2024 WR Jeremiah Smith (Commits to OSU 12/14/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been on that train as well. It’s why I’d shy away from stroud.

You know what’s crazy? Troy smith has the most nfl success of any of their QBs.

Buddy of mine always hypes the OSU QBs during the draft and I just say “you all know how I feel about that”. I’m currently batting 💯

Advertisement
Everything you said proves my point. He said my take was stupid for taking TVD over Bryce Young based on what he did under Lashlee. He flexing about last season. Man gets a new OC who did not fit here or fit TVD skill set. Lose his targets and then decimate the OL. While Bryce has 5 and 4 stars all around him on both sides of the ball. In the season when TVD went off, Bryce Young was #1 in short passes that went for big yards. He dumped it off, the ball catcher makes moves and get yards. Im not gonna argue with no one, I used data to say TVD was better, they had almost identical stats with Bryce on a title game playing team, TVD was on a 7-5 team that started 2-4 with him as a backup.

As for Tua im a dolphins fan, i watch the games. Im not getn rid of him unless i know there is someone guaranteed better. My concern is his concussions. I know his limits, we can win with him.
The point is the concussions are the bigger picture with tua. They're a constant and that's not going away so long as he plays this game. Tua has ALWAYS been injury prone. This is nothing new. Now he's one concussion away from calling himself tua seau. He needs to retire & dolphins need to move on not because he sucks. But because of he's never gonna be there when it counts. Simple. Far as van dyke over young yeah I'm not gonna cosign that one. I'm not crazy about either to be honest. Tyler as I told y'all last year has ALOT to improve on. Young is a finished product basically. The argument could be made I suppose that big picture van dyke has more upside. But I'm not sure what that's founded on besides his tools and his upside. Because if you use that same argument about his weapons at his disposal than use that same argument for Tyler. Outside of Rambo deep & Harley & tight ends in a very QB friendly system on dump offs essentially than what is the comparison based on. Young atleast showed for several seasons the ability to make virtually every throw. That's all you can ask out of a QB. Clearly he had far better weapons at his disposal but he still had to make all the throws and won a Heisman doing it.

The point is the concussions are the bigger picture with tua. They're a constant and that's not going away so long as he plays this game. Tua has ALWAYS been injury prone. This is nothing new. Now he's one concussion away from calling himself tua seau. He needs to retire & dolphins need to move on not because he sucks. But because of he's never gonna be there when it counts. Simple. Far as van dyke over young yeah I'm not gonna cosign that one. I'm not crazy about either to be honest. Tyler as I told y'all last year has ALOT to improve on. Young is a finished product basically. The argument could be made I suppose that big picture van dyke has more upside. But I'm not sure what that's founded on besides his tools and his upside. Because if you use that same argument about his weapons at his disposal than use that same argument for Tyler. Outside of Rambo deep & Harley & tight ends in a very QB friendly system on dump offs essentially than what is the comparison based on. Young atleast showed for several seasons the ability to make virtually every throw. That's all you can ask out of a QB. Clearly he had far better weapons at his disposal but he still had to make all the throws and won a Heisman doing it.
No argument to be made

Tvd has way more upside in the league than young come on

*** I’ve been criticized here just bringing up the development aspect at OSU. It is extremely valid.

I won’t criticize a kid for choosing OSU based on:

If you’re starting:

You’ll win
You’ll put up #s and have fun
You’ll be drafted

But history shows: You will flame out in the league

The one time they actually have a legitimate NFL QB he doesn’t play and goes off to LSU.
It's more than that when it relates to qbs. You gotta remember day was an urban Meyer disciple. He runs essentially the same system. That system has NEVER at any program PRODUCED AN NFL READY QB. You may attempt to argue Alex Smith. As I said NFL ready and everyone at San Fran including smith said he had to start over from complete scratch because he had no clue nor fundamentals to be an NFL QB period let alone a starter. Won't even get into his golden queen in that pud pulling fruit shebow. Just look at them in house for proof. Buddy at Cincy his whole life wanted nothing more than to start at QB for osu. He even sat till it was his turn patiently. What did they do? They went out and got a system fit who did well for them in that system in fields. But they ran off buddy in the process and he would've been dangerous with those weapons.

