Xavier Restrepo Breaks Down Commitment

Advertisement
Man, I'd like to see him be Bandy 2.0 and play the Slot on D here. He has that Honey Badger look and swag about him. Those measurables speak Slot to me. Slot on the other side of the ball wouldn't hurt either. Freshman year, put him on Special Teams, especially Punt Returns and see if he can block any. I believe that I read that he's had 7 so far.
Special teams is where he gonna make a killing dawg

Advertisement
Late last night, news broke that Deerfield Beach’s Xavier Restrepo had given a verbal pledge to Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes. For Restrepo, it was a dream come true to commit to Category20.

“The feeling is indescribable. It's just an amazing feeling. I was in my parent’s room, and we were just on the phone, and I could just see the look on my parents’ faces. We’ve accomplished what we needed to accomplish. Obviously, now is the time. This is where it starts, all leading up now. It’s been a crazy journey, and it’s exciting to say I’m finally from the University of Miami.”

One of the people most excited by this news was Restrepo’s mother.

“She’s a very young mother and her reaction - it was unexplainable. The look on her face was just ‘Wow’, because I’m the first person in my family to actually be given the opportunity to go to college.”

Restrepo has had a Miami offer for over a year, but his connection with Miami heated up when Manny Diaz became the head coach.

“I was originally recruited as a defender with Manny Diaz as the defensive coordinator, so when he became the head coach, it was kind of like ‘You know, this is actually good.’”

Restrepo is not ready to shut down his recruitment and stop visiting other schools, but has nothing planned right now. He does, however, know that he is going to be down at Miami very soon.

“I should be up there either this weekend or the following.”

Now that Restrepo is committed, he is turning his focus to recruiting other players to join him at Miami.

“You know I’m trying to get whoever I can down there, but from my team personally, Rooster, Jaylan Knighton. He’s one heck of a football player so that is for sure somebody that I would love to have as my teammate for more years.”

One of the biggest questions in Restrepo’s recruitment is where he will play at the next level. While that is currently still up in the air, Restrepo was actually originally told by UM he would play defense.

“My 10th-grade year they were recruiting me for strong safety or nickel, kind of that drop-down safety. Now they’re saying, ‘We just need you anywhere’. I’m willing to play wherever I can. Wherever can get me on the field as a freshman.”

Committing to Miami was the second big decision Restrepo has made this offseason. The first one was the decision to transfer from St. Thomas to Deerfield, in part so he could graduate early.

“I know players over here, and they are just good people. They are not just good football players; they welcome you very, very well.” Restrepo said. “It's been awesome. It truly feels like a family. I feel at home, no matter where I’m at.”

One of the ramifications of Restrepo transferring to Deerfield is that he is going back to playing both offense and defense after focusing solely on the attacking side of the ball at St. Thomas. In fact, Restrepo likely would not have gotten the green light to commit had he not been playing defense.

“For sure, without a doubt. That actually came up in the conversation we had.”

And his message for Hurricane fans everywhere?

“It’s great to be home. I’m a Miami baby, born and raised. I’m excited. I need them to be as loud as they can once I step into the stadium. There’s going to be a lot of great things to be watching and cheering for in the 2020 season.”

Edit:
Restrepo wanted to clear up what he meant about future visits. "My recruitment is shut down at this time. I'm not looking for any other schools or to visit anywhere. My heart is in Miami."

Big fan of this one, and particularly what it says about our coaching staff. No more d*cking around. You find good football players who want to commit and are serious about wanting to be at Miami, you take their commitment.

CheapImmaterialBoa-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
I didn't know which thread to post this on but if you haven't listened to the OBB latest podcast , you are missing out. They brought Restrepo on and the kid was gold. Really impressed with him.

Here's a link :

Where does it start?

Advertisement
I didn't know which thread to post this on but if you haven't listened to the OBB latest podcast , you are missing out. They brought Restrepo on and the kid was gold. Really impressed with him.

Here's a link :

Thanks for sharing this interview!

Kid is very mature and has a high football I.Q..

Very impressed by the way he carries himself. Also love it that he’s got swag. His line about telling DB’s that he’s “like 7-11 Eleven ‘cause he’s always open” is epic.

The Opening bureaucracy sucks, as usual. Kid ran an incredible time twice and they couldn’t deal with it. Even made him change his wristband. That’s some funny ****. 😂

Thanks for sharing this interview!

Kid is very mature and has a high football I.Q..

Very impressed by the way he carries himself. Also love it that he’s got swag. His line about telling DB’s that he’s “like 7-11 Eleven ‘cause he’s always open” is epic.

The Opening bureaucracy sucks, as usual. Kid ran an incredible time twice and they couldn’t deal with it. Even made him change his wristband. That’s some funny ****. 😂
The opening is so bad man. So many of these guys win the mvp at their position and don’t get invited to the opening finals.

The opening is so bad man. So many of these guys win the mvp at their position and don’t get invited to the opening finals.

I hear you, Cane brother. It’s a travesty. Politics ruin everything in life. That’s why I always try to look at a kid’s film and research as much as I can before bytching about not having enough stars.

Only stars I care about are the ones that show up to represent this U, and whoop the opponents *** on game day. The rest is just trivial bull$hit.

Not saying that wanting highly rated kids is a bad thing, but it’s not the tell all, end all.

Advertisement
Solid. Kid seems excited to be a Cane, and wants to commit early. Let's see how thing shake out over the next few months.
Nothing solid about leaving St.Thomas to go to Deerfield "to graduate early" - stop

Advertisement
Back