WR recruiting and Dugans Evaluations

The three that got away, not talking the elites, were Moore, Atwell, and Schwartz.

We could've gotten Moore and Atwell. Schwartz was looking for the best of both worlds, football and T&F. If we could've landed him though, teams would've been terrified of the those three on the field at the same time.
I would of taken any of those over an out state wr like ezzard

Last edited:
Advertisement
The three that got away, not talking the elites, were Moore, Atwell, and Schwartz.

We could've gotten Moore and Atwell. Schwartz was looking for the best of both worlds, football and T&F. If we could've landed him though, teams would've been terrified of the those three on the field at the same time.
Thornton would’ve been nice too

Fail Sad But True GIF by Cheezburger

Advertisement
What was Ezzard's deal? Confirmed he was bad news in the locker room?

He was only there one year.

The Cooper loss hurts in so many ways - I would say it is similar to seeing Peterson balling out on Sundays for the last 10 years. Two elite SF talents that 1000000% Canes.

Was Cooper ever in play or was he always Bama?

What was Ezzard's deal? Confirmed he was bad news in the locker room?

He was only there one year.

The Cooper loss hurts in so many ways - I would say it is similar to seeing Peterson balling out on Sundays for the last 10 years. Two elite SF talents that 1000000% Canes.

Was Cooper ever in play or was he always Bama?
Cooper
He wanted to commit to us. He was silent for one night.... Went home to tell him mom and she asked him to take his visits. Long story short, welcome to Alabama.

I think this is some revisionist history.

1. We recruited studs at WR.
2. We lost out on the highest profile guys, most regularly to Alabama. There will also ALWAYS be a South Florida guy like Atwell that we missed, for whatever reason, but who balls out elsewhere. Let's not get outlier obsessed.
3. We also signed some studs. Pope was a big get. Who didn't think Wiggins could play? The problem is they didn't become anything special and it hurts bad now.

IMO this really exposes two issues. First, we have had a **** of a time keeping the real tri-county studs home. Hopefully this class changes that trend. Second, our receivers just have not gotten much better during their time here. I don't see any change in that regard yet.

I was never a big fan of Wiggins or Harley. Argued with people about taking Wiggins over Tyquan Thornton. Mike "rigor mortis" Harley should have been never offers. Pope was a guy I had high hopes for but he wants to be carried away by owls when he gets older.

Advertisement
To be fair, the evaluations were not bad. Ezzard showed great ability on contested catches, Njoku showed surprising fluidity, and Hightower was very well-rounded.

They all had individual circumstances (depth passing up, injury + lazy, unfair treatment respectively).

The lack of development for most of the guys, combined with an anemic offense, is the cause for none of these guys performing to our expectations.

Others were bad evaluations no doubt, but I don’t think these guys were.

ezzards is slow auf, if your gonna have a small guy he better be Kevin Williams, roscoe Parrish fast not 10.9 fast like Harley. To ***** slow. Wiggins is a bigger Harley. Waste. I have no idea what these dudes be seeing in some of these guys. Woresham is Prolly next on this list

Lmao..Miami could have had Swartz, Thornton, that lil *** rb/wr from Miramar that was fast that went to auburn, Atwell and Moore.

I have no idea how harely got an offer. Dude sucked at St Thomas. He ain't fast enough to be the small wr here. You need to be roscoe Parrish fast to play here. **** popes weird ads should have been the slot pick. Same with Wiggins..why didn't he continue to run track? Lazy? don't wanna work? don't like to run? smh red flag right there. I will say this, it looks like he's worked harder than pope and Harley since he's been here which Polly ain't saying much. Mallory comes off as a weirdo to.

y'all need to stop making excuses for bad evaluations.

WHALE HE WAS A 4-STAR!!!

Just because everyone got an evaluation wrong - including some 40K/year ham'n'eggers at 247, Rivals, etc. doesn't mean the coach making 10x or more of that gets a pass for the bad evaluation.

Dugans was downright terrible. He can take his DONK and stay in Trailerhassee until he's dead and we'll be better for it. Taylor Stubblefield was even worse. There are posters on this very website that have a better eye for talent at the WR position than those jabronis.

When you're in South Florida, I am sorry, but you can not misevaluate the wide receiver position. You literally sit on a hotbed of the best wide receivers in the nation at the high school level every year. You gotta get it right and when you don't or can't, you gotta be gone and stay gone.

Advertisement
Idk
Someone on twitter the other day mentioned that SFL WRs unfortunately still rely on their speed, and that they’re not properly training with weights to become stronger. And so the game of CFB is only getting faster and recruits from other states are adapting. Speed, Technique and Strength.
Idk how true this is but I’m of that same opinion. Houston wideouts even if shorter are extremely well built and physical. All of our wideouts coming out of high school are fast and near 200 already. The south Florida wideout seems like it needs a lot of work in comparison. Of course their are the guys that are just ballers

Idk

Idk how true this is but I’m of that same opinion. Houston wideouts even if shorter are extremely well built and physical. All of our wideouts coming out of high school are fast and near 200 already. The south Florida wideout seems like it needs a lot of work in comparison. Of course their are the guys that are just ballers
Yea these 5’10-6’1 receivers who weigh a buck 60 and rely on their 4.4 speed. (Guys like Pope) will be extinct in CFB come a couple years. Dk Metcalf & Julio Jones are already showing to be the standard prototype.

Advertisement
Someone on twitter the other day mentioned that SFL WRs unfortunately still rely on their speed, and that they’re not properly training with weights to become stronger. And so the game of CFB is only getting faster and recruits from other states are adapting. Speed, Technique and Strength.
What a dead horse this is. It's not weight training that's the issue down here. Not just from a college perspective but period kids rely solely on their physical traits(speed, athleticism,vertical,length etc) because very rarely is their anyone coaching them up properly. Certain schools have legit staffs where certain positions can be developed. Seems to me that's mainly several private schools but whatever. Other states put extreme pride and resources into high school sports etc(like we do for soccer and baseball) we have as a whole median income families incapable of affording the same private coaches etc that other states are doing since a very young age. Look at Texas, pennsylvania, connecticut,Cali,georgia, etc. Most it doesn't cost quite so much to live and their job markets are better. It entails the families to spend on their child's future in ways we struggle with. Being honest if it wasn't for shady **** and people like luke and snoop, Flo, Brisco, e class, freeze, rich & a few others optimist ball would be **** near extinct. People don't wanna hear it but there's your truth. When you get to places where your physical traits don't make you stand out as much than you fall back on technique and coaching. Well what happens when you're so god **** pig headed you refuse to learn from that coaching... THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. good night

FWIW, I was a Moore fan and read CIS posters argue that he didn’t even start on his own team.
I was a Moore fan as well. This Board was torn between Moore and Harley and our coaches got it wrong, obviously.

With our luck, Yulkeith Brown will end up being a stud somewhere other than Miami and Brashard Smith (Palmetto Kid) will flop.

For the record...I love Smith and indeed prefer him over Brown.

Last edited:
My bad wrong spelling.i think miami shouldn't recruit a wr out of state unless there a top 100 national player and have legit interest.
Y'all are stone cold crazy if you think any of those three would've developed into the players they are if they came here. Plenty of reasons kids leave. Our **** coaching is in the forefront of alot of those. I'm sure most of y'all will mention our current coaches and with the exception of possibly 3 of them they haven't been able to develop anyone anywhere EVER...

Advertisement
Back