2024 WR Jeremiah Smith (Commits to OSU 12/14/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I disagree with this way of thinking, i don’t judge qbs in the nfl based of the team they played for in college. Every qb is different, just like u shouldn’t target michigan or Tennessee qbs because of brady and peyton.

I judge the player not the helmet, they have proven production at qb and produced 2 first rounders under day. As a recruit thats all u can ask for.
I suppose I can see your way of thinking. However, a system is a system. A coach works inside of that system... Disagree or not that's what it is. Hence why people that don't really comprehend what they're saying state that Mario isn't emphasizing his qbs. You can intelligently atleast attempt to make that argument. That's like putting Joe Montana into a primarily wishbone offense... You think he's still gonna be Joe Montana? People on here seem to ride a hard line when it relates to this. Its either everything is on the coach or everything is on the player. Rarely does anyone seem to comprehend the concept of TEAM SPORTS... Each and every person that player comes into contact is relevant to that players development. That's his upbringing,his teachers, his parents,his coaches from a young age up,his teammates,his competition all the way to his s & c,his nutritionist, the ga,etc. No player comes in and simply becomes what he's supposed to. That's a bull**** myth that only fans are capable of creating & honestly it's disrespectful to everyone including the players and diminishes the roles and the work that everyone involved put in...

I suppose I can see your way of thinking. However, a system is a system. A coach works inside of that system... Disagree or not that's what it is. Hence why people that don't really comprehend what they're saying state that Mario isn't emphasizing his qbs. You can intelligently atleast attempt to make that argument. That's like putting Joe Montana into a primarily wishbone offense... You think he's still gonna be Joe Montana? People on here seem to ride a hard line when it relates to this. Its either everything is on the coach or everything is on the player. Rarely does anyone seem to comprehend the concept of TEAM SPORTS... Each and every person that player comes into contact is relevant to that players development. That's his upbringing,his teachers, his parents,his coaches from a young age up,his teammates,his competition all the way to his s & c,his nutritionist, the ga,etc. No player comes in and simply becomes what he's supposed to. That's a bull**** myth that only fans are capable of creating & honestly it's disrespectful to everyone including the players and diminishes the roles and the work that everyone involved put in...
I agree with all of this but idk if it correlates to what i was originally responding to. But it kinda proves my point a little that every player is different and thats why we shouldn’t judge any player’s projection to the nfl solely based on where they went to college.

Outside of maybe lincoln riley, there isn’t a specific college you can point to that has had a consistent history of good nfl qbs so i never understood people saying this specific colleges qb always bust, its rare for any college to have multiple good ones in the nfl

I agree with all of this but idk if it correlates to what i was originally responding to. But it kinda proves my point a little that every player is different and thats why we shouldn’t judge any player’s projection to the nfl solely based on where they went to college.

Outside of maybe lincoln riley, there isn’t a specific college you can point to that has had a consistent history of good nfl qbs so i never understood people saying this specific colleges qb always bust, its rare for any college to have multiple good ones in the nfl
Lincoln Riley? As in Kyler Murray & buddy from Cleveland?

Advertisement
So TVD quit on the team and we haven’t replaced him through the portal or Garcia for that matter and we’re running with an annointed what if QB, a QB who can’t throw and a freshman…

Is that what I’m reading here?

Lincoln Riley? As in Kyler Murray & buddy from Cleveland?
Yea those 2 they won the heisman got drafted 1st led their team to the playoffs and are still in the league now, compared to the pool of college qbs every year those are successful guys lol…But u see my point? Its already lotto odds to become a solid starting nfl qb so tying the success or failure in the nfl to what college they went to is the wrong way to look at it

Reactions: jsy
I honestly believe that injury got in his head. When he came out that last time, it was not whether he could perform anymore, but that he didn't want to go back in for more abuse. He didn't buy into what we were doing, don't blame him, and wasn't alone. Sort of threw in the towel.

Thoughts?
The entire offensive unit threw in the towel. It was a total coaching cluster %%%%. Tight environment, no secrets. The entire roster knew Gattis was horrible, that he was dead man walking. Bad situation when the offensive coaches can't even work together ... horrible for the players.

