WR Coach Candidates

Advertisement
How about being highly regarded by Shanahan and the staff of the 49ers? How about being an ex Cane that has legit love for UM and South Florida? How about having a guy that does relate well to players and can help develop them for the NFL and establish UM as a pipeline for elite WR recruits to get INTO the league? That is what Mario is looking for. He might be here for 2-3 years as a passing game coordinator / WR / Co Oc, and move on as an OC to a smaller program, or even grow into that role at UM.
Most of this has been said in some shape or form about a former cane getting hired over the last 15 years and none of it comes to fruition.

Which former player since Shannon(the DC version) has excelled in the job?

If Hankerson is the guy so be it and hopefully he's the exception but you would think we would at least be students of our own history.

That's all well and good, but his resume since then hasn't exactly proven that he should be coaching WR's at this level. He went off field at UGA and then spent a year as WR coach for a 4-8 Tennessee squad that fired their coach, and probably was only there because Larry Scott was on staff.

He hasn't been able to get a P5 gig since. Having been a former player aside, would you honestly be excited with a hire like this?
I'm willing to give any reasonable hire a chance..it's not like we get to see these coaches up close on a daily basis to find out the quality of coach and recruiter they are. Just because you have a good resume at a P5 doesn't mean you will succeed and just because you don't have a Top notch resume doesn't mean you will fail, sometimes its just circumstances. There are G5 coaches who will coach circles around P5 guys, I just like to take a wait and see approach.

Yea in the nfl not so much cfb. I’m ok with hank or beard as the wr coach
You're right Hank is an unknown when it comes to CFB, especially recruiting. However, he can sell prospects on his time at SF, his success with Deebo and Aiyuk and not to mention his own NFL career. Beard has been a WR coach for 1 season at Miami, 1 season at Tennessee and going on his 5th season at Toledo. In that time he has 2 recruits to his name and no other P5 program looking to hire him. He's just not going to move the needle for the type of WR we HAVE to land this class. If it's him it's not the end of the world but it is underwhelming.

Advertisement
I'm willing to give any reasonable hire a chance..it's not like we get to see these coaches up close on a daily basis to find out the quality of coach and recruiter they are. Just because you have a good resume at a P5 doesn't mean you will succeed and just because you don't have a Top notch resume doesn't mean you will fail, sometimes its just circumstances. There are G5 coaches who will coach circles around P5 guys, I just like to take a wait and see approach.
There are reasons why someone like Lance Guidry was a really strong hire but perhaps hasn't gotten the opportunity just yet at the P5 level. Yes, Beard was in a tough spot his lone season as WR coach but he's had other opportunities since then and really hasn't made the most of them. It's one thing to pluck Toledo's HC and bring him in as your OC but how much of their WR production has been Candle's system versus Beard's development? Why hasn't he been poached by another program in 5 years?

And before you use that same logic with Hankerson, we're comparing a WR coach in the NFL with one that coaches in the MAC.

Beard is a single. Has been stuck at Toledo for a reason. Mario is doing him a solid by interviewing him because he can then tell bigger schools next cycle that he got an interview at Miami.

Hank is rising in the profession and would probably make more money as a college WR coach. Not to mention being close to home, cost of living vs Bay Area, etc.
Maybe even the OC in waiting. Mario realistically probably wants to run something similar to SF.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That shouldn't validate the hire. The fact that he's a sitting NFL WR coach for one of the best offenses in pro football, who just so happens to be from SFLA and played/starred at Miami is what does it for me.
THAT is part of his "resume", don't pick and choose, it is ONE additional factor that makes him an interesting candidate.

Yeah I was the first to post it and I’m year 2 of Gen-X
The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
Hank is gonna be a coordinator. He is a very smart guy and he had learnt under alot of good offensive minds, including Shanahan and Whipple, maybe its here if he comes and stays long enough.

Advertisement
Back