Ya'lls opinion on a head coach hiring a close friend

asad91

Freshman
I think its a bad idea because if it doesn't work out it creates a very tense and awkward situation. I don't think it Golden will ever fire D'onofrio because they are such close friends and I think that is a problem because if he is not living up to his paycheck he should go. I think we should still give him more time and see how they progress because the team is very young but I just don't think its a good idea for a coach to hire someone who he is close to. Just like you shouldn't do business with family it just creates trouble.

Advertisement
I think Golden would fire Coach D and if he cant, then he should be fired. I think he knew from the very get go the position he was putting himself into with the hire. However, I think Golden also recognizes that this will take time. He wants Coach D to scheme around the players instead of just pushing things they cant do down their throat. Hopefully that change will happen very shortly.

Golden was a DC at UVA....I gotta imagine he is involved in the defensive gameplan...which is concerning. If he's not, then he needs to get involved ASAP. I doubt he would fire or demote D'Onfrio. Really what I would expect is for him to informally take over the defense.

I think its a bad idea because if it doesn't work out it creates a very tense and awkward situation. I don't think it Golden will ever fire D'onofrio because they are such close friends and I think that is a problem because if he is not living up to his paycheck he should go. I think we should still give him more time and see how they progress because the team is very young but I just don't think its a good idea for a coach to hire someone who he is close to. Just like you shouldn't do business with family it just creates trouble.

I think it is a very bad idea, especially looking at the situation we are in right now. I also think in business in general it is not wise to hire close friends and, in some cases family members because of personal judgment clouding the mind of the reality that is right in front of you.

Advertisement
Dam Im starting to remember all of nights posts about how Golden couldnt beat a mac team with a winning record...dammit mane....Im so scared

I don't want to be overreacting after today's game but that was just a horrible display of defense. Not only that it just didn't seem like they were playing with any passion or agression like the old canes used to. Don't want to question Golden as a coach but maybe his run at temple was a little overblown about how he turned them around but he has a done a good job at recruiting so far. D'onofrio on the other hand I just can't stand.

I agree Ive never been a big fan of hiring your buddy as a coordinator. This is a tough business, and tough choices have to be made.

Supposedly Bill Miller and Butch were pretty good buddies, but Butch knew he had to make a change back in 98 and canned him.

I think the first thing Golden needs to do is can Franklin and Kehoe. We need a top flight DL coach, and a new OL coach. It all starts up front. We havent had any impressive DL coaching since Palermo was here.

D'Onofrio has a legitimate résumé.

This is not an example of blind cronyism, or Bobbah hiring his son.

Golden and D'Onofrio are in lockstep. No way Golden didn't sign off on this defense.

Advertisement
This is absurd. Many of these coaches are good friends. Some hire their brothers and do just fine. Sh*t Kiffin hired his father. Golden will fire anyone who he thinks is not getting the job done. He's as professional as they come. Coach D comes with a good pedigree and was considered a solid hire here. Many were concerned we would not get him and Temple would snag him as their HC.

So your saying that Golden wouldn't hesitate to fire Coach D if it came to that? I think he definitely would because they are good friends and that what i have a problem with. You shouldn't let your personal feelings influence the decisions he will have to make. He may come with a good pedigree but it was at the mac conference. I never said it was a bad hire but was just questioning hiring someone you are close to. Not saying Coach D can't be good as he should have more time because the team is young but haven't been impressed so far

Onofrio is not getting the job done. UM defense in is the lower end of the NCAA. Totally not acceptable. Either the talent isn't there to execute the defense, or the players just aren't smart enough to carry out the defensive game plan. DL dancing with the OL for the second game in a row, and DB's hugging instead of tackling. Luckily we have Johnson and Perryman at LB who are trying to uphold their end of the deal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As long as you have the balls to fire him if he can't do his job right I have no problem with it.

Advertisement
Back