WR Coach Candidates

What really sucks is that it felt like things were really changing last off-season with the new resources and commitment from the university. It also felt like with a proven HC (also like with Richt) we’d always be able to get solid p5 level assistants.

Now, we are just back to the golden/diaz type hires, where we don’t look like a serious program.
these are good hires he has made. Just because they aren’t one of the 2 or 3 names that get mentioned doesn’t make them bad hires. Go look at some guys on bama staff. They have several guys you probably know nothing about but that doesn’t mean they aren’t good coaches

Advertisement
In South Florida? HE may indeed be top 20. But more importantly...Unless you are getting a Hankers or someone big, what the is the value of one more "good" recruiter? When you have NIL...When you have CMC, etc.

Hopefully he can coach technique and be a plus recruiting. If you aren't getting one of the top 2-3. I think Beard is fine with some NIL behind him as a recruiter. Offense improving is way more important.

And again there were better hires imo...I just think you guys are looking at recruiting the wrong way, especially with Nil in play.
Maybe except that allegedly one of Mario’s biggest gripes with last season staff was that he was carrying all the weight with recruiting along with DVD. I think Beard is a fine technician and may punch above his weight class recruiting with Mario behind him but this hire really doesn’t alleviate Mario’s concern with his staff being able to recruit.

What really sucks is that it felt like things were really changing last off-season with the new resources and commitment from the university. It also felt like with a proven HC (also like with Richt) we’d always be able to get solid p5 level assistants.

Now, we are just back to the golden/diaz type hires, where we don’t look like a serious program.
We're coming of a 5-7 season and a lot of the top assistant available are jumping ship to the NFL or rather stay at their schools. I'm sure Mario put the best staff together that he could.

Advertisement
both staffs canned in each his 2 years recruiting UM and Tenn? Golden was...and then goofy Butch Jones was . He can't be part of a kid signing if he's let go.

Ahhhhhhh, I see said the blind man. Interesting.

Well, u see there’s this thing called a de-commit list, right? And u see, my brother; the de-commit list allows me to see who were the original recruiters of a player.

So let me hop in the Time Machine real quick:

Desmond Phillips
Reginald Henderson

Do u know who they are? If not, that’s OK b/c many wouldn’t since they were in the 1450+ overall ranking list. That’s who Beard was tied to as a P recruiter. That’s who this beast of a recruiter reeled in. Now, even though he didn’t officially recruit him, I do think Sam committed to Miami in 2014 b/c of Beard.

Regardless, from the 2016 class, I saw Ice’s name all over the place, saw Hurlie Brown, Larry Scott, but Beard?? Two bottom of the barrel WRs & this was b4 the season

Also, how in tf did we lose Josh Uche??

The jobs here at UM just are not as attractive as ya’ll think they are. All it really boils down to. It’s just not an attractive option and/or Mario isn’t the guy you think he is when closing on coaches. No amount of money will change that unless we start winning consistently. Get it through your heads, we just replaced all of our guys with G5 coaches, literally all 5. My money is on Wright’s replacement being the same once Taylor accepts an NFL job. Proof is in the pudding. Big time proven assistant coaches did not want this job and this past seasons results set us back even further in regards to that. All the hype from last off season and then 2022 happened and the hole got even deeper. We had the “big name” staff and got absolutely pummeled on the field, so why would any great coach is presumably a great situation leave that for us. The only guys to even consider it are guys who have UM ties (surprise).

And yes, I like the Guidry hire. Indifferent on Ice and Nicholson. Not crazy about the Dawson hire and don’t like this one at all. Write it down, take a pic, call me mope…really dgaf lol.
I been in wait and see mode on all the hires for a lot of the reasons you named. None of the guys we poached were highly sought after and all came from "lesser" programs. We've been throwing out G'5 Billy but Mario just stole his whole MO. This Beard hire "potentially" tells me things may get worse before they get better. Ruiz must be giving out the keys to the safe because we aren't bringing in the Fab 5 to recruit.

I think the fanbase or at least some of us are long past the days of getting excited because a coach used to play at Miami.

Hurlie
Beard
Kehoe
Rumph
Richt
Mario
Reed(whatever he was actually doing)

Not great the last 8-10 years
Richt last year wasn’t good but the man gave us our best 2 year stretch in 20 years. Beard was here 1 year. Rumph was solid just wasn’t a strong recruiter. Ed wasn’t a coach. Kehoe was better than all the other o-line coaches we had

Advertisement
I have no issues with the other hires. Guidry and Dawson were both creative and out of the box. Ice Jr. fits the run game system we should be running. Beard is a very mid hire that clearly had to be made this late after Hankerson backed out.

