WR Coach Candidates

There’s been a lot of high 3*, low 4* recruiting.

In little over one recruiting cycle, Cristobal already has more than half the 247 Top 100 recruits that every coach we had before him signed, except for Shannon. Shannon signed a bunch in that 09 class, and then barely ever signed another.

In the end, we need stud recruiters. You compete for the big boys by winning big boy recruiting battles. Not by trying to coach up little boys into being big boys.

Beard is not a big boy recruiter.
Beard was here for less then a year because his coach got fired mid season and never had a chance to finish one recruiting class. We should chill before we say he can't recruit because we have seen no evidence of that and after that he went to Tennessee where the same thing happened.

Advertisement
WTF can't this dude just make hires like the rest of the coaching world?
He’s evaluating in great detail according to his plan.

B38B5333-1CB6-4790-AFDB-8FA6DE57C580.gif

Beard was here for less then a year because his coach got fired mid season and never had a chance to finish one recruiting class. We should chill before we say he can't recruit because we have seen no evidence of that and after that he went to Tennessee where the same thing happened.
Dude, he’s had years to recruit elsewhere and hasn’t been noted for it nor has he been plucked by a p5. His body of work isn’t his one year at miami. He’s had jobs since then.

@No_Fly_Zone silverback

Before Toledo, Beard had been pretty unlucky jumping into two staffs where the coach got fired and he (like most assistants) wasn't retained by the new hire. Hard to build up a reputation when you have a lame duck HC and you don't even get a full recruiting cycle. His WR rooms at Toledo seem fairly productive, and he was ranked as the No.5 recruiter in the MAC in 2022, whatever that's worth.

Beard isn't a terrible option. That said, I'd still rather have Galloway or Hankerson (or a half dozen other WR coaches). I think we can and should do better than Beard, but that doesn't mean he's some bottom-of-the-barrel option like some people are painting him.

Dude, he’s had years to recruit elsewhere and hasn’t been noted for it nor has he been plucked by a p5. His body of work isn’t his one year at miami. He’s had jobs since then.

@No_Fly_Zone silverback

Nah, man. I'm with him on this one. People are talking about Coach Beard like he's the HC version of Nuss and that's a misperception.

Advertisement
As mentioned previously in this thread I’m a Beard fan as a former player for the same reason you mentioned. No one hates Beard here. However, he has coached at Miami before and was not good. That’s just facts. Don’t need to see it again. Hank or someone else besides Beard.
Facts? Or your opinion?

@No_Fly_Zone silverback
He's kept a job at Toledo for 5 years, also how do you get noted for recruiting in the MAC? The majority of the players those guys recruit are unranked. He was rated the 5th best recruiter in the MAC last season by 247 but I'm not sure how they get those rankings. I would much rather have Hankerson but I'm not going to act like beard can't do the job. Mario is making an emphasis on hiring recruiters this go around, if he hires Beard it's because he thinks he can recruit at a high level.

Im not saying he’s that either but Mac is trying to limit this to miami and Tennessee when there’s the last 5 years in addition to those.

That's just Mac being Mac, lol. Beard'd been the WR coach at Toledo for 5 years and recruiting coordinator there for a year, too. Focusing on just 2015 and 2017 is silly sauce, banana brains stuff.

Advertisement
Before Toledo, Beard had been pretty unlucky jumping into two staffs where the coach got fired and he (like most assistants) wasn't retained by the new hire. Hard to build up a reputation when you have a lame duck HC and you don't even get a full recruiting cycle. His WR rooms at Toledo seem fairly productive, and he was ranked as the No.5 recruiter in the MAC in 2022, whatever that's worth.

Beard isn't a terrible option. That said, I'd still rather have Galloway or Hankerson (or a half dozen other WR coaches). I think we can and should do better than Beard, but that doesn't mean he's some bottom-of-the-barrel option like some people are painting him.
Definitely agree, I would much rather have those two but I would be fine with Beard. He's cut his teeth at G5 for the last 5 years and has earned a promotion. He also helped turn Matt Landers career around and get him back to the SEC where he balled last season.

He's kept a job at Toledo for 5 years, also how do you get noted for recruiting in the MAC? The majority of the players those guys recruit are unranked. He was rated the 5th best recruiter in the MAC last season by 247 but I'm not sure how they get those rankings. I would much rather have Hankerson but I'm not going to act like beard can't do the job. Mario is making an emphasis on hiring recruiters this go around, if he hires Beard it's because he thinks he can recruit at a high level.
If he hires beard it’s because Hank doesn’t want the job. So I don’t think it’ll be beard anyhow.

Advertisement
It's really not fair to knock Beard's recruiting. You think Hartline would be considered a knock-out recruiter if instead of spending his entire coaching career at OSU he spent it at Miami? Of course not. Recruiters are only as good as the situation they are trying to bring kids into. I mean, you think that all-world WR at Chaminade would flip if Hartline were to take a role here? I doubt it.

If we start winning and can sell that to recruits, I don't know there's much of a difference recruiting-wise between Beard, Hank, Coley or anyone else you want to plug in.

If Beard were from anywhere else but UM we would be killing the idea of him. An "unlucky" MAC coach who was "ranked" (whatever that means) as the 5th best recruiter in the lowly MAC was on a bad Power-5 staff at a cheap university for a minute before the whole staff was let go? A WR coach who works under a HC that this board was super split on taking even as an OC? His blind resume would cause anarchy here.

Compare him vs Hankerson or Galloway or more experienced and successful coaches and their resumes and it doesn't compare. I loved Beard here, and I hope his career progresses, but let's all try to be intellectually honest. It's not hating on Beard at all, its just accepting that he's under-qualified for what we need and that we should be able to do better.

Advertisement

I don’t think it’s unlucky. The fact that his only big jobs have been by coaches on sinking ships is pretty telling IMO

Last edited:
If Beard were from anywhere else but UM we would be killing the idea of him. An "unlucky" MAC coach who was "ranked" (whatever that means) as the 5th best recruiter in the lowly MAC was on a bad Power-5 staff at a cheap university for a minute before the whole staff was let go? A WR coach who works under a HC that this board was super split on taking even as an OC? His blind resume would cause anarchy here.

Compare him vs Hankerson or Galloway or more experienced and successful coaches and their resumes and it doesn't compare. I loved Beard here, and I hope his career progresses, but let's all try to be intellectually honest. It's not hating on Beard at all, its just accepting that he's under-qualified for what we need and that we should be able to do better.

I don't find how this board would respond to any name persuasive. This board is schizophrenic and bi-polar. Half of this board was screaming for Coley as WR coach earlier this month, and he's a terrible position coach whose done a good job recruiting at bag schools. We can and should do better.

And if you want to talk intellectual honesty and resumes without looking at degrees, Hankerson's recruiting resume is virtually non-existent. Total projection. He's a hard worker, smart offensive mind, and great position coach, but nobody can definitively say he's done it on the recruiting side. It's why, between the two, I lean towards Galloway.

Many of the same people who are knocking Beard claiming he "can't recruit" are clamoring for Hankerson. That's weird. Especially when you look at Beard's WRs' production at Toledo (several all conference selections and guys who outperformed their recruiting rankings), which seems to indicate he's a solid technical coach.

Otherwise, we mostly agree. Beard is behind Galloway and Hankerson. I just don't think that makes Beard some terrible option. People are underselling his resume.

Advertisement
Back