WR Coach Candidates

You are way underselling the impact of recruiters. Rumph was an absolute abomination as a recruiter; TRob comes in and immediately makes a significant impact.
I disagree. Would you not agree that the state of the program is a more determinative factor as to the recruiting success of a particular coach than a particular coach's recruiting prowess? Because I don't care how good you are, if the Ws and success don't come, no one cares if you can sell ice to an eskimo. The kids eventually figure it out.

I will take a great program + a mediocre recruiter over the flip of that 10/10.

Advertisement
Galloway should be Mario's #1 target for a multitude of reasons; he can recruit, he can develop, and his acquisition directly weakens a conference rival that's been a thorn in our side as of late. I would also be THRILLED with Hankerson, but I think that Galloway checks the most boxes and is more realistic and attainable.
He’s never been a candidate in this search.

He’s never been a candidate in this search.
Wasn't it stated by Mario early on (or was it editorialized) that he wanted a guy with UM ties (mimicking Hartline / OSU) for the WR position? Seems like Hank has been the #1 target since day 1.

I agree with you, that recruiters are only as good as what they are selling (meaning, whoever we hire, the on-field success will still matter), but, with candidates like Hankerson, Williams, and Galloway, you can also sell their track record with players.

All 3 have developed all-conference WRs, regardless of the offensive system. All 3 have worked, privately, with professional WRs. Williams works privately with two elite NFL WRs (Tyreke Hill and Davante Adams). If I was CMC, and, lets say, Williams is his choice, the first thing I'd have Williams do is contact all his pros and have them 'send love' to Jeremiah Smith. Today, we can't sell any recruit on what our team will do next fall. They heard the same sh*t last fall. But, if you have a coach, with a proven record of success, that's a huge start.

Hankerson and Galloway could easily do the same. Galloway has a WR, Josh Downs, who's probably going to end up a day 2 pick.

Hartline has a proven track record of success. All his WRs get drafted. Truthfully, he's stealing a bit of credit from Zac Smith but whatever. His results get recruits attention!

I just mentioned 4 WR coaches (Hartline, Hankerson, Galloway, and Williams) who have worked with pros, have developed top WRs, have resumes that will get any HS WRs attention.

Kevin Beard doesn't have the experience/resume of the 4 listed above. I just don't know if he's that guy, yet.
I am not suggesting Beard is good. Quite frankly, I don't have any opinion that he's good or bad. I do take issue though with those that think he'd be a bad hire because I don't believe there is much in the way of actual evidence to support that other than folks basing their opinions on what other posters think.

This site tends to create preconceived notions or assumptions about guys and then runs with it forever. It's already forming re: Beard. I just think everyone should have an open mind concerning his qualifications and merit.

Advertisement
Wasn't it stated by Mario early on (or was it editorialized) that he wanted a guy with UM ties (mimicking Hartline / OSU) for the WR position? Seems like Hank has been the #1 target since day 1.
I agree Hank seems like target #1 all along. Not sure about the other. Don’t remember reading that.

Forget who but someone connected said that Galloway was never contacted or on the radar.

He's kept a job at Toledo for 5 years, also how do you get noted for recruiting in the MAC? The majority of the players those guys recruit are unranked. He was rated the 5th best recruiter in the MAC last season by 247 but I'm not sure how they get those rankings. I would much rather have Hankerson but I'm not going to act like beard can't do the job. Mario is making an emphasis on hiring recruiters this go around, if he hires Beard it's because he thinks he can recruit at a high level.
Keeping a G5 position coach job for 5 years normally isn't career goals.

Advertisement
This site tends to create preconceived notions or assumptions about guys and then runs with it forever. It's already forming re: Beard. I just think everyone should have an open mind concerning his qualifications and merit.

Very fair and valid point.

Beard wouldn't be a bad hire. I just believe, compared to Willams, Hankerson, and Galloway, he's in the next tier of candidates.

Advertisement
While they may not deal with Mario’s long interview process, seems like many other programs are in the same boat as Miami. Bama has two staffers who need hiring, UF has a couple of spots left, and UGA is in wait and see mode about their DC.

I feel like Mario’s experience being hired away from his alma mater greatly informs his patience in putting a staff together. It shows in his coaching targets: Steele, Nicholson, etc.

Advertisement
The antagonism towards Beard is weird. But the UF game carved a place in my heart for him for eternity lol so I’m biased.

But in all seriousness, I remember him as a limited player athletically that squeezed every ounce of production possible. If he brings that same lunch pail attitude here, I’m cool with the hire.

I prefer Hank though. Shanahan is a football wizard. If he’s good enough for him, he’s my choice
I believe Berrios recently said he thought Beard was a real good coach and still used techniques that he learned from him.

Hankerson is who I hope is hired...But all this Kevin Beard negativity has me wanting to enjoy his soundbites and highlights

2EEB38FA-1CE4-45AA-B957-01AB944758EB.gif

Advertisement
Back