Yea those 2 they won the heisman got drafted 1st led their team to the playoffs and are still in the league now, compared to the pool of college qbs every year those are successful guys lol…But u see my point? Its already lotto odds to become a solid starting nfl qb so tying the success or failure in the nfl to what college they went to is the wrong way to look at it
You're missing my point then. What I've been saying is it has nothing to do with GETTING you there. It's how does the system you play in college PREPARE YOU to become a starting quarterback in the NFL. Does it give you the tools necessary to thrive in the NFL. Not just simply get their. It's like with Mike leach or June Jones. They get **** good play from the position at the college level. But it doesn't equate to playing the position in the league.

Advertisement
I love how everybody loves to kill MC for the “under utilized“ numbers Herbert put up in the 2 season that MC was HC. Tell me again who were the world beaters he had at WRs/TE? I‘ll help you out, they are all doing something other than playing football on Sundays.

Herbert was under utilized to the tune of 6600 yards and 61 TDs in his 2 seasons under MC.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
Passing
2016OregonPac-12FRQB816225563.519367.68.4194148.8
*2017OregonPac-12SOQB813920667.519839.610.0155167.5
*2018OregonPac-12JRQB1324040459.431517.88.3298144.6
*2019OregonPac-12SRQB1428642866.834718.19.0326156.8
CareerOregon827129364.0105418.28.89523153.1

by comparison during the same time period Tua under Kiffin and Sark put up 7700 yards and 76 TDs throwing to the likes of Jeudy, Waddle, Ruggs, Devonta Smith and Najee Harris.

2018151514−124535569.03,96611.2436199.4571903.35
2019998−118025271.42,84011.3333206.923170.72

(Breaks down to roughly 50 yards and .6 TDs a game more for Tua.)

It’s always been he didn’t unleash Herbert more than killed him imo.

You're missing my point then. What I've been saying is it has nothing to do with GETTING you there. It's how does the system you play in college PREPARE YOU to become a starting quarterback in the NFL. Does it give you the tools necessary to thrive in the NFL. Not just simply get their. It's like with Mike leach or June Jones. They get **** good play from the position at the college level. But it doesn't equate to playing the position in the league.
Only pushback I have is most of these high school kids aren't looking big picture like that. The selling point isn't NFL success, its draft success. Majority are just looking at who can get me drafted.

I've heard a different narrative- not that he killed Herbert's career, but that Herbert's abilities weren't fully maximized in Cristobal's offense. You can say that Oregon didn't have the overall talent that Bama had, so it's not fair to say that the Ducks should have won a championship with him- but what's the reason the Ducks squeaked by Washington and Washington State in 2019, and lost to a bad Arizona State? Oregon had far more talent than those teams. The close games and losses created the perception that Herbert didn't have a killer instinct.

At ASU in particular, Oregon was down 21-7 with 8 min to go. And this is not an exaggeration - in nearly every series up to middle of the 4th quarter , the Ducks ran on 1st and 2nd down. You may have one of the best QBs in all of college football - why isn't Cristobal letting Herbert go wild? When Cristobal finally took the handcuffs off and went pass first , Oregon scored 3 TDs in a matter of minutes. That conservative game plan for 3/4 of the game cost them a playoff spot. And I'm sure GMs around the NFL were thinking to themselves, "there must be a reason Cristobal wanted a ball control gameplan. Maybe he thinks Herbert can't be trusted to not turn the ball over."

And I'm curious as to why you think the Dolphins would pick an injury prone 6'1" QB over Herbert? One draft spot difference may not sound like a big deal, but money-wise it's a difference of $4 million in overall salary and around 3 million in guaranteed money.

Yes, but the whole argument by Oregon fans is just ridiculous.

In Mario's first couple of years, Oregon's OL was not nearly as good as it was at the end. And Herbert got his collarbone broken in 2017 under Taggart's offense.

I don't think it is that shocking for a HC to be SOMEWHAT protective of his QB's health, particularly when there isn't a strong backup and when the kid is ticketed for a high draft pick. As I've pointed out before, Cristobal/Arroyo called more and more passes each year with Herbert.

