Would you let your 14u baseball player

rubycane

Recruit
Committ to a top 10 college baseball team as an incoming HS freshman? Any thoughts on this? My 14-15 yr old is garnering some interest from some schools but a friend of his just committed to a big school. My opinion is it puts a target on their back and brings on a lot of unneeded pressure at an early age. I understand that the commitment doesn’t mean anything at 14/15 but it’s a big deal to the young man.

Advertisement
Your son only benefits from the friends success IMO. Schools are going to keep coming so your son gets more looks because of it. Not saying he needs the other kid attention but it won’t hurt.

No. Its pointless.

Show the statistics. How many commitments before the age of 15 actually sign with that school. Willing to bet less than 1%.

Depends which school and depends how good he is. Baseball commitments stick more than any other sport, but know the program you are committing to. A lot of schools take early commitments with kids they see potential in and if they don’t pan out, they get processed out.

I know multiple kids who are ranked as freshman and are committed to schools who have never seen them play in person. If he’s good enough I wouldn’t worry about committing until after sophomore year.

Assume the kid must be approaching 90 already if he’s able to commit. Thats literally the only time these coaches let that young of kids commit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back