Xs and Os- Major Applewhite

Let’s try and have a civilized discussion as to what we will see. I remember watching Houston with Ward at QB and being very impressed with that system but really don’t remember details.

What type of run/pass % can we expect?

Does he use tempo? If so is it 80 plays a game type tempo?

What type of formations does he use?

How often does he call deep shots?

Advertisement
I watched the 1st half of the 2015 peach bowl and here are my takeways so far

Solid gameplan by Applewhite
Houston likes to get lined up quickly, making the defense think quick on how to line up and identify keys
Lots of check with me to get the best play call
Moderate use of motion, mainly in the running game
Lots of quick passing
(slants, bubble screens, a few drags), No real down field passing, likely playing to Greg Ward's strengths and to mitigate FSU pass rush
Lots of use of the H-back
A good amount of QB run (sweeps, read option)
Applewhite did a good job of setting up plays ... example: using the QB sweep and rollout then calling a couple reverses off that action

13th is rush O
44th is Passing
3rd in 3rd down conversions
19th in plays over 30 yds

I remember his offense as a run based spread.

My biggest concern with Applewhite is that there's nothing in his background that really has him as the smart, innovative one in any of his offenses. ****, Houston / Texas fans refer to his offenses as plodding, ball control affairs which is exactly the opposite of what Diaz has said he wants.

Advertisement
I watched the 1st half of the 2015 peach bowl and here are my takeways so far

Solid gameplan by Applewhite
Houston likes to get lined up quickly, making the defense think quick on how to line up and identify keys
Lots of check with me to get the best play call
Moderate use of motion, mainly in the running game
Lots of quick passing
(slants, bubble screens, a few drags), No real down field passing, likely playing to Greg Ward's strengths and to mitigate FSU pass rush
Lots of use of the H-back
A good amount of QB run (sweeps, read option)
Applewhite did a good job of setting up plays ... example: using the QB sweep and rollout then calling a couple reverses off that action

Also a lot of stacked and bunched receivers, and some nice HB shifts to get the ball out in space as an alternative to bubble screens.

The defense looked very stressed, to use a Manny Diaz term. I really liked what I saw.

What is concerning is if you watch the 2017 bowl game against Fresno State (where Applewhite stepped in to call plays), all of that good stuff went away. Not sure why.

All I know is people on here were screaming for Briles. We just hired his boss.

That can't be a bad thing.
Shhh you are making too much sense. We must of an irrational hatred or love for someone to post on here about the OC.

Advertisement
The film doesn’t lie. It’s vanilla and lacks a downfield passing attack.

Prepare to be disappointed.
Yes it is sooo horrible to play to your QB's strengths . People always bashed Richt here for NOT doing that . And there is no world where that offense is vanilla. LMAO if you are going to bash someone or something keep it in reality.

2015 Houston Cougars Stats

1546562111373.png

2016 Houston Cougars Stats

1546562264447.png

Advertisement
Applewhite now has Briles playbook as well so expect to see some of the old Baylor concepts mixed in as well.

Advertisement
Applewhite now has Briles playbook as well so expect to see some of the old Baylor concepts mixed in as well.

I want a guy who creates their own playbook. Applewhite can be a competent professional OC, but he's not an offensive innovator. He has shown that he can work well with young innovative guys, so if this is the move we need to bring him a #2 that will push him in the direction Diaz wants.

My biggest concern with Applewhite is that there's nothing in his background that really has him as the smart, innovative one in any of his offenses. ****, Houston / Texas fans refer to his offenses as plodding, ball control affairs which is exactly the opposite of what Diaz has said he wants.
I watched that Houston game against FSU and came away with some of your same assessment! Not much motion to throw off the DF. A lot of runs up the middle, but they did try to play a little fast. Hope with Diaz's vision of what he expect from the OF that he will be able to help design some plays for the OF that he knows would give his DF fits!

Ward was suspect down the field , hence why all the shirt intermediate throws. That’s what good coaches do.

There’s a reason dude had suck a nice comp %

Advertisement
Back