportsmanship."

Then we watched it unfold, almost exactly as I envisioned. Push up position. My dad was stunned speechless. I said to him, "I told you."

It's too bad a full video does not exist of that game. I have seen clips, but none that show the pre snap and that young guy running down the sideline. He might have been a grad assistant or a ball boy. Something like that.

Once Reaves got the record the Gator fans rejoiced like they won the national championship. Wild scene throughout the Orange Bowl stands. Then the Gator players at game's end made a mad dash to the east end zone, jumping into the Flipper tank and some of them shimmying up the flag pole.

Wow - your memory is a lot better than mine. I certainly remember the play but didn't notice any of the stuff leading up to it or the post- game nonsense. But I did think to myself at the time how it was the biggest bush league move I had ever seen, since they could have simply whiffed on tackles and faked it such that nobody would have ever known for sure. Hard to believe it was almost 50 years ago.

Nice sharing memories with you. Go Canes.

Maggot (AD) forced out John Routh (Ibis and Miami Maniac). Said we didn't need to spend $100K for professional mascot. Maggard was a short-timer from UCBerkeley who did not understand Miami culture and heritage. He bailed on us after a few years.

Know nothing about him forcing out Flemming who was free of charge,can dedicated volunteer.

I used to warn him to use sunscreen, his face was permenent red from the sun.

I think it was some other kind of cancer that did him in. Sad, lost him way too soon.

Heart attack, not cancer.

He was running for state legislature over in the Fort Myers area, where I lived at the time (2006).

Advertisement
Yamma Yamma The Legend Lives On

Today I got the time to reflex back in time and give major props to a LEGEND. A lot of old time Canes will respond to this post simply because the name Yamma Yamma brings back great memories. The dude was Cane football, a diehard fan a great conversation piece, and a great ambassador to our program. (Omit Tad Foote a former University of Miami President that banned Yamma Yamma from doing his patent Skit Skat How Bout That Cheer on the sidelines during football games in the Orange Bowl).

For me it started my first year at the U 1973 to be exact. Yeah, I know I am an old fart. Miami was playing the University of Texas at the Orange Bowl I believe it was the first game of the year. Texas was rank number one in the country. Miami was not given much of a chance to win the game. It was Pete Elliot first coaching game at the U. To the younger board member on this site you all are now wondering who the heck is Yamma Yamma.

Miami back in the day used to play home games on Friday nights. Texas had a star running back name Roosevelt Leaks, a beast; he was Earl Campbell before Earl Campbell. The start of the 4th quarter back in the day there was no holding four finger in the air to signify that we owned the 4th quarter. Miami is holding on to a slim lead, as the 4th quarter is getting underway all of a sudden a giant roar explodes on Miami side of the field. My first experience of the Legend Yamma Yamma. I see a guy with a flower shirt brown khaki pants and yes white leather loafers a strong breeze blowing his hair all over the place. I thought it was one of the Beach Boys getting ready to sing. Yamma Yamma grabs a microphone and yells Skit Skat How Bout That, then takes the microphone and points to the crowd, the place is rocking I mean you would of thought he was a rock star. The noise level just kept elevating to a higher level. I turn to my date and ask who the **** is that? Here exact words to me was that’s Yamma Yamma the number one Cane fan and former Miami Cheerleader, they bring him back every year to do his famous cheers a lot that he just made up on the fly. He's is known as Mr. Hurricane.
Well, I never saw an entrance of a Cheerleader like that. The placed is electrified I mean it was like going to a rock concert.

The Miami players on the sidelines were turning around pointing at Yamma Yamma the players were jumping up and down high-fiving one another. You would have thought Elvis enter the building. I know I am dating myself. I have never ever seen one-person rock the OB as Yamma Yamma did that night. The dude would make coffee percolate.

Miami ended up upsetting number one Texas that night. The football world in South Florida was shocked. When the game was over Yamma Yamma was doing his dance and his Skit Skat How Bout That. The players were coming up to him and high-fiving. The players would later state he was instrumental in getting the fans buying what he was selling. It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane.

