WR Coach Candidates

Oh I hear ya no doubt...So maybe that's a thing Cristobal and I disagree on. I would like to see some real coaching as well.

I think it's safe to say that CMC isn't getting his first or even second choice with ANY of these hires.
Agreed although I do think the Guidry hire was his first choice and I’m glad he missed on Candle landing on Dawson.

Advertisement
Interesting that the reaction on the 247 Canes board is very different. They’re overwhelmingly happy about this.
I was a little surprised by the strong negative reaction here, even by CiS standards. I’m happy for Beard. All the evidence points to him being a solid technician. Initial reaction from recruits seems positive. He knows what it’s supposed to look like. Let’s give the guy a chance and see if he can build some good relationships and take advantage of his opportunity.

Beard may not be a bad coach, **** he’s a probably a decent coach. But you can use whatever mental gymnastics you want to justify this being a good hire but this is a desperate and panicked hire. Mario threw everything at Hankerson and got caught with his **** in his hand.

Been a rough year plus for Mario. Maybe it’s true he was the only one recruiting this season. Maybe the other coaches checked out. Maybe everything that could’ve gone wrong did and Mario pushed it as far as he could…..or he’s like the other 5 guys since 2001 that couldn’t produce. I’ve seen this same song and dance played to make us all feel good too often to believe Mario’s story is different.

This hire gives me no optimism for his future. Bad hire all the way around. Just no way to spin this.

I laughed at the all star stuff proclamation then. I'm not laughing now. I'm genuinely concerned I may never see another great Miami team yet alone champion. Waiting 4 months after the season ends, to hire a staff full of guys that we could have gotten in November is weird but I'll fake some enthusiasm soon.
I think you're being a bit dramatic. Richt's staff in '17 was pretty much on par with the one we have now and we were in the drivers seat to go to the playoff heading into the final week of the season.

Advertisement
Richt last year wasn’t good but the man gave us our best 2 year stretch in 20 years. Beard was here 1 year. Rumph was solid just wasn’t a strong recruiter. Ed wasn’t a coach. Kehoe was better than all the other o-line coaches we had
Kehoe wasn't/isn't a better OL coach than Jeff Stoutland. He certainly wasn't the second time around.

After getting to 10-0 in 2017, Richt finished up at Miami 7-9. And if he would've relinquished play-calling and fired his son among others I woulda been happy to have him. He chose to step down. Of course he had health concerns as well.

Rumph has been demoted and routinely criticized.

Reed wasn't a coach and people were excited he was around and that yielded no results as far as I can tell. So the point stands, hiring ex-players has done exactly what? I guess win a couple of press conferences.

Larry Scott was underrated. He recruited well for us and did the same elsewhere. I thought he was a good coach.

Brother, Larry Scott was not only a good recruiter, but look at Clive Walford under his tutelage. Look at how he took over a dysfunctional program mid season & turned in an 8 win season, this close to 9 if not for a certain OC deciding to turn Joe Yearby into Roger Staubach in a blizzard.

Beard may not be a bad coach, **** he’s a probably a decent coach. But you can use whatever mental gymnastics you want to justify this being a good hire but this is a desperate and panicked hire. Mario threw everything at Hankerson and got caught with his **** in his hand.

Been a rough year plus for Mario. Maybe it’s true he was the only one recruiting this season. Maybe the other coaches checked out. Maybe everything that could’ve gone wrong did and Mario pushed it as far as he could…..or he’s like the other 5 guys since 2001 that couldn’t produce. I’ve seen this same song and dance played to make us all feel good too often to believe Mario’s story is different.

This hire gives me no optimism for his future. Bad hire all the way around. Just no way to spin this.
Beard was a rushed hire for sure but I'm not going to sit here and draw any conclusions about Mario's fate based on one hire. That's ridiculous. Especially when I feel like he's done a good job with the other ones so far this offseason.

I was a little surprised by the strong negative reaction here, even by CiS standards. I’m happy for Beard. All the evidence points to him being a solid technician. Initial reaction from recruits seems positive. He knows what it’s supposed to look like. Let’s give the guy a chance and see if he can build some good relationships and take advantage of his opportunity.
That’s fair but I wouldn’t put too much stock into the initial reaction from recruits. They always have positive reactions to new hires. Dante Moore initially said Gattis was a great hire then spent one afternoon down here with him and spent the rest of the cycle basically telling him to go **** his face.

