WR Coach Candidates

Advertisement
At this point why don’t we just hire Kendall Tompkins Green Tree Warrior

No insider was saying it was a done deal only that he was the leading candidate.

View attachment 231663

@Hufftwoseven

Instead of face palming how about providing some insight on why you think Beard would not be a ******* mediocre hire? He's been let go twice, once from Miami, Tennessee, and then been stuck in G5 for five years. You feel confident on him going into those top WR's living rooms and selling Miami against the other big boys in recruiting. He's not known to be great at that either.

Thank you for the honesty on Hankerson never being announced as a "done deal".

As for Beard, who is not my top choice, I'd point out that he was not "let go twice" due to his own abilities. Golden was fired mid-year during his one year coaching WRs at UM, and Jones was fired mid-year during his one year coaching WRs at Tennessee.

Finally, I'm not sure why we say Beard is "stuck" in G5. He's working with a coach he likes and vibes with. He almost (woulda/coulda?) came to Miami last year with Candle, so he only would have been "stuck" in G5 for "four years". I'm just not sure why it's such a bad thing for a guy to build a 4-5 year resume when he had TWO good jobs go south on him in less than one year each.

PS, when you look at some of the other candidates we have hired (and/or considered), there were quite a few who were "stuck" in G5 for 5 years or more.

As for Beard, who is not my top choice, I'd point out that he was not "let go twice" due to his own abilities. Golden was fired mid-year during his one year coaching WRs at UM, and Jones was fired mid-year during his one year coaching WRs at Tennessee.

Finally, I'm not sure why we say Beard is "stuck" in G5. He's working with a coach he likes and vibes with. He almost (woulda/coulda?) came to Miami last year with Candle, so he only would have been "stuck" in G5 for "four years". I'm just not sure why it's such a bad thing for a guy to build a 4-5 year resume when he had TWO good jobs go south on him in less than one year each.

PS, when you look at some of the other candidates we have hired (and/or considered), there were quite a few who were "stuck" in G5 for 5 years or more.
pass on beard only bc I think we need a big time recruiter in there honestly (someone who can go at Hartline toe to toe). we can't afford more **** show WR recruiting anymore. last year was horrific

Advertisement

It's surprising no other program has tried to lure him from Toledo.

South Florida is the mecca of WR recruiting so there's a ton of value to be had in bringing in a guy that has connections down here and can help bring in some SFL athletes.

Even a mid-tier program like Duke, Syracuse, Rutgers, Mizzou, etc. You'd think programs like these would see value in a guy that comes from a decent offensive mind in Jason Candle AND has the SFL ties.

Under my avatar it says Reformed Mope. Addicts are allowed to relapse from time to time. To answer your question, I guess it's up to Mario.

Oh mighty spirit of Sean Taylor, please grant @L A M P the serenity to accept the things he cannot change about Mario's coaching hires, the courage to change the things he can about Mario's coaching hires, and the wisdom to know the difference. Go Canes!

Advertisement
pass on beard only bc I think we need a big time recruiter in there honestly (someone who can go at Hartline toe to toe). we can't afford more **** show WR recruiting anymore. last year was horrific

You're making a very fair argument (compared to some). Yes, there may be some hires who are better recruiters than Beard. But people have no idea how close we came on a few WRs IN SPITE OF GATTIS. So I think we'll do pretty well with almost anyone who does NOT have a toxic Gattis personality. Let's just start with a guy who can converse and show up to recruiting appointments. And coach.

And, to be really direct, there are way too many people on this board who are turning Hartline into our new Baba Yaga. It's really time to settle down, he's not some mythic Godzilla creature who stomps into town and walks off with all the WR recruits.

I think you’re sending the text Mario too long to hire light again because if he was the number one target you making the offer and you give him a timeline alumni or not. The longer you give people time to make a decision no more chances you have your variables to be introduced and I don’t know how many more times this needs to happen with Mario to learn.

It wasn't just "waiting around for 2 weeks", Mario legit wanted Dawson to meet the candidates.

Now, you can honestly argue that if he doesn't wait so long on CANDLE and hires Dawson faster...never mind, I don't want to go down that rabbit-hole.

Advertisement
So basically a guess, got it. I think using "most likely" because it's the only other name you've heard is stupid. It's not like you are a knowledgeable poster. Nonetheless it wouldn't be a good hire no matter how hard ppl tried to spin it.

Never claimed to be an insider and I didn't realize you were the term police. I'm no more or less knowledgeable then you are or most anyone else that post on this site. However, thanks for your input.

Advertisement
You're making a very fair argument (compared to some). Yes, there may be some hires who are better recruiters than Beard. But people have no idea how close we came on a few WRs IN SPITE OF GATTIS. So I think we'll do pretty well with almost anyone who does NOT have a toxic Gattis personality. Let's just start with a guy who can converse and show up to recruiting appointments. And coach.

And, to be really direct, there are way too many people on this board who are turning Hartline into our new Baba Yaga. It's really time to settle down, he's not some mythic Godzilla creature who stomps into town and walks off with all the WR recruits.
while youre nto wrong there, coming close doesnt cut it anymore. well feel the effects of this class at WR in the future, but hopefully whoever the new WRC and OC can put a product on the field that draws transfers. regarding hartline, hes not some mythical creature but we tried to buy a local WR and he told us to **** off bc he doesnt trust us to develop him and would rather follow Hartline. that matters. im honestly done with miami retreads coaching here tbh. Hank woudl have been nice bc of the credibility he would bring coming from Shanahans system but i never expected it to happen bc honestly, hed be an idiot to hitch his career progression to mario vs KS and thats not a shot at mario just the facts on what KS's assistants are doing. its a gold mine of a hiring system just being attached to the guy. anyways, we got a new OC who seems to be what we wanna see on the field. i know cribby wasnt excited about the hire but well see what happens on the field as thats the only thingthat matters.

I hate when people recommend former UM players, but I’d give Reggie Wayne a call and see if you could find a role for him
he was the colts WRC last year. not sure on his position this year given they just hired a new HC but if hes retained, why would he come to college esp when it isnt his hometown?

To be fair no one has posted any internet chatter so far that has come close to what actually happened regarding our other hires this year

People have complained about the names and then Mario hires someone noone ever mentioned

IIRC every hire last year was basically the same thing

That's true. However, the names have leaked eventually when it came to close to the announcement. Happened with both coordinators. My post was based on what's been released so far as we're getting close to Spring practice and when logically you would expect something to be announced.

Advertisement
Back