WR Deontay Burnett from Junipero Serra

Advertisement
Pretty average. The one thing I got out of this was his ability to track the ball and get it at it's highest point.

Advertisement
For those in the know. Just curious, during his heyday at USC, did Pete Carroll utilize a lot of possession type receivers? I seem to recall he recruited a lot of bigger WRs who were not particularly fast. Not slow, but not burners. Is this kind of the same philosophy with Brennan?

Of course, Mike Williams comes to mind. All of the big three supposedly passed on him as a WR. I don't know if anybody envisioned him as a future TE.

The few times I saw Williams play for USC, he seemed to be very very good. Maybe it was a function of the system and the surrounding cast. Any opinions?

I think USC also benefitted from a weak PAC-12 at the moment... The defenses were pretty bad... Although, I think Mike Williams was a bit overrated, he can't deny his production... He put up some sick stats... As underwhelming as his career became, it was still better than Dwayne Jarret who I was high on... That being said Williams was a great college player and fit in the scheme... I would have liked to see how he fared against ACC and SEC defenses... With aggressive secondaries...

I think USC also benefitted from a weak PAC-12 at the moment... The defenses were pretty bad... Although, I think Mike Williams was a bit overrated, he can't deny his production... He put up some sick stats... As underwhelming as his career became, it was still better than Dwayne Jarret who I was high on... That being said Williams was a great college player and fit in the scheme... I would have liked to see how he fared against ACC and SEC defenses... With aggressive secondaries...

Sounds right. I always wondered about the quality of the competition in the PAC-12. The few times I saw USC during their heyday they looked awfully good, but they had Pete Carroll and he's taken a team with a lot of PAC-12 collegians, I think, and molded it into a very dominating NFL team. I haven't looked at the Seahawks roster in a while, but it did seem to be more heavily weighted toward west coast players.

I don't follow NFL football anymore so I can't say how the USC players end up in the NFL. Williams has not set the world on fire, and it seems a lot of USC guys have not done so, either.

When I saw Williams at USC he seemed like a big WR that found the empty spot and caught the ball. He played in a very well designed offense thanks to Norm Chow. I think it was Chow, incidentally, that totally frustrated us in Provo in the first game after the 1989 championship (opening game 1990) I think he was still OC at BYU at that time. His game plan was perfect and we couldn't stop the dinks and dunks.

I think Williams only could have played TE if we took him. Like Winslow, who I think was an oversize WR in HS in San Diego.

As far as this kid, I did not look at the video but I'm wondering if he's so ordinary, why did they offer him? You've got to think they spend a lot of time watching the film of these kids and discussing them. It's not like they're making lazy off-the-cuff decisions.

Advertisement
****, they are just giving offers away. That HL reel is his entire career. 12 catches for 186 yards.

So judgmental, and its 10 months before signing day. Maybe the kid doesnt really have an offer, or its non commitable, or they see something they like and want to get in before others see it, etc. etc.

Sounds right. I always wondered about the quality of the competition in the PAC-12. The few times I saw USC during their heyday they looked awfully good, but they had Pete Carroll and he's taken a team with a lot of PAC-12 collegians, I think, and molded it into a very dominating NFL team. I haven't looked at the Seahawks roster in a while, but it did seem to be more heavily weighted toward west coast players.

I don't follow NFL football anymore so I can't say how the USC players end up in the NFL. Williams has not set the world on fire, and it seems a lot of USC guys have not done so, either.

When I saw Williams at USC he seemed like a big WR that found the empty spot and caught the ball. He played in a very well designed offense thanks to Norm Chow. I think it was Chow, incidentally, that totally frustrated us in Provo in the first game after the 1989 championship (opening game 1990) I think he was still OC at BYU at that time. His game plan was perfect and we couldn't stop the dinks and dunks.

I think Williams only could have played TE if we took him. Like Winslow, who I think was an oversize WR in HS in San Diego.

As far as this kid, I did not look at the video but I'm wondering if he's so ordinary, why did they offer him? You've got to think they spend a lot of time watching the film of these kids and discussing them. It's not like they're making lazy off-the-cuff decisions.

Marquise Lee will change the perception of USC WR's of late..kid is going to be a beast especially if Carolina and/or Phila

Advertisement

Marquise Lee will change the perception of USC WR's of late..kid is going to be a beast especially if Carolina and/or Phila

Now I like Lee... He's a stud... I agree with you... Oh Steve Smith was the truth as well... Injuries derailed his career... Lee barring injuries will be a playmaker in the league...

Burnett apparently ran 4.69 and posted a 30" vertical at a Sparq event two months ago. Real nice short shuttle time of 4.07, though.

Congrats to the kid on his offer, but I really don't understand the staff's obsession with targeting big-bodied possession receivers to the point of neglecting more explosive field-stretching types. It seems like we're targeting a bunch of receivers with similar profiles in this cycle and we're not placing enough of an emphasis on finding guys who can provide explosive plays in the passing game.

Carroll Carroll Carroll

Burnett apparently ran 4.69 and posted a 30" vertical at a Sparq event two months ago. Real nice short shuttle time of 4.07, though.

Congrats to the kid on his offer, but I really don't understand the staff's obsession with targeting big-bodied possession receivers to the point of neglecting more explosive field-stretching types. It seems like we're targeting a bunch of receivers with similar profiles in this cycle and we're not placing enough of an emphasis on finding guys who can provide explosive plays in the passing game.

I don't know about big-bodied. That same sparq had him @ 5'11" and 151 pounds. 247 has him @ 6' and 166.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I don't know about big-bodied. That same sparq had him @ 5'11" and 151 pounds. 247 has him @ 6' and 166.

I didn't even check his measurables before posting that, which was dumb on my part. I was trying to make a more general observation based on how our WR recruiting seems to be going this cycle. But this kid has poor measurables and looks an undersized possession type. That makes it worse.

I have been trying to figure out what has been going on in this thread. With the Mike Williams ref and such.

47.jpg

[video=youtube;uk7_IobU85o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk7_IobU85o[/video]

Put me down as someone who likes the kid

Advertisement
Back