WOOOOOO! Ric Flair turns 72 today!

The promo of Flair and Jay Lethal was gold. Then Flair was the leader of the Fortune Faction that included AJ Styles and Robert Roode.

Advertisement
tumblr_nmk8uav72R1sg99p0o1_1280.jpeg

Flair > Hogan

I said it.
It isn't even fair to compare them hogan doesn't even belong in the same conversation as flair .Hogan had a finishing move of a leg drop and couldn't wrestle for **** while
Flair could and did wrestle for an hour at a time .and nobody talked better than flair.i watched flair wrestle in person at least 5 times

Advertisement
It isn't even fair to compare them hogan doesn't even belong in the same conversation as flair .Hogan had a finishing move of a leg drop and couldn't wrestle for **** while
Flair could and did wrestle for an hour at a time .and nobody talked better than flair.i watched flair wrestle in person at least 5 times
I saw him lose a championship at the Miami Beach Convention Center when I was a kid. I think the loss was to Dusty Rhodes.

V similar in that they could only wrestle one type of match - but Flair was a much better promo, so that's not a controversial statement.
Well they both worked a ton back in the day but they both presented a completely different dynamic to the profession...
Whereas Ric was by far the better "Wrestler" and promo guy . Hogan had the marketable size and look , plus he wasn't too bad on the mike as long as he didn't ramble on too long....
What really separates the two is Verne Gagne and Vince Jr.... Had Verne not been greedy and givin Hogan fair market value for what he brought to the AWA at the time he never goes to WWF when he did.... But... He did go... And whether people like Vince or not he knew exactly what to do with him once he got there...
In saying that it takes nothing away from what Flair did in the territories... He basically built Mid-Atlantic and Georgia Championship as well as many other Org's that brought Ric in....I mean Dusty made it no secret that Bringing in Flair was priority #1 to sell Wrestling and he was right....
Ok I'm rambling now , I'll stop... but I could go on for days with this stuff... lol

Advertisement

Oh I know it’s not a fair comparison, but even as a young kid w/ The Hogan hype, I was all Flair. The guy was just cool, and he sold himself & got fans engaged like no other. I mean, this is real mic skills...but my man could wrestle too, and has no problem in making his opponents look good, too.

It’s really hard to be a heel & baby face and bring the same energy.

Oh I know it’s not a fair comparison, but even as a young kid w/ The Hogan hype, I was all Flair. The guy was just cool, and he sold himself & got fans engaged like no other. I mean, this is real mic skills...but my man could wrestle too, and has no problem in making his opponents look good, too.

It’s really hard to be a heel & baby face and bring the same energy.
I was like that too before Hogan hit big....I grew up in NY in the 70's so cable was in it's infancy.. I didn't have it in Queens but my Dad did on Long Island around the early eighties.... So when I went to his house is when I got to see Georgia Championship Wrestling... Watching Flair and Dusty then was ridiculous... Those two were so good.. Piper too... Between him and Flair you wonder who did more blow and then went out and hit the mic... LOL...
But I gotta admit once Hogan hit WWF and blew up I watched every second I could... I mean I get it ,Vince turned it into a circus but I liked it...
Glad I got to see all that as it unfolded.... Wrestling was just different back then... AEW is trying to recapture that old school magic but there will never be guys like Flair and Dusty anymore...

I was like that too before Hogan hit big....I grew up in NY in the 70's so cable was in it's infancy.. I didn't have it in Queens but my Dad did on Long Island around the early eighties.... So when I went to his house is when I got to see Georgia Championship Wrestling... Watching Flair and Dusty then was ridiculous... Those two were so good.. Piper too... Between him and Flair you wonder who did more blow and then went out and hit the mic... LOL...
But I gotta admit once Hogan hit WWF and blew up I watched every second I could... I mean I get it ,Vince turned it into a circus but I liked it...
Glad I got to see all that as it unfolded.... Wrestling was just different back then... AEW is trying to recapture that old school magic but there will never be guys like Flair and Dusty anymore...

I hadn’t watched wrasslin since the Attitude Era of WWF; the moment they became E, and they eliminated all their close competition (WCW, & ECW), I stopped watching. I just start picking back up on w/ AEW & they’ve done a marvelous job in tryin to recapture, but it will never be the same. But to their credit, they are good at it & I’ve not missed an episode. The great thing they have going is they are cross-branding, so you’ll see guys from other promotions come through & Vice versa. That’s always been dope to me; hence why NWO was so great.

Advertisement
all day, hulk messed up the the hollywood hulk **** and the racist remarks ... flair has embraced the culture

Facts!

I mean, I get why Hulk was the attraction. Dude was nice on the mic, as well, and he was 6’5, 303 yoked up. But from a wrestling, mic, promotion guy that made matches look good??? Give me Flair. U loved to hate & love him at the same time.

Honestly, I liked Hogan, but ****, I chose the Ultimate Warrior over this dude as well. U couldn’t understand a word Warrior said, but it didn’t matter b/c he was from a different planet than us. Lol.

I hadn’t watched wrasslin since the Attitude Era of WWF; the moment they became E, and they eliminated all their close competition (WCW, & ECW), I stopped watching. I just start picking back up on w/ AEW & they’ve done a marvelous job in tryin to recapture, but it will never be the same. But to their credit, they are good at it & I’ve not missed an episode. The great thing they have going is they are cross-branding, so you’ll see guys from other promotions come through & Vice versa. That’s always been dope to me; hence why NWO was so great.
What I really like about AEW is the vlogs they do with Being the Elite and Sammy Guevara's vlog.... Those are hysterical and really add a different element to the business...
Not sure if you've watched those but if you get a chance do so...

Side note - John Silver just kills it... He's great...

watched him and eddy guerro ( spellcheck ) go at it real hard back in the day, flair barely won it. But for a sport that is fake, that match didn't look fake at all because eddy couldn't believe he almost had him and was speechless.

Advertisement

this sealed it for me ... when you got kids 1/3 your age shouting you out, you are OFFICIALLY the MAN

this sealed it for me ... when you got kids 1/3 your age shouting you out, you are OFFICIALLY the MAN

Rick was the man long before that vid came out...LOL... Back In 83 I was the kid 1/3 Flairs age (Pretty close at least) and he was already the Man back then....

I saw him lose a championship at the Miami Beach Convention Center when I was a kid. I think the loss was to Dusty Rhodes.
I saw wrestling there about a dozen times i saw bruiser Brody there right before he got killed best match ever against the iron sheik they fought all over the place all the way to the upper deck fans were running every where

I saw wrestling there about a dozen times i saw bruiser Brody there right before he got killed best match ever against the iron sheik they fought all over the place all the way to the upper deck fans were running every where
I grew up on the Beach and went to many convention center events. A childhood friend was closely connected to it and got us in to every event for free. I saw Sugar Ray Leonard with my buddy in his 7th or 8th professional fight when I was a 5th grader in 77 or 78.

Advertisement
Back