It’s a hire that doesn’t make sense on a football level with this OC and the passing scheme he’s coming from. There’s no ties whatsoever except that Beard played here.
It’s football. You don’t have to come from the same scheme. It isn’t a difficult offense or a difficult route tree I’m sure beard can teach what’s needed to be taught with no issue

I been in wait and see mode on all the hires for a lot of the reasons you named. None of the guys we poached were highly sought after and all came from "lesser" programs. We've been throwing out G'5 Billy but Mario just stole his whole MO. This Beard hire "potentially" tells me things may get worse before they get better. Ruiz must be giving out the keys to the safe because we aren't bringing in the Fab 5 to recruit.
This is what you get 12 months after blowing your load on an all star staff and it imploding in your face. Proven, 'Bigtime' P5 coaches aren't running to be part of a staff that just yielded the season we just had.

Maybe except that allegedly one of Mario’s biggest gripes with last season staff was that he was carrying all the weight with recruiting along with DVD. I think Beard is a fine technician and may punch above his weight class recruiting with Mario behind him but this hire really doesn’t alleviate Mario’s concern with his staff being able to recruit.

Oh I hear ya no doubt...So maybe that's a thing Cristobal and I disagree on. I would like to see some real coaching as well.

I think it's safe to say that CMC isn't getting his first or even second choice with ANY of these hires.

Advertisement

Well, u see there’s this thing called a de-commit list, right? And u see, my brother; the de-commit list allows me to see who were the original recruiters of a player.

Desmond Phillips
Reginald Henderson

Do u know who they are? If not, that’s OK b/c many wouldn’t since they were in the 1450+ overall ranking list. That’s who Beard was tied to as a P recruiter. That’s who this beast of a recruiter reeled in. Now, even though he didn’t officially recruit him, I do think Sam committed to Miami in 2014 b/c of Beard.

Regardless, from the 2016 class, I saw Ice’s name all over the place, saw Hurlie Brown, Larry Scott, but Beard?? Two bottom of the barrel WRs & this was b4 the season

Larry Scott was underrated. He recruited well for us and did the same elsewhere. I thought he was a good coach.

Desmond Phillips
Reginald Henderson

Again I just don't believe all of this accurate. What about non-committed kids that Beard (or whoever) was in the mix for that went elsewhere (most likely) after he (and staff) were fired...or even if the new staff was able to ink them after Beard and old staff (who laid groundwork) was hired.

Point being...I'm not worried about a 247 list of lack of list for a guy who was there 9 months, 11 months, whatever

It’s fine, high floor guy who will bring stability to a pretty dysfunctional room over the last decade or so. Seems like a guy who will be here as long as Mario has him. Could have done better, could have done worse. Mehhh

Pretty crazy that it’s been 8 years since he was last coaching here.

Advertisement
This is what you get 12 months after blowing your load on an all star staff and it imploding in your face. Proven, 'Bigtime' P5 coaches aren't running to be part of a staff that just yielded the season we just had.
I laughed at the all star stuff proclamation then. I'm not laughing now. I'm genuinely concerned I may never see another great Miami team yet alone champion. Waiting 4 months after the season ends, to hire a staff full of guys that we could have gotten in November is weird but I'll fake some enthusiasm soon.

Again I just don't believe all of this accurate. What about non-committed kids that Beard (or whoever) was in the mix for that went elsewhere (most likely) after he (and staff) were fired...or even if the new staff was able to ink them after Beard and old staff (who laid groundwork) was hired.

Point being...I'm not worried about a 247 list of lack of list for a guy who was there 9 months, 11 months, whatever

OK. There’s a saying:

U can drag a horse to water, but if that mutha fcka don’t drink it, oh well.

Or something like that.

Can’t remember the last time I agreed with you, but yes, this.
Mario wanted a Miami guy and got him. That has nothing to do with attractiveness of the job or a fan's misguided belief in the quality of job.

Respectfully, you don’t know that. Easy to say “that’s what he wanted” at the end. Beard could have been choice #6, we will never know. Fact is, back in late November when it was a foregone conclusion that Gattis was gone….had there been a poll asking this board how would they feel about Beard replacing him as a WR Coach, it would have been nasty work. But now it’s fine. He has “juice” and was a part of a great comeback 20 years ago so somehow that equates to him being a great hire, 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Advertisement
Back