It's easy to second-guess in retrospect. But there were valid reasons to not call a pass for Herbert on every down.

Again, Oregon fans were complaining...but about what? Because some of Herbert's passes should have been longer passes? Ridiculous, given the big picture of Herbert's health and the overall success of the team.

Advertisement
It’s always been he didn’t unleash Herbert more than killed him imo.
herbert was described as another tannehill going into the draft. he came out looking nothing like tannehill when he started week 2 or 3. I still believe he wasn't unleashed at Oregon but I dont think he was killed by any means. either way, Mario has a rep. we can argue all day but it wont matter bc hes seen as a bonehead on offense until it changes on the field. last year didnt help.

Yes, but the whole argument by Oregon fans is just ridiculous.

In Mario's first couple of years, Oregon's OL was not nearly as good as it was at the end. And Herbert got his collarbone broken in 2017 under Taggart's offense.

I don't think it is that shocking for a HC to be SOMEWHAT protective of his QB's health, particularly when there isn't a strong backup and when the kid is ticketed for a high draft pick. As I've pointed out before, Cristobal/Arroyo called more and more passes each year with Herbert.

It's easy to second-guess in retrospect. But there were valid reasons to not call a pass for Herbert on every down.

Again, Oregon fans were complaining...but about what? Because some of Herbert's passes should have been longer passes? Ridiculous, given the big picture of Herbert's health and the overall success of the team.
Samething with us last year u cant call all these drop backs (no ecuses for gattis trash *** scheme) but TVD would of gotten killed back there. And he did get hurt lol

herbert was described as another tannehill going into the draft. he came out looking nothing like tannehill when he started week 2 or 3. I still believe he wasn't unleashed at Oregon but I dont think he was killed by any means. either way, Mario has a rep. we can argue all day but it wont matter bc hes seen as a bonehead on offense until it changes on the field. last year didnt help.

Oregon had crap for WR's and there was no way they could be a full air it out offense where the D could key on the passing game all day because of it.

They were a balanced offense (which is what you should be) and Herbert had a monster year where he piled up stats and wins.

Modernizing the offense with Dawson is a complete reset, regardless. We may not be Alabama this year, but we will be dynamic and innovative and kids will see an opportunity, especially if we can get a couple of last pieces in the portal.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He would of been undisputed 1st pick if Oregon ran a good spread that didn’t throw like 30% screens. I think seeing the disparity between the chargers wide open scheme vs the screen heavy college scheme is really where the “killed” narrative comes from

Only pushback I have is most of these high school kids aren't looking big picture like that. The selling point isn't NFL success, its draft success. Majority are just looking at who can get me drafted.
Now when you say most then we're no longer discussing the same thing. I'm talking about the elite kids. The ones y'all seem to dwell on most. Elite kids,they approach the process one of two ways. Its either where can I get the most money NOW or from a more cerebral approach and established connections. That's an NFL path. For instance just staying in house. When Alonzo talks with kids, he talks about NFL path & trajectory. He talks about ties he has and what teams need to see out of them. Past that can't really argue the draft success part. Plenty of kids lack the foresight. It's the elite ones I see differently.

The argument could be made I suppose that big picture van dyke has more upside. But I'm not sure what that's founded on besides his tools and his upside.
I’m not trying to get at you and I don’t know how to judge a QB, but you can’t say you don’t know what to judge his upside on besides his upside.

Now when you say most then we're no longer discussing the same thing. I'm talking about the elite kids. The ones y'all seem to dwell on most. Elite kids,they approach the process one of two ways. Its either where can I get the most money NOW or from a more cerebral approach and established connections. That's an NFL path. For instance just staying in house. When Alonzo talks with kids, he talks about NFL path & trajectory. He talks about ties he has and what teams need to see out of them. Past that can't really argue the draft success part. Plenty of kids lack the foresight. It's the elite ones I see differently.
I think if we’re taking strictly the QB position your point is dead on. Imo he’s closer to right at other positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back