WR Coach Candidates

If you are talking about his last time as a Cane when he and all of Goldens staff got canned that’s short sighted. Especially considering he was the last WR coach with three 600 yard receivers. And we’re not going to ignore the fact he produced the best receiver on one of the best NFL franchises at identifying WRs in Pittsburgh. And also multiple conference all Americans including last year.

Not to mention the recruit reaction is probably the strongest I’ve seen for any hire since Mario got here with the exception of maybe Jadon Taylor.

Just because it’s boring doesn’t mean it’s disappointing. That the mindset that comes from comparison, aka the thief of joy.

If we are looking at this “purely as a hire”, this is a very strong hire my dog, we not gonna front on that.

“Looking at this purely as a hire this is a very strong hire”???

:monkey-serious:

And for every one of you who upvoted this
:monkey-serious::monkey-serious:

He

He called it disappointing in a separate post but go off.

You are right, considering he’s an alum I can count on him more than others to put on for his school so sure, I’d prefer someone with a shorter resume like his to be someone with a history with the school so I know who he is. And he’s a good coach, because we saw him be a good coach first hand.

So sure base it off his two other stops as a WR coach, one shortened because the HC got fired, and one wear he has coached up all Americans, I’d still say he’s a good hire.

“good hire” is different from “very strong hire”.

The latter is borderline elite. I’m sure he’ll do fine and I’m supporting him now that he’s the choice. I was hoping for someone who already worked with Dawson and/or his system but it’s water under the bridge now.

Advertisement
I’m basing this off Miami and his other stops. If he wasn’t a former Cane you and others would suddenly have altering opinions. That‘s just facts. Period.

The real question to me is, what if we had hired Candle? I wouldn't have been happy with that hire, but a lot of posters were on board with it. Had that happened and he brought along Beard, would the reception have been different?

It's a feel good hire on the surface. Guy coming back to the place he played. A positive is that he already has connections down here, even if it's a different set of recruits from what we typically target. So he knows the area and the coaches down this way, which is a plus.

I'm always hoping for the big hires and wish it had been someone who has landed multiple big time targets somewhere. That'll happen here for him if this offense moves the ball. If it doesn't, it won't matter how good Beard is.

Wishing him the best though. It's sad to see some so up in arms against one of our former players. Truth though, I'll say it again. He can be seen as great here if the offense moves the ball. If not, people will ***** that he can't land whomever, etc, but we'd never knkw because recruits don't want to play in a ****** system.

“good hire” is different from “very strong hire”.

The latter is borderline elite. I’m sure he’ll do fine and I’m supporting him now that he’s the choice. I was hoping for someone who already worked with Dawson and/or his system but it’s water under the bridge now.

Dawson had to have some input. In fact, I would guess that he signed off on it.

Advertisement
The real question to me is, what if we had hired Candle? I wouldn't have been happy with that hire, but a lot of posters were on board with it. Had that happened and he brought along Beard, would the reception have been different?

It's a feel good hire on the surface. Guy coming back to the place he played. A positive is that he already has connections down here, even if it's a different set of recruits from what we typically target. So he knows the area and the coaches down this way, which is a plus.

I'm always hoping for the big hires and wish it had been someone who has landed multiple big time targets somewhere. That'll happen here for him if this offense moves the ball. If it doesn't, it won't matter how good Beard is.

Wishing him the best though. It's sad to see some so up in arms against one of our former players. Truth though, I'll say it again. He can be seen as great here if the offense moves the ball. If not, people will ***** that he can't land whomever, etc, but we'd never knkw because recruits don't want to play in a ****** system.
I wasn’t crazy about Candle , I called him a “ solid hire”. Nothing more. Tbh I don’t get Mario’s obsession with the guy, especially with his resume / history. You‘d think he’s the second coming or Bill Walsh or something.

That said I’d rather have Dawson‘s scheme and Beard but my point is still being missed. We didn’t hire Candle so why even ask that hypothetical? On second thought don’t answer that lol. I’ve spent too much time in here as it is.

Last edited:
I wasn’t crazy about Candle , I called him a “ solid hire”. Nothing more. Tbh I don’t get Mario’s obsession with the guy, especially with his resume / history. You‘d think he’s the second coming or Bill Walsh or something.

That said I’d rather have Dawson‘s scheme and Beard but my point is still being missed. We didn’t hire Candle so why even ask that hypothetical? On second thought don’t answer that lol. I’ve spent too much time in here as it is.

I just asked the hypothetical because I feel it would've been better received in that circumstance.

I didn't have a clue how you felt about Candle, but would've guessed you'd have similar feelings to me about that hire had it happened.

I'm big on guys who've done it before, but I also love seeing guys get to take a step up, a shot at the big time if you will. There's a lot of good coaches out there just waiting for the opportunity and they're often passed over for retreads.

My biggest concerns with this new staff is that it's one thing to find a great up and comer here and there from non P5 schools. To fill the staff that way, it's a big gamble. I love seeing them get the opportunity though, but hope it works out.

I just asked the hypothetical because I feel it would've been better received in that circumstance.

I didn't have a clue how you felt about Candle, but would've guessed you'd have similar feelings to me about that hire had it happened.

