WR Coach Candidates

The jobs here at UM just are not as attractive as ya’ll think they are. All it really boils down to. It’s just not an attractive option and/or Mario isn’t the guy you think he is when closing on coaches. No amount of money will change that unless we start winning consistently. Get it through your heads, we just replaced all of our guys with G5 coaches, literally all 5. My money is on Wright’s replacement being the same once Taylor accepts an NFL job. Proof is in the pudding. Big time proven assistant coaches did not want this job and this past seasons results set us back even further in regards to that. All the hype from last off season and then 2022 happened and the hole got even deeper. We had the “big name” staff and got absolutely pummeled on the field, so why would any great coach is presumably a great situation leave that for us. The only guys to even consider it are guys who have UM ties (surprise).

And yes, I like the Guidry hire. Indifferent on Ice and Nicholson. Not crazy about the Dawson hire and don’t like this one at all. Write it down, take a pic, call me mope…really dgaf lol.
583aedcb-2f6f-419b-99de-ec18aa2880e3_text.gif

Advertisement
Well…. here we are. I’m not gonna trash Beard. I’m actually happy for him. But I’m gonna say, that IMO…this is a “mid” hire. He’s a good teacher of the position and a solid coach that’s been under the wings of an “air raid” spread coach, for a few years. The same guy that Mario was allegedly trying to hire as a OC twice. IDK how good of a recruiter he is, nor do I know if he’s a “closure” or not,… but we gotta ride with him, because we have no choice🤷🏾‍♂️. With our resources, I was hoping… no EXPECTING to pull someone from a little higher up on the totem pole. But alas, we’re here. I have no choice but to ride with Mario on this one, and wish for the best…. because at the end of the day, winning on the field, and in living rooms is gonna tell the story.. One added advantage of Beard is that he already knows the contacts in So. Fla. Hopefully that can pay off down the road. Winning is the best deodorant, and if we can do that, then everything, will work itself out.,Go Canes
Hopefully Mario plan of hiring G5 coaches this off-season will work, I'm guessing he thinks they will be more hungry and willing to put the work in. Last year we had nothing but big name coaches and they turned out to be a flop, so whose to say Mario new approach won't work.

Advertisement
I really can’t believe it took us this long to make this type of hire. I understand we were waiting on LH. Just ridiculous.

Regardless this is is around a 6. Could he be much improved and it really be an 8 or 9, absolutely. I think Rad and Zo probably had some input and wouldn’t just give him the job because he was a Cane.

If he wasn’t a Cane (and a previous coach here) and had the same experience i think we would actually be higher on him- not a homerun but more optimistic. Due to how bad we have been for 20 years we are somewhat self hating and harder on our own.

Advertisement
relevant info:

- helped recruit Sam Bruce, Mullins, and Richards
- most of his toledo WR recruits were from OH or FL, go figure
- along with Coach Kool, recruited a chaminade DLineman to Toledo last cycle
- worked under Roger Harriot (HC for Chance Robinson at STA) for 4 years at U School
- OSU commit Jeremiah smith tweeted he is a “real dude” before his hiring was announced

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like Kevin Beard — dude is a Cane through and through. But if he’s the best we can do, I’m disappointed. Guys like Hartline are in a different stratosphere than Beard.
Beard would have been here if Candle had been hired. A lot of Hartline's success has been due to the prolific offensive scheme run by Ohio State and their overall roster (OL, QB, RB's). UM needs to win games. Beard is 10 times the recruiter and WR coach that the "previous" guy was.

Advertisement
Never forget

Yes, Beard is here agreeing w/ D’No, too; going against a guy who shares the same bloodline as him. Coley, I can excuse; he ain’t from This U, but Beard???! This what ya’ll want, huh?
#Runitback

Nasty work but I what I want is irrelevant. I wanted Hank but will support Beard until he doesn’t deserve the support anymore.

At least it was a defensive player lol if beard voted yes. With those edits there is no way to know definitively.

I hope I don’t sound like a spin master, but knowing Beard’s measurables + athletic testing, it is possible he spoke up when talking about 40’s & jumping while still voting no.
The elite safety comment was directed towards Paul Williams so there is even a chance he said no just by playing the percentages

The vote was 5 to 4
5 Yes - Dorito, Coley, Scott, ice harris (?), Paul Williams (?)

4 No - Hurlie brown, kehoe (?), Randy Melvin (?), Kevin beard (?)

Last edited:
Beard would have been here if Candle had been hired. A lot of Hartline's success has been due to the prolific offensive scheme run by Ohio State and their overall roster (OL, QB, RB's). UM needs to win games. Beard is 10 times the recruiter and WR coach that the "previous" guy was.
I feel a major part of hartline’s success is his nfl career. Players like Inniss and Smith likely watched him produce 1k yards in back to back seasons as they were just starting out at the WR position. To add on, those guys had him on their tv every Sunday compared to oos recruits

Last edited:
Never forget

Yes, Beard is here agreeing w/ D’No, too; going against a guy who shares the same bloodline as him. Coley, I can excuse; he ain’t from This U, but Beard???! This what ya’ll want, huh?
#Runitback

Every time I watch that video, i still don’t understand why there was no input from the DB coach in the meeting. He’s just hiding behind Dnofrio with his notepad in the background, why he didn’t have a seat at the table I will never know.

Advertisement
Back