WR Coley Narrows List

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Northeast Head Coach Donnell Bennett hasn't really had the chance to interact much with Miami's new offensive coordinator, James Coley, but he is excited about the hire.

“It seems to me that it was a pretty good strategic move. I didn’t watch enough of Florida State to really know how good he is, but when you can go in and make something happen like that, it means you’re doing something right. I know it’s a financial increase and an opportunity increase, but you’ve got to be able to see past something on the surface. He’s been a coach for several years and made good money, so why would he want to come to us if he didn’t see something good on the horizon? So I think it was a good deal. I haven’t really had the opportunity to deal with him, but I look forward to it. Recruiting is an added bonus.”

One of Coach Coley's calling cards is recruiting the South Florida area, which is something that Bennett knows is vital to Miami's success as a program.

“That’s what it’s gonna take. We have to continue to close down our back yard because there’s so much talent here. When we had our success back in the day, we got most of the homegrown talent, some Texas guys, and a Pennsylvania quarterback here and there, and voila you’ve got the secret to success.”

Bennett's star player, Stacy Coley, has both Florida State and Miami near the top of his list, but ironically it doesn't appear as though James Coley has been involved much with Stacy throughout the process.

“Stacy hasn’t talked about him too much so I don’t know if he’s dealt with him very much, but I’m sure he’s had some input.”

Bennett was able to take in last night's blowout victory over Duke with Stacy, and the two of them seemed to enjoy themselves.

“It was a great time and I think Stacy really enjoyed himself. It was a great win of course and the atmosphere was just crazy. He had the opportunity to see what his hometown thinks of him playing in his hometown, which is always a huge part of it.”

During the second half of the game, the Miami student section chanted, "Stacy Coley," to which Coley stood up and acknowledged them with a big smile.

“He was excited about it and he relished the moment. A couple people walked up to him, saying ‘Stacy we need you here,” and he felt good about getting that type of attention in the stands.”

Something that Miami has had to do with Coley over the past month is get him acquainted with new receivers coach, Brennan Carroll.

“I think it’s been pretty good so far. Coach Carroll has done a good job of picking up where Coach McDonald left off, and Terry (Richardson) has been in constant contact with us so it’s just status quo and everything is moving right along.”

Coley is narrowing down his choices as signing day is now less than two weeks away.

“Yeah, he’s definitely closer to a decision. Florida State’s big, Miami of course is big, USF is just really putting the pressure on, but I think it’s Miami, FSU, and USF. Ole Miss was in there, but there got the commitment from Treadwell so they’re not really up there any more. It’s narrowing itself down a little bit and I think we’re probably looking at the inner state schools. That’s just me talking, but that’s been the dominant conversation that we’ve had.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sounds good. BTW this is further proof that Carroll isn't going anywhere at least not in the next 2 weeks. Kid is starting to get comfortable with him...they aren't going to have a distraction again.

Thanks pete

Advertisement
“That’s what it’s gonna take. We have to continue to close down our back yard because there’s so much talent here. When we had our success back in the day, we got most of the homegrown talent, some Texas guys, and a Pennsylvania quarterback here and there, and voila you’ve got the secret to success.”

Advertisement
Peter you scored again. Great job.

Northeast Head Coach Donnell Bennett hasn't really had the chance to interact much with Miami's new offensive coordinator, James Coley, but he is excited about the hire.

“It seems to me that it was a pretty good strategic move. I didn’t watch enough of Florida State to really know how good he is, but when you can go in and make something happen like that, it means you’re doing something right. I know it’s a financial increase and an opportunity increase, but you’ve got to be able to see past something on the surface. He’s been a coach for several years and made good money, so why would he want to come to us if he didn’t see something good on the horizon? So I think it was a good deal. I haven’t really had the opportunity to deal with him, but I look forward to it. Recruiting is an added bonus.”

One of Coach Coley's calling cards is recruiting the South Florida area, which is something that Bennett knows is vital to Miami's success as a program.

Bennett's star player, Stacy Coley, has both Florida State and Miami near the top of his list, but ironically it doesn't appear as though James Coley has been involved much with Stacy throughout the process.

“Stacy hasn’t talked about him too much so I don’t know if he’s dealt with him very much, but I’m sure he’s had some input.”

Bennett was able to take in last night's blowout victory over Duke with Stacy, and the two of them seemed to enjoy themselves.

“It was a great time and I think Stacy really enjoyed himself. It was a great win of course and the atmosphere was just crazy. He had the opportunity to see what his hometown thinks of him playing in his hometown, which is always a huge part of it.”

During the second half of the game, the Miami student section chanted, "Stacy Coley," to which Coley stood up and acknowledged them with a big smile.

“He was excited about it and he relished the moment. A couple people walked up to him, saying ‘Stacy we need you here,” and he felt good about getting that type of attention in the stands.”

Something that Miami has had to do with Coley over the past month is get him acquainted with new receivers coach, Brennan Carroll.

“I think it’s been pretty good so far. Coach Carroll has done a good job of picking up where Coach McDonald left off, and Terry (Richardson) has been in constant contact with us so it’s just status quo and everything is moving right along.”

Coley is narrowing down his choices as signing day is now less than two weeks away.

“Yeah, he’s definitely closer to a decision. Florida State’s big, Miami of course is big, USF is just really putting the pressure on, but I think it’s Miami, FSU, and USF. Ole Miss was in there, but there got the commitment from Treadwell so they’re not really up there any more. It’s narrowing itself down a little bit and I think we’re probably looking at the inner state schools. That’s just me talking, but that’s been the dominant conversation that we’ve had.”

No inside info here, but i strongly believe Coley is a silent to us... I believed he committed to us way back when McDonald was here, once he left, he had to rethink it again but now I believe he made his decision, yes McDonald had a impact but I also believe the unsung hero here is Richardson.. He is just trying to build a relationship with Carrol since he will be his position coach when he comes here.. just my two cents..

Advertisement
Advertisement

Reading between the lines, I think him being our only WR commit and a priority commit at that is huge. He seems like he feeds off of the attention and relishes it. I like my WRs to have a little bit of diva to them.

Advertisement
Back