Advertisement
I was talking about this offseason, hence me saying “Big time proven assistant coaches did not want this job” and giving this season as even more fuel to the fire but cool.

What’s dumb is one assuming that because we hired all G5 dudes then that means that is what Mario set out to do from jump to go in a “different direction”, lol. But again, cool.

View attachment 231752
Right in 1 season we went from a place that was able to get all top hires, to a place no P5 guys wanted to come to.
Who was Marios top target at OC for the 2nd year in a row? a G5 guys who would have brought his WR coach with him - the same guy we just hired. The top Wr target? Stuck with the 49ers after getting a raise after going out of his way to interview here twice. Our DC went to Alabama and LB coach wanted the upgrade to DC, and our EDGE coach moved to the NFL and the Next in line Jason Taylor also looks like he may be jumping to the NFL too. Our new LB coach comes from P5, joining our OL, TE, DB, and DL coach as guys that previously were P5 coaches before coming here. And our RB coach is an alum just like Wr coach.

Literally the evidence that no top guys wanted to come here was that Mario targeted a G5 OC and ended up getting Guitry at DC - who you say you like.

Position coaches are difficult to predict how they will perform at a new job based of their past because there are so many different variables at state. The only thing you can kind of predict is how Coordinators will do because you have seen their Offenses/Defenses in the field. It's best to just take a wait and see approach with position coaches.

Beard was a rushed hire for sure but I'm not going to sit here and draw any conclusions about Mario's fate based on one hire. That's ridiculous. Especially when I feel like he's done a good job with the other ones so far this offseason.
He wasn’t a rushed hire. Gattis been gone for weeks. It’s the best he could get.

Advertisement
Kehoe wasn't/isn't a better OL coach than Jeff Stoutland. He certainly wasn't the second time around.

After getting to 10-0 in 2017, Richt finished up at Miami 7-9. And if he would've relinquished play-calling and fired his son among others I woulda been happy to have him. He chose to step down. Of course he had health concerns as well.

Rumph has been demoted and routinely criticized.

Reed wasn't a coach and people were excited he was around and that yielded no results as far as I can tell. So the point stands, hiring ex-players has done exactly what? I guess win a couple of press conferences.
I wasn’t including stoutland and you just remade my points on everything else. Richt son wasn’t the problem even tho he didn’t deserve his position. Rumph was only criticized for his recruiting

Mario hasn’t built an equity in trust for me. He was bad as a HC last season. Sure he recruited well but Gameday he was awful. Plus the stories of how his coaches conducted themselves is a bad, bad look.

I like the Dawson and Guidry hires in a vacuum. But year 1, both coordinators are replaced. Lost 4 position coaches. Just a rough 13, 14 months for the guy. I’d live with Beard without the other baggage. Beard with everything else coupled in worries me a lot.

He wasn’t a rushed hire. Gattis been gone for weeks. It’s the best he could get.
The writing was on the wall with Gattis months ago. I appreciate the prudence with Dawson and thought it was a good hire. Mario moved quickly to replace Steele and Smith. Again, the WR coach search should have been in lockstep with the OC search

Advertisement
Brother, Larry Scott was not only a good recruiter, but look at Clive Walford under his tutelage. Look at how he took over a dysfunctional program mid season & turned in an 8 win season, this close to 9 if not for a certain OC deciding to turn Joe Yearby into Roger Staubach in a blizzard.
Did he work with njoku as well?

But now it’s fine. He has “juice” and was a part of a great comeback 20 years ago so somehow that equates to him being a great hire, 🤷🏾‍♂️.
There is literally one post at most calling Beard a “great” hire amongst dozens of posts trashing him.

Mario wanted a Miami guy and got him. That has nothing to do with attractiveness of the job or a fan's misguided belief in the quality of job.

I don't know about this. From most accounts, it was Hankersons until the Niners made a counter. Keith Williams (Ravens) was a name we heard but he looks like he's staying in the NFL, too. Beard appears to be the 2nd/3rd option

Advertisement
Back