I'm big on guys who've done it before, but I also love seeing guys get to take a step up, a shot at the big time if you will. There's a lot of good coaches out there just waiting for the opportunity and they're often passed over for retreads.

My biggest concerns with this new staff is that it's one thing to find a great up and comer here and there from non P5 schools. To fill the staff that way, it's a big gamble. I love seeing them get the opportunity though, but hope it works out.
You did get my point after all lol. My apologies

Advertisement

Mario had big hires last year and how did that turn out? Hiring coaches at this point in Mario’s tenure at Miami is a bit of a crapshoot but I like the road he took this time. Hopefully, they’ll all gel and have a positive impact on the team.

Mario had big hires last year and how did that turn out? Hiring coaches at this point in Mario’s tenure at Miami is a bit of a crapshoot but I like the road he took this time. Hopefully, they’ll all gel and have a positive impact on the team.

Clearly not very well.

Mario isn't smarter than the system. He hasn't been to this point, but his hiring process is akin to rewriting the book. We'll see if it works out.

It's clear as day though that big names are leery of working under him. That's evident as can be, but hopefully it works out. We all want the same thing here and truth be told, it'd be great if it happened under a former players leadership, a son of the city.

Clearly not very well.

Mario isn't smarter than the system. He hasn't been to this point, but his hiring process is akin to rewriting the book. We'll see if it works out.

It's clear as day though that big names are leery of working under him. That's evident as can be, but hopefully it works out. We all want the same thing here and truth be told, it'd be great if it happened under a former players leadership, a son of the city.
No doubt we all want the same thing. We all just have different perspectives based upon countless life experiences we’ve faced individually.

It would no doubt be a storybook type situation if a former player and son of the city now the HC returned us to prominence. It’s still early in Mario’s Miami tenure but he’s got to make positive strides this year to get and keep the ball rolling.

Yeah in hindsight it makes sense why it didn’t work out.

The guys had the recognizable names and experience but didn’t have the hunger.

Strong was the head coach at Texas and is older than Mario you think he was grinding?

Mario is a relentless recruiter and he probably realized that coaches older and more experienced than him aren’t going to grind like that.

I’m glad he tried something different, especially with OC. We’ll see if it works out.

Advertisement
Yeah in hindsight it makes sense why it didn’t work out.

The guys had the recognizable names and experience but didn’t have the hunger.

Strong was the head coach at Texas and is older than Mario you think he was grinding?

Mario is a relentless recruiter and he probably realized that coaches older and more experienced than him aren’t going to grind like that.

I’m glad he tried something different, especially with OC. We’ll see if it works out.
Experience is the best teacher. Sometimes we try things and it just doesn’t work. The key is to not make the same mistake twice. It seems Mario has learned from last year and taken a different approach. No matter our age or experience, we can all still learn if we’re open to it. An old dog can learn new tricks.

I love Guidry and Harris. Dawson is a solid hire. Beard meh, Indifferent.
Do you think there’s reason to be concerned that Dawson’s numbers when he hasn’t been with Dana have been pretty meh? I guess other than a more sensical offensive system why do we think Dawson is solid?

There’s thousands of wr coaches out there and he chose the one who played for UM. If he wasn’t a Cane he’s not even on the radar and fans would have no clue who he is ( well @Memnon would ). At least with Hankerson he’s a highly respected guy around the league and even more inside the 49ers franchise. Him being a Cane would have been a way in to getting a guy out of our league because we’re his alma mater. So Beard and Hank are two dramatically different situations. I don’t think it’s a bad hire or a great hire, just a meh , ok hire.
He also chose the one who has coached with Candle, his first priority OC target two cycles in a row. Clearly Mario is enamored with Candle’s offense. So he gets a WR coach who is a former Cane but also with a good understanding of Candle’s offense who seems to be a good technician that has built solid WR rooms and can hit the ground running in UM’s prime recruiting territory because of pre-existing relationships. I can see a solid rationale for the hire from that perspective, but what do I know.

Advertisement
He also chose the one who has coached with Candle, his first priority OC target two cycles in a row. Clearly Mario is enamored with Candle’s offense. So he gets a WR coach who is a former Cane but also with a good understanding of Candle’s offense who seems to be a good technician that has built solid WR rooms and can hit the ground running in UM’s prime recruiting territory because of pre-existing relationships. I can see a solid rationale for the hire from that perspective, but what do I know.
But we aren’t running that offense

Do you think there’s reason to be concerned that Dawson’s numbers when he hasn’t been with Dana have been pretty meh? I guess other than a more sensical offensive system why do we think Dawson is solid?
Looking at the situations with context I came away impressed with his time at S Miss. I‘ve posted about that. That’s why running and looking at stats.com doesn’t tell you a story. I like his scheme , his route concepts , play design and using space. Yet still staying balanced. Even with tempo , it’s on and off, not non stop.

But we aren’t running that offense
I guess I’m making the assumption the idea is to fold in different concepts from different variations of spread offenses. For example, don’t we have offensive coaches with experience in multiple different run game/blocking schemes?

Clearly not very well.

sometimes when you’re an outlier you are Steve Jobs, but most of the time you’re an idiot

let’s hope Mario is a late blooming football hiring process jobs.

Advertisement
Back