With Manny and his staff, we are 1 QB away from serious winning

What you said...

WIth this defense, all we need is Richt to get lucky on 1 superstar QB and we are in contention...

What you meant to say...

WIth this defense, all we need is Richt to get lucky on 1 superstar QB, [an entire OL, an entire WR corps who can catch, replace all the punters, above average punt/kickoff return coverage,] and we are in contention...

There, fixed it.

Advertisement
I've been saying the same thing. Our defense hasn't played a great offense all year. I would love for Manny to go to Temple and prove himself as a HC before we crown him HC. The defense did what they were supposed to do against inferior competition this season.
Gotta consider the O and ST manny is forced to bail out every game.

D is solid and there’s no need to try and find reasons that it isn’t.

this is not a judgement or opinion. just an objective look at stats. SOURCE : https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21 (OFFICIAL NCAA WEBSITE)

Miami defense was ranked #2 in total defense (without the Savannah St game, Miami would be ranked #7)
Miami played 0 teams with an offense ranked in the top 25
Miami played only 3 teams with an offense ranked in the top 50 in total offense and only 6 teams in the top 70.
Toledo (29) .... N Carolina (35) ... Va Tech (46)

Miami played an FCS team (Savannah St) that was ranked 123 in FCS total offense

Miami lost 0 games to teams who had an offense ranked in the top 50
Miami lost 5 games -- this is the total offense ranking of each of those teams

(51) Ga Tech
(64) Boston College
(72) Duke
(77) LSU
(83) Virginia

Wisconsin was ranked # 41 in total offense

I had a long winded debate on why although I thought we had a top 5 defense, that I still thought we were behind Bama, Clemson and LSU in terms of actually being the best defense. These stats would've helped me out quite a bit in that discussion.

"winning the coastal" --- thats like being in a 50 yard dash with 3 fat kids and a midget and can't win. pathetic.
View attachment 71306
Man. You boys love to talk stats. Let's talk some stats. Since y'all are talking Total Offense, let's talk some Total Offense. What follows are teams' Total Offense Avg. for the year, and then what those same teams managed against Miami.

LSU Total Offense Avg - 389
Against Miami - 296

Savannah State - 238
Against Miami - 78

Toledo - 449
Against Miami - 334

FIU - 418
Against Miami - 187

UNC - 442
Against Miami - 329

FSU - 360
Against Miami - 200

UVA - 382
Against Miami - 231

***BC - 404
***Against Miami - 433

DUKE - 393
Against Miami - 290

GT - 419.3
Against Miami - 304

VT - 427
Against Miami - 335

PITT - 372
Against Miami - 200

I was going to make a big statement here, but ultimately, numbers are numbers and you play who you play. And if you're keeping those teams you play (BC the lone notable exception) hundreds of yards below their average for the year (said averages which would be even higher had you not done your work on the field), what are you complaining about? There are so many issues our team has - the defense (especially this year where we got off the field on third down) wasn't one of them.

My source seems slightly different than yours (Wisconsin is 40th in Total Offense, not 41), but you talk about the teams we lost against, not mentioning teams we beat that were ranked higher than Wisconsin's (40):

Toledo (30)
UNC (35)

Again. We played who we played. Is it possible that Wisconsin is a BC-like exception? Sure. Is it more likely that we keep them under their 437 yd/game average? I don't know. But... it feels like it should be.

Is it so hard to enjoy a nice thing we had? Enjoy this defense. Quit trying to find fault to warble about with one of the bright shining spots of our team in this wholly disappointing season.

If you like fun with numbers, here's where I got mine -- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb
Only team worth a **** is LSU. Their offense isn’t the best either. I’m not getting into the analytics side of it, just stating the obvious. I’m not knocking the defense. Defense is very solid but not #2 in the country solid. Would you consider the defense elite? Just want your opinion.

Advertisement
While the concept or taking the Savannah State game out of the record to get to our defense's TRUE ranking; the exercise is only valid if you remove the cupcake game (s) from all the other teams as well. Every team plays a cupcake and removing those games from their seasons then levels the statistical playing field.

While the concept or taking the Savannah State game out of the record to get to our defense's TRUE ranking; the exercise is only valid if you remove the cupcake game (s) from all the other teams as well. Every team plays a cupcake and removing those games from their seasons then levels the statistical playing field.