Kids have the attention span of about 5 seconds these days. There is no sense of history.
J smith and Innis are just hedging the risk and not betting on themselves. They see osu as some school that will automatically get you in on day one.

They actually believe in the ability of Hartline more than they believe in the ability that they already have.
It’s also the negative angle towards um that osu keeps repeating and it’s working. The clowning Hartline and that fat Fck keep pumping out on social media is also working.

I get it.
But the kids are acting like the only school putting receivers in the league on day one is osu.
IMO It’s a security blanket that they won’t let go of regardless of what we do on the field this year.

I don't buy all of that.

When we were balling, we had kids forsaking the local school and moving across the country to play here.

Competition and putting out draft picks, testing themselves against the best.

You don't go to an OSU, Bama, etc not believing in yourself and instead, just some coach. You have to have supreme confidence, if you don't, you go somewhere like here. This isn't always the case, but far more often than not.

Top recruits want to play for the best teams. In our case, we haven't done squat since before they were born. Meanwhile, OSU. Bama, etc have been doing it. Kids these days aren't into losers and when an elite comes calling, they're ecstatic. ****, they may already be a fan of that school. I can promise you there's more kids in S. FL who are fans of Bama and OSU, Clemson, OU, etc than there are of us.

**** isn't going to change until we start winning. We all believe Mario is that guy, a lot of people believed his predecessors were, but that's because we're fans. I don't believe **** until it happens, been here and done that. Last coach I believed in, was Richt. Mario, he'd fall in second, but I'm far from sold as this is one crazy *** time in college football and IMHO, he had a lot of question marks.

Advertisement
No argument to be made

Tvd has way more upside in the league than young come on
HE SHOULD. But at this point it's based on what? He still has to prove the talk is more than just that. He still has to develop into more than a system QB. Because when you take tempo away from him and ask him to share the load,he struggles. Anotherwords if you tell him you're going to throw the ball 25-30 times a game. Your route tree consists upon x,y,& z & you have a game plan to stick with(obviously you don't take away his ability to audible but you do take away his ability to throw 40 plus passes a game) he hasn't proven he's able to do that. In order to talk about him at that level he's gonna have to be able to show that. I think he can. But he's not there yet. Not even close. Same thing some people told y'all last year. Than after watching him blow rec multiple times the fanbase turned around and said this can't be on him. **** gattis he's gotta go... Maybe they all played a role in what we saw last season. I gaurenteed it would've been very different with a healthy team. But injuries happen. Is what it is.

Kids have the attention span of about 5 seconds these days. There is no sense of history.
J smith and Innis are just hedging the risk and not betting on themselves. They see osu as some school that will automatically get you in on day one.

They actually believe in the ability of Hartline more than they believe in the ability that they already have.
It’s also the negative angle towards um that osu keeps repeating and it’s working. The clowning Hartline and that fat Fck keep pumping out on social media is also working.

I get it.
But the kids are acting like the only school putting receivers in the league on day one is osu.
IMO It’s a security blanket that they won’t let go of regardless of what we do on the field this year.
Yes and no. At a certain point we're gonna have to show we have a heartbeat. Until we do why would you put your fate into our hands?

HE SHOULD. But at this point it's based on what? He still has to prove the talk is more than just that. He still has to develop into more than a system QB. Because when you take tempo away from him and ask him to share the load,he struggles. Anotherwords if you tell him you're going to throw the ball 25-30 times a game. Your route tree consists upon x,y,& z & you have a game plan to stick with(obviously you don't take away his ability to audible but you do take away his ability to throw 40 plus passes a game) he hasn't proven he's able to do that. In order to talk about him at that level he's gonna have to be able to show that. I think he can. But he's not there yet. Not even close. Same thing some people told y'all last year. Than after watching him blow rec multiple times the fanbase turned around and said this can't be on him. **** gattis he's gotta go... Maybe they all played a role in what we saw last season. I gaurenteed it would've been very different with a healthy team. But injuries happen. Is what it is.

I honestly believe that injury got in his head. When he came out that last time, it was not whether he could perform anymore, but that he didn't want to go back in for more abuse. He didn't buy into what we were doing, don't blame him, and wasn't alone. Sort of threw in the towel.

Thoughts?

I don't buy all of that.