Over the years, I have seen him at various tailgate parties, both home and away. When the Dude walks around prior to the game, he would do his thing Skit Skat How Bout That. About 10 years ago in Atlanta there was a pep rally at a sport bar on 10th street I do not remember the name. The place is packed all of a sudden in walks Yamma Yamma, the place goes nuts, Melvin Bratton has the microphone and announces here come Yamma Yamma one of the best diehard fan around. He has his fame football jersey with the name Yamma Yamma on it back. Melvin Bratton ask Yamma Yamma to pump up the crowd in the bar with his patent cheers, the place goes nuts, the dude went on for a good 15 minutes nonstop with cheers and that dance of his. This time I am with another girl and she ask me who is that I replied that what is being a Hurricane is all about family. Yamma Yamma proceeds to the C-A-N-E-S cheer needless to say he knocks overs some chairs and tables. Some things never change.

I know other posters will have some off the wall stories about Yamma Yamma and I will never doubt any of them. The dude was a LEGEND.

One year we were playing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Alabama was having a pep rally before the game in the French Quarters in walks Yamma Yamma he heads to the bar gets up on a chair and belts out Roll Tide Roll. The Bama fan base yells back Roll Tide Roll. Yamma Yamma proceeds to yell out “ In the bowl around the bowl down the hole roll tide roll”. He then gets off the chair and walks out of the bar at a very rapid pace into the French Quarters the Bama did not know what that was all about. Heck, after all the years they are still trying to figure out what just happen that night.

At his funeral in Bonita Springs former players, coaches alumni, friends and admires pack the placed. Jim Flemming aka Yamma Yamma is well known in Bonita Springs. Jim Kelly could not attend the funeral but sent the biggest flower arrangements those in attendance every saw with orange and green with the U in the middle of the flower arrangement. I am only going with what I heard that it cost a couple of thousands of dollars for a man that former players loved and respected. I tried to make it but I was out of town on a business trip. The outpouring of respect from the Cane Community overwhelm his family he is greatly missed. When you bring up his name to former players they, will all smile and state what a great person he was and they would reflect what he meant to them as a former players.

Does anyone know how he came up with the name Yamma Yamma? Knowing Jim it probably was something off the wall that stuck in head and he just ran with it. He would come up with cheers off the top of his head. He even had a cheer about the gators “Alligator Bags, alligator shoes. If you’re a gator your born to lose”. Every time we played the gators he ran with that cheer. He really got under their skin no pun intended. There was a game in the Orange Bowl
where Yamma Yamma gets attack by the Head Coach of Notre Dame Ara Parseghian during a game in the Orange Bowl
In 1965 a game in the Orange Bowl the cheerleaders were on the visitors side. During the start of the game Yamma Yamma for 3 quarters yells in the microphone AAARRA, AAARRA, along with the crowd by the 3rd quarter Ara confronted Yamma and said to him “Listen you little SOB shut up”. Ara was hot and he grabbed Yamma by the throat a little. He was hot. His veins were popping out. Others coaches had to restrain Ara.

Another cheer that got band by the school was “Grind them in the dirt, mash them in the mud, we want blood. The best one yet which was band from the school which was Classic Yamma Yamma, when the ref made a bad call Yamma Yamma would chant Hey, your momma… {fill in the Blank]

I hope I made some of you remember what a great guy Jim was R.I.P.
Yamma Yamma set a bar that we can look at in awh

Yamma Yamma The Legend Lives On

Today I got the time to reflex back in time and give major props to a LEGEND. A lot of old time Canes will respond to this post simply because the name Yamma Yamma brings back great memories. The dude was Cane football, a diehard fan a great conversation piece, and a great ambassador to our program. (Omit Tad Foote a former University of Miami President that banned Yamma Yamma from doing his patent Skit Skat How Bout That Cheer on the sidelines during football games in the Orange Bowl).

For me it started my first year at the U 1973 to be exact. Yeah, I know I am an old fart. Miami was playing the University of Texas at the Orange Bowl I believe it was the first game of the year. Texas was rank number one in the country. Miami was not given much of a chance to win the game. It was Pete Elliot first coaching game at the U. To the younger board member on this site you all are now wondering who the heck is Yamma Yamma.

Miami back in the day used to play home games on Friday nights. Texas had a star running back name Roosevelt Leaks, a beast; he was Earl Campbell before Earl Campbell. The start of the 4th quarter back in the day there was no holding four finger in the air to signify that we owned the 4th quarter. Miami is holding on to a slim lead, as the 4th quarter is getting underway all of a sudden a giant roar explodes on Miami side of the field. My first experience of the Legend Yamma Yamma. I see a guy with a flower shirt brown khaki pants and yes white leather loafers a strong breeze blowing his hair all over the place. I thought it was one of the Beach Boys getting ready to sing. Yamma Yamma grabs a microphone and yells Skit Skat How Bout That, then takes the microphone and points to the crowd, the place is rocking I mean you would of thought he was a rock star. The noise level just kept elevating to a higher level. I turn to my date and ask who the **** is that? Here exact words to me was that’s Yamma Yamma the number one Cane fan and former Miami Cheerleader, they bring him back every year to do his famous cheers a lot that he just made up on the fly. He's is known as Mr. Hurricane.
Well, I never saw an entrance of a Cheerleader like that. The placed is electrified I mean it was like going to a rock concert.

