WR Eaford details why he left the class, visits for Junior Day

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
As a former Miami Hurricanes’ commit, 2021 Deerfield Beach (FL) 3-star WR Fred Eaford gave some insight as to why he left the class in mid-January, citing the potential instability in the program as the main reason.

“I like everything about the Canes, they were my dream school since I was little,” Eaford said. “After last season, though, I wasn’t sure if the coaches would still be there by the time I’d get there.”

Eaford’s concerns have already proved somewhat true.

Days after his decommitment, former Miami WR coach Taylor Stubblefield elected to take a job a Penn State. Despite the departure of his position coach, Eaford wanted to show he still had interest in UM when he went to their Junior Day event in late January.

“It was good, I went with my Grandma,” Eaford said. “We took pictures, we saw some of the facilities, and I was able to talk to most of the coaches.”

At the time of Eaford’s visit, Miami had not yet hired current WR coach Rob Likens, and Eaford has yet to hear from Likens since he was hired in early February. Eaford also mentioned he talked a lot with head coach Manny Diaz on his last trip to UM, but has not heard from Miami since then.

“I’ve mostly spoken to coach Manny Diaz, he’s a cool guy,” Eaford said. “I hope he has a good year this season so he can stay at Miami.”

As for the rest of his recruitment, Eaford doesn’t have any upcoming visits planned, but another ACC school has jumped to the front of his mind as of now.

“Everything’s going good in recruiting right now,” Eaford said. “Louisville is the main school I’m hearing from and they are showing me they really want me.”

Eaford was also recently offered by Georgia and South Carolina following his decommitment from Miami, and he made clear that he wants to take some time to learn about his new options before jumping into another commitment.

“It’s to be determined,” Eaford said of his decision timeline. “I’ll have to see, probably sometime after the spring.”

As a junior, Eaford helped lead Hialeah to a 7-3 regular season record, however, the team was bounced in the first round of the playoffs. For Eaford’s efforts, though, he landed on first team All-Dade for the class of 8A-6A. Following the 2019 season, Eaford made the move to transfer back to Deerfield Beach for his senior year, the place where he had spent his first two years of high school.

“My junior year went good, it went awesome actually,” Eaford said. “I’m a dog on the field and I don’t like to lose, so I’m using last year to motivate me to a state title as a senior.”

Eaford also posted a 4.72 40 time, a 4.84 short shuttle, and a 28.50 inch vertical at the Opening Miami Regional last February.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As a former Miami Hurricanes’ commit, 2021 Deerfield Beach (FL) 3-star WR Fred Eaford gave some insight as to why he left the class in mid-January, citing the potential instability in the program as the main reason.

“I like everything about the Canes, they were my dream school since I was little,” Eaford said. “After last season, though, I wasn’t sure if the coaches would still be there by the time I’d get there.”

Eaford’s concerns have already proved somewhat true.

Days after his decommitment, former Miami WR coach Taylor Stubblefield elected to take a job a Penn State. Despite the departure of his position coach, Eaford wanted to show he still had interest in UM when he went to their Junior Day event in late January.

“It was good, I went with my Grandma,” Eaford said. “We took pictures, we saw some of the facilities, and I was able to talk to most of the coaches.”

At the time of Eaford’s visit, Miami had not yet hired current WR coach Rob Likens, and Eaford has yet to hear from Likens since he was hired in early February. Eaford also mentioned he talked a lot with head coach Manny Diaz on his last trip to UM, but has not heard from Miami since then.

“I’ve mostly spoken to coach Manny Diaz, he’s a cool guy,” Eaford said. “I hope he has a good year this season so he can stay at Miami.”

As for the rest of his recruitment, Eaford doesn’t have any upcoming visits planned, but another ACC school has jumped to the front of his mind as of now.

“Everything’s going good in recruiting right now,” Eaford said. “Louisville is the main school I’m hearing from and they are showing me they really want me.”

Eaford was also recently offered by Georgia and South Carolina following his decommitment from Miami, and he made clear that he wants to take some time to learn about his new options before jumping into another commitment.

“It’s to be determined,” Eaford said of his decision timeline. “I’ll have to see, probably sometime after the spring.”

As a junior, Eaford helped lead Hialeah to a 7-3 regular season record, however, the team was bounced in the first round of the playoffs. For Eaford’s efforts, though, he landed on first team All-Dade for the class of 8A-6A. Following the 2019 season, Eaford made the move to transfer back to Deerfield Beach for his senior year, the place where he had spent his first two years of high school.

“My junior year went good, it went awesome actually,” Eaford said. “I’m a dog on the field and I don’t like to lose, so I’m using last year to motivate me to a state title as a senior.”

Eaford also posted a 4.72 40 time, a 4.84 short shuttle, and a 28.50 inch vertical at the Opening Miami Regional last February.

In our new offense we need a class of around 5 WRs ready to come in and compete. If he wants in and knows ZERO playing time is guaranteed, I say he's a take all day long. DB/WR numbers need to be 5 takes each this cycle, no less.

*Separate take on spring ball cancellation*

Low key us not having spring may have helped us due to our DB numbers being so low. Now we get Dunson/Tae/Harrell/Clarke/Balom etc to come in and compete for spots in the fall while we're still full strength with basically little to no injuries from spring ball.

In our new offense we need a class of around 5 WRs ready to come in and compete. If he wants in and knows ZERO playing time is guaranteed, I say he's a take all day long. DB/WR numbers need to be 5 takes each this cycle, no less.

*Separate take on spring ball cancellation*

Low key us not having spring may have helped us due to our DB numbers being so low. Now we get Dunson/Tae/Harrell/Clarke/Balom etc to come in and compete for spots in the fall while we're still full strength with basically little to no injuries from spring ball.
We just took 4. We do not need 5 WRs this class.

Advertisement
His testing numbers are mediocre to bad. Time for Canes to move on.

We need speed at the WR position. Alabama in the college ranks and KC in the pros have demonstrated that speed across the WR corps dominates defenses. Eaford is not that guy.

Advertisement
Seems like likens is not interested in him and that’s good , we don’t need to be going through the motions with a 3 star kid.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back