When we were balling, we had kids forsaking the local school and moving across the country to play here.

Competition and putting out draft picks, testing themselves against the best.

You don't go to an OSU, Bama, etc not believing in yourself and instead, just some coach. You have to have supreme confidence, if you don't, you go somewhere like here. This isn't always the case, but far more often than not.

Top recruits want to play for the best teams. In our case, we haven't done squat since before they were born. Meanwhile, OSU. Bama, etc have been doing it. Kids these days aren't into losers and when an elite comes calling, they're ecstatic. ****, they may already be a fan of that school. I can promise you there's more kids in S. FL who are fans of Bama and OSU, Clemson, OU, etc than there are of us.

**** isn't going to change until we start winning. We all believe Mario is that guy, a lot of people believed his predecessors were, but that's because we're fans. I don't believe **** until it happens, been here and done that. Last coach I believed in, was Richt. Mario, he'd fall in second, but I'm far from sold as this is one crazy *** time in college football and IMHO, he had a lot of question marks.
Smith can go anywhere he wants. He’s going to osu cause of Hartline. Period.

He can go to Bama or uga and they would drop dudes to fit him in its class.
Both have been winning more than osu. Both have elite qb’s.

This narrative of winning and they’ll come is getting played out.
Win what? 8 9 10 games? We’ve done that already.
Win the coastal?
We’re going up against playoff and championship teams.
We’re not reaching that level without dudes like smith.

We win the coastal and the frontrunners come down with playoff wins and first rounders.

We have to land them first and we have to convince them to come first.

Advertisement
Dude went top 10 in the NFL draft. How in the **** did Mario kill his career?!?!

I've heard a different narrative- not that he killed Herbert's career, but that Herbert's abilities weren't fully maximized in Cristobal's offense. You can say that Oregon didn't have the overall talent that Bama had, so it's not fair to say that the Ducks should have won a championship with him- but what's the reason the Ducks squeaked by Washington and Washington State in 2019, and lost to a bad Arizona State? Oregon had far more talent than those teams. The close games and losses created the perception that Herbert didn't have a killer instinct.

At ASU in particular, Oregon was down 21-7 with 8 min to go. And this is not an exaggeration - in nearly every series up to middle of the 4th quarter , the Ducks ran on 1st and 2nd down. You may have one of the best QBs in all of college football - why isn't Cristobal letting Herbert go wild? When Cristobal finally took the handcuffs off and went pass first , Oregon scored 3 TDs in a matter of minutes. That conservative game plan for 3/4 of the game cost them a playoff spot. And I'm sure GMs around the NFL were thinking to themselves, "there must be a reason Cristobal wanted a ball control gameplan. Maybe he thinks Herbert can't be trusted to not turn the ball over."

And I'm curious as to why you think the Dolphins would pick an injury prone 6'1" QB over Herbert? One draft spot difference may not sound like a big deal, but money-wise it's a difference of $4 million in overall salary and around 3 million in guaranteed money.

Reactions: E1k
I honestly believe that injury got in his head. When he came out that last time, it was not whether he could perform anymore, but that he didn't want to go back in for more abuse. He didn't buy into what we were doing, don't blame him, and wasn't alone. Sort of threw in the towel.

Thoughts?
In order to do that you have to believe that injury was 100% genuine... I'll leave it at yeah I agree he didn't believe in what we were doing and I'll agree he threw in the towel. Far as don't blame him nah I'm not good with that one. If y'all would've seen how hard we all (especially our qbs) used to work in the offseason you'd understand more my issues with him. Soon as injuries set in where did his rhythm go? It was gone with his roommate.

I've heard a different narrative- not that he killed Herbert's career, but that Herbert's abilities weren't fully maximized in Cristobal's offense. You can say that Oregon didn't have the overall talent that Bama had, so it's not fair to say that the Ducks should have won a championship with him- but what's the reason the Ducks squeaked by Washington and Washington State in 2019, and lost to a bad Arizona State? Oregon had far more talent than those teams. The close games and losses created the perception that Herbert didn't have a killer instinct.

