Wong issues a statement via Twitter

Advertisement
Advertisement
Probably so. But, it was a valuable lesson learned for Wong, and any other UM athlete that does business with Ruiz. He’ll call your bluff, so best not f around. And if you do have an issue, handle it behind closed doors, don’t let some 2 bit, street hustler agent broadcast it publicly. As unfortunate as this situation was, it had the best ending you could possibly have hoped for.

Advertisement
Not buying that this was all done without his ok.

But blaming the agent and going back to Miami was the smart move for him, glad to have him back.
I wouldn't be shocked if the agent went outside of what Wong agreed to. Wong may have said "You can threaten it behind closed doors, but DO NOT put it out for public consumption.". This agent doesn't strike me as all that intelligent, because anyone that knows anything about NIL legislation could easily see that putting this out in the public sphere would basically end Wong's college career. Seriously. He would be radioactive in the portal, mostly because the argument could EASILY be made that it's a pay to play situation, no matter where he signs. It was a poor move by an agent that obviously doesn't fully understand the legislation.

Interesting, glad the programs reputation got to take a hit because Wong associates with a ******* agent.
I don’t think our program took a hit at all. If anything, we are reinforcing the fact that money is important at UM, and we handle our money like a business, not some yokels walking around with cash in McDonald’s bags.
In additon, Ruiz made it clear that he does not renegotiate which will set a standard for future players.
In the end it is clear UM is all in on NIL, and will be treating our athletes like professionals. But with that contractual relationship comes obligations on both sides. Come to UM if you wanted to be treated like a professional. Do the “college” thing somewhere else. Maybe that will scare off some small towners, but it will attract the people we want.

Advertisement
Great news. I’m glad Wong got out in front of this and kind of squashed it because this was gonna get ugly and fast.

His best move right now seems to be to get his asss back in school, play on a great college team next year, increase his draft status while doing so and let Life Wallet put some serious coin in his pocket and go pro in 2023.

Unfortunately common sense isn’t as common as it once was. Time will tell!

I’d love to see him playing under L for one more season. Wong could easily be one of the Alpha Dogs on this squad next season.

This will never get old and I’d pay good money to see more of it next season.

Last edited:
Outside of Isaiah Wong, Adam Papas is also the agent for Nijel Pack and Jordan Miller. How did he wind up being the agent to represent pretty much all of our best players that were with the team or coming from the portal?

Advertisement
1651465446928.png

Advertisement
Back