Wow, Golden is now our special teams coordinator

bomb

Band
Banned
Golden has assumed the title of "special teams coordinator," a role that Micheal Barrow filled last year.

"I've been working with special teams my whole career - we wanted to free up Micheal to continue to recruit the way he recruits down here and also focus no the linebackers," Golden said. "A lot of them are very young, and they're going to have to do a lot."

Advertisement
Means special teams will be special. Love to see a head coach run their teams ST units. Two that come to mind are Beamer and Urban Meyer, though Meyer may not have officially been the guy. Either way though special teams were his baby.

Why wow? It's his specialty. Wow b/c the inference is Barrow wasn't pulling his weight or wow, Golden getting more on his place? Why wow?

I know it's what we do, but it's ok not to look for the black helicopters.

It's quite clear that Golden is going all in on recruiting with the staff changes he's made. Players, not plays.

Maybe it's, god forbid, exactly what he said?:) Free Barrow up to recruit and handle all the LBs.

Advertisement
Means special teams will be special. Love to see a head coach run their teams ST units. Two that come to mind are Beamer and Urban Meyer, though Meyer may not have officially been the guy. Either way though special teams were his baby.

This was my exact first thought. Usually when the head coach starts running special teams, ST's play improves significantly unless you have a guy like Soldinger already kicking ***.

Considering how much our specials teams has improved under Golden, don't see how this can be a bad thing.

Advertisement
Golden had his hand in ST since he has been here....basically its this, Barrow you have a solid core of Lbs with game exp..I want to work24/7 on that..fix the issues or else..

there is a tape today from this am's practice,,,morris throws a screen to duke..its obvious, yet all three lbs including our best in DP back up 100mphs and allow duke plenty of room...keep blaming coach D...but old school canes sniffed out screens 99% of the time...its on Franklin, Barrow and coach D to get this team playing as one...

I thought Barrow did a really good job with special teams comparatively speaking to our recent experiences. I think coach is being transparent. Coach Barrow does a lot for this team, and his talent as a recruiter and an LB coach are important to our success.

the only weakness is Punt return...95th in the country avg 6 yards...Dorsett thru up the fair catch as soon as the ball was snapped....replace him and we should see much needed advantage with field position.... with our speed that is a awful stat

Advertisement

This was my exact first thought. Usually when the head coach starts running special teams, ST's play improves significantly unless you have a guy like Soldinger already kicking ***.

It means there is an emphasis on special teams. It's 1/3 of the games and is huge in close games. Starting field position is directly correlated to scoring or stopping teams from scoring.

I think our ST's have been pretty **** good the last few years.

We even blocked a punt last year lol.

Advertisement
Smart move - you have the 114th rated defense and alot to fix. Als trying to put his staff in the best possible postion to succeed.

Golden has assumed the title of "special teams coordinator," a role that Micheal Barrow filled last year.

"I've been working with special teams my whole career - we wanted to free up Micheal to continue to recruit the way he recruits down here and also focus no the linebackers," Golden said. "A lot of them are very young, and they're going to have to do a lot."

How many kickoff's or punt returns have we given up for a touchdown under Barrow's watch?

If you can't come up with a solid answer, then take Golden at his word... You guys are too cynical about the simple things.

Good job Coach Barrow, thank ya, carry on with your next mission sir <~ Should be the reasonable response .

Last edited:
Isn't this concept pretty common? Head Coaches are chipping in to their specialties - STs, DBs, QBs, etc.

Advertisement
Back