Worst call in college football history in ND 88 game

MiamiJoe

Sophomore
The phantom fumble call at around 4:15 mark. 4th and 7 it was either First down or TD and refs gave ball to ND later admitting they blew the call. If we had instant replay we would have had another NC
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=08jQIWpCa1Y[/video]

Advertisement
Not disagreeing but that pass intereference against Taint was pretty **** brutal as well.

Rewatching it makes me mad.

Then you've got Musburger's misguided, mossy recollection: "It's still to this day hotly debatable."

No, you feckless dimwit, it's not "hotly debatable." It was a bad call. Can't we all recognize that? We've got the play on film. We've all got eyes. It doesn't matter much now, because ND won. But it was an objectively, demonstrably bad call. He's either down just shy of the endzone or it's a touchdown. He maintained control of the ball until it hit the ground, on the opposite side of the goal line.

Oh, and **** Lou Holtz. I hope he chokes on his tongue this week.

OH WOW, WHY AM I SO HEATED?!!?!?

Advertisement
They were BOTH horrible calls that cost UM titles.

But the Cleveland Gary ripoff is the one that is relevant this week.

Not disagreeing but that pass intereference against Taint was pretty **** brutal as well.

I am disagreeing, that call vs Taint was way worse. It was a deciding factor in a Natty.

Very true, but if they have replay that game doesn't even get to OT. They called an Ohio State catch incomplete, when it was really a complete pass that would've iced it.

The Cleveland Gary call almost got me into trouble because I cursed when I saw it happen and my grandmother was with me. I used to watch every big game with grandma because, frankly, she was awesome. She let it go when she realized how bad of a call it was.

Advertisement
Could have had 8 championships in a 30 year span. 1988, getting screwed in 2000, and the bs flag in 2002.

Jimmy Johnson's worst moment as Canes coach. I was going livid at the time, wondering why he didn't run down there toward the goal line and make a spectacle of himself, until the full officiating crew was forced to communicate and acknowledge it was not fourth and goal, and they were on the verge of ******** up the call. Just standing there waving, "First down...It's a first down," while otherwise allowing play to quickly continue was pathetic.

Could have had 8 championships in a 30 year span. 1988, getting screwed in 2000, and the bs flag in 2002.
Makes me sick to think about it. This ND game is bringing back old wounds that can only be somewhat extinguished by a sizable beatdown of them come Saturday. Even then, it'll never go away.

Advertisement
It's the teams fault for even letting it get to that point. But you can't win em all or else it wouldn't be a rivalry.

Yes, it was a terrible call, but we also got a call our way on the last TD. There is no way that was a catch.

Advertisement
Rewatching it makes me mad.

Then you've got Musburger's misguided, mossy recollection: "It's still to this day hotly debatable."

No, you feckless dimwit, it's not "hotly debatable." It was a bad call. Can't we all recognize that? We've got the play on film. We've all got eyes. It doesn't matter much now, because ND won. But it was an objectively, demonstrably bad call. He's either down just shy of the endzone or it's a touchdown. He maintained control of the ball until it hit the ground, on the opposite side of the goal line.

Oh, and **** Lou Holtz. I hope he chokes on his tongue this week.

OH WOW, WHY AM I SO HEATED?!!?!?
Just seeing this thread title made me not want to open it. Opened it, after first avoiding it anyway.

Got to your comment...and I’m needing Tai Chi to calm myself down. I DONT KNOW ****ING TAI CHI!!!

It’s the only reason they’re relevant!

They don’t steal that game; they don’t get the contract with NBC from the Irish Catholic CEO of GE, the leprechaun sized Jack Welch. Identity politics at its worst! Every time I see the little ****er on a business channel I want to drive a stake through his chest.

I am so ****ed right now.

Advertisement
Back