At ASU in particular, Oregon was down 21-7 with 8 min to go. And this is not an exaggeration - in nearly every series up to middle of the 4th quarter , the Ducks ran on 1st and 2nd down. You may have one of the best QBs in all of college football - why isn't Cristobal letting Herbert go wild? When Cristobal finally took the handcuffs off and went pass first , Oregon scored 3 TDs in a matter of minutes. That conservative game plan for 3/4 of the game cost them a playoff spot. And I'm sure GMs around the NFL were thinking to themselves, "there must be a reason Cristobal wanted a ball control gameplan. Maybe he thinks Herbert can't be trusted to not turn the ball over."

And I'm curious as to why you think the Dolphins would pick an injury prone 6'1" QB over Herbert? One draft spot difference may not sound like a big deal, but money-wise it's a difference of $4 million in overall salary and around 3 million in guaranteed money.
It's a team sport. To use that argument than look into our own history. Why did we ever lose to Washington, Tennessee or Penn st. How bout byu etc. Sometimes TEAMS simply don't show up. I personally don't agree at all with anything that says Mario held him back. But that's just my opinion. Back to the osu Convo and if Jeremiah changes things up. More of an accurate comparison for our own history and Oregon's talent level at the time would be jim Kelly here.

In order to do that you have to believe that injury was 100% genuine... I'll leave it at yeah I agree he didn't believe in what we were doing and I'll agree he threw in the towel. Far as don't blame him nah I'm not good with that one. If y'all would've seen how hard we all (especially our qbs) used to work in the offseason you'd understand more my issues with him. Soon as injuries set in where did his rhythm go? It was gone with his roommate.

Kind of what I figured and had heard rumblings of.

When I say I don't blame him, players all over didn't believe in that staff. It was a team let down or quit if you will. He knew there weren't games to be won the way it was going and so did others at that point. Team had been neutered.

I don't get that mentality, but I've seen it. Every down will be scrutinized and is on film. He wants a shot at the next level, it all counts. Questions will be asked.

Advertisement

I still don't buy the Herbert stuff. Kid was a 3 star coming out, not a can't miss 5 star. Was the 3rd QB taken that draft and people are making him out to be a generation QB. He's turned out to be a very good NFL QB but he's still not proven to be able to win big games. It's not like he's Patty Mahomes winning ships or even Burrow getting to the Superbowl in year 2. He's played in one playoff game and he blew a 27-0 lead. All in all, maybe that's just who he is. A guy who is very good but not quite the put team on my back kinda guy.

Smith can go anywhere he wants. He’s going to osu cause of Hartline. Period.

He can go to Bama or uga and they would drop dudes to fit him in its class.
Both have been winning more than osu. Both have elite qb’s.

This narrative of winning and they’ll come is getting played out.
Win what? 8 9 10 games? We’ve done that already.
Win the coastal?
We’re going up against playoff and championship teams.
We’re not reaching that level without dudes like smith.

We win the coastal and the frontrunners come down with playoff wins and first rounders.

We have to land them first and we have to convince them to come first.

Bama is the only comp for WR"s at the top.

I have no issue with a WR going there. ****, if the choice was us or some other schools, my advice would be those that have proven it, not talking about it. Any school in the country would take him, make room for him, etc. Put Hartline at some mediocre program (that includes us) and he's still going to an elite and not coming here. Hartline would go from all world to mediocre if the rest of the parts don't come together.

Win consistently. Not some outlier 8, 9, or 10 win season. We follow those seasons up with 6 or 7 wins, a coach gets fired. We got worse with Mario. 8 or 9 wins doesn't get you in the game with most elite recruits.

You want these guys, be prepared to pay a big NIL number over their number one school. Even then you're not the favorite.

Rome wasn't built in a day. You either have a great X's and O's staff that gets a lot our of a good recruit or you find guys who might not be a day one starter, but the potential is there. Same way we did it before, it wasn't overnight. Build on success, get better, win more games, etc.

You don't stop recruiting these guys, you'll get a few. Still gonna lose out more than win out. Keep building it up.

The idea though that you tried to push earlier, I disagree with. It isn't just a coach, it's a system and school that produces year in and year out. Whoever their WR coach is, he'll be the next Hartline. Staffs change, they produced before him, and they'll produce after him.

The best thing that can happen this season is for TVD to turn into a 1st round pick..then Mario can sell 2 first round QBs despite what rivals say about him and his offensive mindset
This only matters elsewhere. We had 2 DEs go first round and another round 3 and we didn’t see the fruits of that labor. Miami is the only school that has to “prove” it.