The Miami players on the sidelines were turning around pointing at Yamma Yamma the players were jumping up and down high-fiving one another. You would have thought Elvis enter the building. I know I am dating myself. I have never ever seen one-person rock the OB as Yamma Yamma did that night. The dude would make coffee percolate.

Miami ended up upsetting number one Texas that night. The football world in South Florida was shocked. When the game was over Yamma Yamma was doing his dance and his Skit Skat How Bout That. The players were coming up to him and high-fiving. The players would later state he was instrumental in getting the fans buying what he was selling. It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane.

Over the years, I have seen him at various tailgate parties, both home and away. When the Dude walks around prior to the game, he would do his thing Skit Skat How Bout That. About 10 years ago in Atlanta there was a pep rally at a sport bar on 10th street I do not remember the name. The place is packed all of a sudden in walks Yamma Yamma, the place goes nuts, Melvin Bratton has the microphone and announces here come Yamma Yamma one of the best diehard fan around. He has his fame football jersey with the name Yamma Yamma on it back. Melvin Bratton ask Yamma Yamma to pump up the crowd in the bar with his patent cheers, the place goes nuts, the dude went on for a good 15 minutes nonstop with cheers and that dance of his. This time I am with another girl and she ask me who is that I replied that what is being a Hurricane is all about family. Yamma Yamma proceeds to the C-A-N-E-S cheer needless to say he knocks overs some chairs and tables. Some things never change.

I know other posters will have some off the wall stories about Yamma Yamma and I will never doubt any of them. The dude was a LEGEND.

One year we were playing Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Alabama was having a pep rally before the game in the French Quarters in walks Yamma Yamma he heads to the bar gets up on a chair and belts out Roll Tide Roll. The Bama fan base yells back Roll Tide Roll. Yamma Yamma proceeds to yell out “ In the bowl around the bowl down the hole roll tide roll”. He then gets off the chair and walks out of the bar at a very rapid pace into the French Quarters the Bama did not know what that was all about. Heck, after all the years they are still trying to figure out what just happen that night.

At his funeral in Bonita Springs former players, coaches alumni, friends and admires pack the placed. Jim Flemming aka Yamma Yamma is well known in Bonita Springs. Jim Kelly could not attend the funeral but sent the biggest flower arrangements those in attendance every saw with orange and green with the U in the middle of the flower arrangement. I am only going with what I heard that it cost a couple of thousands of dollars for a man that former players loved and respected. I tried to make it but I was out of town on a business trip. The outpouring of respect from the Cane Community overwhelm his family he is greatly missed. When you bring up his name to former players they, will all smile and state what a great person he was and they would reflect what he meant to them as a former players.

Does anyone know how he came up with the name Yamma Yamma? Knowing Jim it probably was something off the wall that stuck in head and he just ran with it. He would come up with cheers off the top of his head. He even had a cheer about the gators “Alligator Bags, alligator shoes. If you’re a gator your born to lose”. Every time we played the gators he ran with that cheer. He really got under their skin no pun intended. There was a game in the Orange Bowl
where Yamma Yamma gets attack by the Head Coach of Notre Dame Ara Parseghian during a game in the Orange Bowl
In 1965 a game in the Orange Bowl the cheerleaders were on the visitors side. During the start of the game Yamma Yamma for 3 quarters yells in the microphone AAARRA, AAARRA, along with the crowd by the 3rd quarter Ara confronted Yamma and said to him “Listen you little SOB shut up”. Ara was hot and he grabbed Yamma by the throat a little. He was hot. His veins were popping out. Others coaches had to restrain Ara.

Another cheer that got band by the school was “Grind them in the dirt, mash them in the mud, we want blood. The best one yet which was band from the school which was Classic Yamma Yamma, when the ref made a bad call Yamma Yamma would chant Hey, your momma… {fill in the Blank]

I hope I made some of you remember what a great guy Jim was R.I.P.
Break out the green and white Yama Yama. Back in the day way before relevance he always got the crowd going. Thanks for the memory.

Advertisement
Back