WR Coach Candidates

Advertisement
Getting a funny feeling we may see a hire in the next week.
Lies No GIF

Advertisement
The antagonism towards Beard is weird. But the UF game carved a place in my heart for him for eternity lol so I’m biased.

But in all seriousness, I remember him as a limited player athletically that squeezed every ounce of production possible. If he brings that same lunch pail attitude here, I’m cool with the hire.

I prefer Hank though. Shanahan is a football wizard. If he’s good enough for him, he’s my choice

If its based on start rating only, then there are no lies told.

1. Miami sucks at evaluating talent and are offering and bringing the wrong kids onboard.
2. The recruiting services don't know what they are doing and overrate the players Miami is bringing onboard.
3. The development at Miami has been lacking for some time. Production on the field and in the NFL is near mid to late 90's levels before Botch came back.
4. A mixture of the three above.

Fixes put in place -

1. Expand the size, scope, and capacity of the scouting department. Bring in a long-time NFL scout to help form and run the organization. The offers being sent out today are usually for kids who are being recruited by the best programs (no-brainers) or Miami is early in on kids who blow up later in the cycle (Horton, Cooper, and McCoy come to mind).
2. Modernize the schemes at Miami to fit with football in both the NFL and the NCAA. This helps with development.
3. Hire younger coaches who can identify talent and teach. For all of the **** Addae got last year, he's done a great job of bringing the youngsters along. Long-term, his recruiting will get him canned, but for now he's developing at a good pace.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

This flip side is we should have been able to perform better on the field against the ACC with the “talent” we’ve had and we’ve been saying it for 10+ years…
That's where coaching comes into play. But the construct of playing better with the talent we had is a slippery slope implying we had more talent than we actually believe we had.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Right. We didn’t have the talent we thought we had. And the talent we did have was wasted by bad coaching.
Exactly. It’s a vicious cycle of mediocre coaching + subpar talent boosted by these recruiting rankings. Year 1 and all the new coaches raise fair questions but this new staff has already shown evidence of improved evals from 2022 class so let’s see if they can build on that.

The antagonism towards Beard is weird. But the UF game carved a place in my heart for him for eternity lol so I’m biased.

But in all seriousness, I remember him as a limited player athletically that squeezed every ounce of production possible. If he brings that same lunch pail attitude here, I’m cool with the hire.

I prefer Hank though. Shanahan is a football wizard. If he’s good enough for him, he’s my choice

As mentioned previously in this thread I’m a Beard fan as a former player for the same reason you mentioned. No one hates Beard here. However, he has coached at Miami before and was not good. That’s just facts. Don’t need to see it again. Hank or someone else besides Beard.

Advertisement
There’s been a lot of high 3*, low 4* recruiting.

In little over one recruiting cycle, Cristobal already has more than half the 247 Top 100 recruits that every coach we had before him signed, except for Shannon. Shannon signed a bunch in that 09 class, and then barely ever signed another.

In the end, we need stud recruiters. You compete for the big boys by winning big boy recruiting battles. Not by trying to coach up little boys into being big boys.

Beard is not a big boy recruiter.

As mentioned previously in this thread I’m a Beard fan as a former player for the same reason you mentioned. No one hates Beard here. However, he has coached at Miami before and was not good. That’s just facts. Don’t need to see it again. Hank or someone else besides Beard.
Fun fact, since 1993 the Hurricanes have had 3 WRs over 600 yards only twice, once in 2016 and once in 2015 with Kevin Beard as WR coach

Advertisement
Back