WR Coach Candidates

Curious for your thoughts.

What do you consider as “fine” recruiting? Equal to last year or last year plus adding a few more four/3stars?
I think he will be much better than last year. He was ranked as a top 5 recruiter in the mac. When he was here we did have richards, bruce, and Mullins committed and yea I know how it turned out but at the time it was a big haul

Advertisement
It’s a horrible hire.

Miami got its *** kicked at WR recruiting last year.

And the solution to that is Kevin Beard? A recruiting nobody.

Does anybody actually think Mario could have done worse at WR? Like, “yeah, it’s Kevin Beard, but at least it’s not X”? If so; who the **** do you have as “X”?

Beard is literally the worst it was going to be. He is “X.” And we hired him.

Unfortunately, can't really argue with anything you said. Unbelievable we ended up with Beard.

Miami football with money:
788C4577-F059-47FD-91F4-8C4ADAA74479.jpeg

Yeahhhh, I like KB and all, but like it’s been pointed out, we’ve known for SO long that Gattis would be gone and we end up with KB at WR coach a week before spring is very disappointing.

I think Mario is so used to holding out for big fish in recruiting, where one splash can offset someone you missed one. I think he is applying the same tactics in his coaching searches and he ends up left holding his D like “well we almost had a bunch of stud coaches”.

I’m still hopeful, but his staff management/hiring has been a joke during his UM tenure. We’ve got all these increased resources with an Al Golden staff.

Advertisement
I really can’t believe it took us this long to make this type of hire. I understand we were waiting on LH. Just ridiculous.

Regardless this is is around a 6. Could he be much improved and it really be an 8 or 9, absolutely. I think Rad and Zo probably had some input and wouldn’t just give him the job because he was a Cane.

If he wasn’t a Cane (and a previous coach here) and had the same experience i think we would actually be higher on him- not a homerun but more optimistic. Due to how bad we have been for 20 years we are somewhat self hating and harder on our own.
If he wasn’t a Cane many if not most of us wouldn’t know who he is and he wouldn’t be a candidate. That’s the problem.

Luckily we have an OC / scheme that kids want to play in so that alone should make a huge impact in recruiting.
At least Beard came with Dawson as OC and not the burned out Candle. Dawson's offense will help Beard with recruiting and hopefully coaching.

Advertisement
I've noticed that once a couple of posters have a viewpoint on an announcement that just snowballs into the general opinion of the whole site.

KB is fine. I remember blue chip recruits like Sam Bruce and Dionte Mullins singing his praise. Most position coaches are graded on recruiting and development. He got good grades on both at every stop. I suspect the only reason people don't like him is because he was part of the Al Golden staff.

He is also bringing Candle's playbook with him. We now have Malzahn, Holgorsen and Candle's playbooks in the offensive staff offices. That's HUGE.

Advertisement
It’s a horrible hire.

Miami got its *** kicked at WR recruiting last year.

And the solution to that is Kevin Beard? A recruiting nobody.

Does anybody actually think Mario could have done worse at WR? Like, “yeah, it’s Kevin Beard, but at least it’s not X”? If so; who the **** do you have as “X”?

Beard is literally the worst it was going to be. He is “X.” And we hired him.
I am not saying Beard is great, but his personality and coaching blows Gattis away.

The video is not a great look but it also wasn't a livestream if I remember correctly. So all these years later people are still up in arms over an edited promo video. For all we know Beard went on a 10 minute tirade of how he is a no after that and they just cut it.
Percentages suggest Beard said no offer. & he barely said anything in the video

Advertisement
If he wasn’t a Cane many if not most of us wouldn’t know who he is and he wouldn’t be a candidate. That’s the problem.
He may have been a candidate if not- who would have thought we would hire dawson. But if he was hired that people would give him more of a shot- instead of judging him based upon 6&7 years ago. I am a different person than I was in 2017. Now people already have their mind made up.

People thinking this is Hartline vs Beard are missing the point. It comes down to how the O produces so it’s on Dawson to show these kids we won’t run some boring plodding offense. Beard relates well with kids and has a lot of respect in Dade/Broward county. Should we’ve gotten someone better? Absolutely. Is this the worst possible outcome? I don’t think so.

**** it at this point. If he can teach em how to run their routes correctly and catch the ball with their hands and not with their chest or face mask, that in itself is improvement.

Just score some goddamned points in the form of touchdowns instead of field goals and no one will remember the blueballs that Mario's hiring process gave lol.

Advertisement
Back