Word to the wise...............

1CN

Sophomore
Over the pass 15 years, I seem to pick up this nasty habit call recruting.
Befriending my own little network of insiders, craving that next scope of info..

Well today Dec.9, 2013 I'm done , I'm out, Finish

Although I have many reasons, one of them is it just not fun anymore
16-19 year old kids are turning into internet celebrity...

I'll let GOlden and his staff do their job and on Saturday I'll do my job as a fan of the U..

But I can no longer invest the amount of time in this Recruting Game ...

It's also pretty obvious the BTW player are just holding their spot with the CANES, only to truly start their recruitment after their season end (per Coach ICE)

out..........

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over
again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Advertisement
OP... I actually feel the same way.... However, recruiting is the only habit I can't break!!! It's a **** of a drug!

Advertisement
social media has changed the game....i've been following recruiting only since like 2001 (unlike some of you diehards). before the internet all we had was the Miami herald. now its just information overload. just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
People keep tweeting the recruits messing up our coaches effort. It won't stop, why do some people not get that they are making the situation even worse......

Last edited:
Advertisement
Do yourself a favor and just check out potential recruits you'd like to see in this class (or recruits that are on our radar) and don't pay attention to the BS politics. And then after signing day, reevaluate the kids who actually signed. Speculation is fun, but I try not to take it too seriously.

No words in the history of man kind have been more over used than that Albert Einstein quote.

Advertisement
I feel you dude, Ive been following recruiting for almost 30 years. From the days when all you could get was the newspaper sports section info and some mags like Athlons, Street and Smiths, Phil Steel, Prep Star, Super Prep mags and newsletters, to the early days of the internet, with Wallace, Emfiger, later Border Wars, when Rivals began, Grassy, Shadows Board, I remember when Canesport was that dinky little newspaper Ferman used to publish that they sold at AllCanes in South Miami near Campus. To the monstrosity it has now become.

I agree that it has really become an unmitigated circus. And it gets worse every year. I honestly dont see how it will get any better. As technology continues, social media, everyone with smartphones, ipads, etc, its just going to get worse and worse, its going to grow into a bigger animal. I actually forsee it getting MUCH worse. Its only a matter of time before someone figures out a way to create some kind of gambling system around betting on what kid signs with what school, and then the real corruption is going to begin that will make things like point shaving look like childs play. Its a scary new era.

Every year, I say Im not going to follow this sh8t anymore, but every year, I know Im lying to myself, and I keep coming back to it. LIke a f*cking junkie, I just cant help myself. The difference now is, that I have learned to approach it with more maturity. I take it all in stride. We will get ours. I find the discussion and ups and downs entertaining, but I dont let it drive me crazy like I used to. Expect the worst, hope for the best, and try to tune into recruiting season as late as possible, is the best way to approach it. And all this cr@p about kids from 2015, or 2016 etc, I just laugh at and ignore. Even kids who are seniors now and committed will change their minds 50 times before now and signing day, so why would I care about what some Sophomore says he's going to do in 2 or 3 years?

Were going to get some good players. We will never get all the kids we want. Some kids will ***** us and disappoint us, while there will be others who will be pleasant surprises. Some kids who everyone thinks are cant miss, will be busts, and other sleepers will emerge to be stars. Take it all in stride. Enjoy it. But dont live for this sh*t, or it will drive you literally insane. At the end of the day, this is still just following the decision making process of a bunch of kids, who are, for the first times in their lives, being lavished with attention and notoriety, and having legions of fans from different places, fawning over them. As hard as it is for an immature teenager to make a major life decision, its only compounded by the internet celebrity and fans, which all combines to turn this into the sh*t show it has become.

All we can do is sit back, relax, try to enjoy it, and live with the outcome.

Advertisement
I feel you dude, Ive been following recruiting for almost 30 years. From the days when all you could get was the newspaper sports section info and some mags like Athlons, Street and Smiths, Phil Steel, Prep Star, Super Prep mags and newsletters, to the early days of the internet, with Wallace, Emfiger, later Border Wars, when Rivals began, Grassy, Shadows Board, I remember when Canesport was that dinky little newspaper Ferman used to publish that they sold at AllCanes in South Miami near Campus. To the monstrosity it has now become.

I agree that it has really become an unmitigated circus. And it gets worse every year. I honestly dont see how it will get any better. As technology continues, social media, everyone with smartphones, ipads, etc, its just going to get worse and worse, its going to grow into a bigger animal. I actually forsee it getting MUCH worse. Its only a matter of time before someone figures out a way to create some kind of gambling system around betting on what kid signs with what school, and then the real corruption is going to begin that will make things like point shaving look like childs play. Its a scary new era.

Every year, I say Im not going to follow this sh8t anymore, but every year, I know Im lying to myself, and I keep coming back to it. LIke a f*cking junkie, I just cant help myself. The difference now is, that I have learned to approach it with more maturity. I take it all in stride. We will get ours. I find the discussion and ups and downs entertaining, but I dont let it drive me crazy like I used to. Expect the worst, hope for the best, and try to tune into recruiting season as late as possible, is the best way to approach it. And all this cr@p about kids from 2015, or 2016 etc, I just laugh at and ignore. Even kids who are seniors now and committed will change their minds 50 times before now and signing day, so why would I care about what some Sophomore says he's going to do in 2 or 3 years?

Were going to get some good players. We will never get all the kids we want. Some kids will ***** us and disappoint us, while there will be others who will be pleasant surprises. Some kids who everyone thinks are cant miss, will be busts, and other sleepers will emerge to be stars. Take it all in stride. Enjoy it. But dont live for this sh*t, or it will drive you literally insane. At the end of the day, this is still just following the decision making process of a bunch of kids, who are, for the first times in their lives, being lavished with attention and notoriety, and having legions of fans from different places, fawning over them. As hard as it is for an immature teenager to make a major life decision, its only compounded by the internet celebrity and fans, which all combines to turn this into the sh*t show it has become.

All we can do is sit back, relax, try to enjoy it, and live with the outcome.

this is so well written, its insane!

LOL!!! It has changed over the years. Back in the 80's when I first started to really pay attention to recruiting I actually subscribed to a newsletter than came out weekly with updates on who was going where. That was about the most info you could get back then. In the very early days of the Internet there were a few websites that half assed the information. But today, my God, you have to be insane to let any of this stuff get to you.

Advertisement
Back