Advertisement
Yes and no. At a certain point we're gonna have to show we have a heartbeat. Until we do why would you put your fate into our hands?
Lonzo and Melvin put their faith in a dude.
A lot of players trusted a dude with back to back 5 win seasons.
Can’t have a heart beat without good blood.
This isn’t some up an commer coach we have at the helm. This isn’t a scrub ad, this isn’t some inexperienced football operations dude.
We aren’t a program doing things in the cheap either

This place and the rest of the fanbase have a self destructive narrative that’s says “win and they’ll come”. And it’s spread to the local coaches and recruits.

UGA had the number one recruiting class after a 7 win season. This after firing a coach that had multiple 10 win seasons and produced plenty of nfl draft picks despite never having a number one class.
Kirby was never a p5 coach prior to that.

Kind of what I figured and had heard rumblings of.

When I say I don't blame him, players all over didn't believe in that staff. It was a team let down or quit if you will. He knew there weren't games to be won the way it was going and so did others at that point. Team had been neutered.

I don't get that mentality, but I've seen it. Every down will be scrutinized and is on film. He wants a shot at the next level, it all counts. Questions will be asked.
That's the bigger question that will be asked. And I explain these same things to my nephews as well. What you do both on & JUST AS IMPORTANTLY OFF THE FIELD make a difference. Leaders lead, it is just that simple. Others go party with their quote unquote QB coach and take vacays & photo shoots when winners are putting in work. A franchise QB puts in work. He forces his will on his team and molds them just like a coach does. How's ur coach supposed to mold anything when your self appointed leaders don't even attempt to lead? That's more what I put on coaches last year than anything. Top to bottom both players and coaches were worried more about themselves then they were about their team. To many egos ran wild.

Lonzo and Melvin put their faith in a dude.
A lot of players trusted a dude with back to back 5 win seasons.
Can’t have a heart beat without good blood.
This isn’t some up an commer coach we have at the helm. This isn’t a scrub ad, this isn’t some inexperienced football operations dude.
We aren’t a program doing things in the cheap either

This place and the rest of the fanbase have a self destructive narrative that’s says “win and they’ll come”. And it’s spread to the local coaches and recruits.

UGA had the number one recruiting class after a 7 win season. This after firing a coach that had multiple 10 win seasons and produced plenty of nfl draft picks despite never having a number one class.
Kirby was never a p5 coach prior to that.
Why do people do that? You can compare one thing to another. Might as well throw a & m in also. You used as an example a team that bought a ton of recruits. They spent far more than anyone out there in an attempt to prove their hire was the right one. Personally I don't even remember what their record was that coming season but that's called football. It's not some switch that instantly comes on. With that logic than y'all should simply talk nothing but **** about the whole ***** regime. Cause we were all together for years before it started to click. Y'all either gotta relax and let them work or feel free and become analysts. But this constant nonsense is tiresome where each and everything has to be defended. I'm all over the place today so pardon any thing I missed on. Is that a Mandy reference? Always makes me laugh when people swear how much the team loved him. What they did love (while they laughed at Mandy)was how easy being a scholarship football player here had became. Because previously their was no standard and no expectations. It was kids that were happy to live in Miami and collect free money every semester & didn't care about the losers mentality in house as they were part of it. When kids like Hazelwood came out publicly and called us out what did y'all as fans do? Y'all laughed it off and said he was either salty or just trying to make an excuse for why he didn't come. We played a game where nothing but politics dictated who was on the field and no one could care in the least to mold them long term. I'm going back to sleep now.

Takin off the canes shades as an elite wr or QB why would you go to either than? At wr osu is flat out stacked and getting more & more. Kids these days are all about instant gratification. They don't wanna sit the bench or be red shirted. As a QB osu historically speaking is horrible for preparing qbs for the NFL. So why go to either?
I disagree with this way of thinking, i don’t judge qbs in the nfl based of the team they played for in college. Every qb is different, just like u shouldn’t target michigan or Tennessee qbs because of brady and peyton.

I judge the player not the helmet, they have proven production at qb and produced 2 first rounders under day. As a recruit thats all u can ask for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back