I belive if you go on cfbstats you can view stats just against P5

this is not a judgement or opinion. just an objective look at stats. SOURCE : https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21 (OFFICIAL NCAA WEBSITE)

Miami defense was ranked #2 in total defense (without the Savannah St game, Miami would be ranked #7)
Miami played 0 teams with an offense ranked in the top 25
Miami played only 3 teams with an offense ranked in the top 50 in total offense and only 6 teams in the top 70.
Toledo (29) .... N Carolina (35) ... Va Tech (46)

Miami played an FCS team (Savannah St) that was ranked 123 in FCS total offense

Miami lost 0 games to teams who had an offense ranked in the top 50
Miami lost 5 games -- this is the total offense ranking of each of those teams

(51) Ga Tech
(64) Boston College
(72) Duke
(77) LSUy doubled
(83) Virginia

Wisconsin was ranked # 41 in total offense
Stats are for losers!! Stats never tell the complete story. Our offense probably had the ball less than any P5 team we played. The opposing offense probably doubled our offense time of possession, therefore or defense had to play more downs than any of the other top defenses out there.

Diaz's defense played the hand dealt to them!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
View attachment 71306

Only team worth a **** is LSU. Their offense isn’t the best either. I’m not getting into the analytics side of it, just stating the obvious. I’m not knocking the defense. Defense is very solid but not #2 in the country solid. Would you consider the defense elite? Just want your opinion.

Based on the numbers? Yes, I'd consider this defense elite. The fact that we also have either All-American or All-Conference types at every position speaks to that. Also, based on the eye test -- this defense was just plain fun to watch. Yeah, we didn't get the turnover chain out as much as we did last season, but I can't overstate how much of a relief it was to watch us get off the field on 3rd downs as opposed to the year before.

However, we still need to do the **** thing against Wisconsin. Here's hoping we do.

WIth this defense, all we need is Richt to get lucky on 1 superstar QB and we are in contention.

Without Manny and his staff, we are Al Golden levels of inept on both sides of the ball IMMEDIATELY.

Pay Manny. Pay his staff. Scorn this Richt idiot. Manny deserves to be in Miami, roaming a P5 sideline in his hometown, beloved, running an uber aggressive system with national recognition. We cant send our guy off, in good with, to some northeastern clown show so that everyone loses.
Relax mannnn. Manny is good but he has benefited from having very good players. The man had like 9 legit NFL players on his defense this year.

I've been saying the same thing. Our defense hasn't played a great offense all year. I would love for Manny to go to Temple and prove himself as a HC before we crown him HC. The defense did what they were supposed to do against inferior competition this season.
What games have you guys been watching all season.I bet you if you check the average starting position for those offenses will shock you.I've never seen a defense like ours defend a short field on a repetitive basis.

Relax mannnn. Manny is good but he has benefited from having very good players. The man had like 9 legit NFL players on his defense this year.
Who developed them? Good players won't develop if they are not being coached up! ie...offense! Everyone went backwards in development from a year ago!

Advertisement
Who developed them? Good players won't develop if they are not being coached up! ie...offense! Everyone went backwards in development from a year ago!
Simpson, Banda, Rumph and even Patke have all done a good job of developing players as has Diaz.

Any of you Georgia experts know if richt ever had a defense as good as our 2018 defense?

You will hardly ever find a defense as good ours when the right system is in place like it is now. The only comparisons that can be made is to either other Miami defenses in times past or maybe a couple of Fsu defenses in the past, so the answer is NO!

Man. You boys love to talk stats. Let's talk some stats. Since y'all are talking Total Offense, let's talk some Total Offense. What follows are teams' Total Offense Avg. for the year, and then what those same teams managed against Miami.

LSU Total Offense Avg - 389
Against Miami - 296

Savannah State - 238
Against Miami - 78

Toledo - 449
Against Miami - 334

FIU - 418
Against Miami - 187

UNC - 442
Against Miami - 329

FSU - 360
Against Miami - 200

UVA - 382
Against Miami - 231

***BC - 404
***Against Miami - 433

DUKE - 393
Against Miami - 290

GT - 419.3
Against Miami - 304

VT - 427
Against Miami - 335

PITT - 372
Against Miami - 200

I was going to make a big statement here, but ultimately, numbers are numbers and you play who you play. And if you're keeping those teams you play (BC the lone notable exception) hundreds of yards below their average for the year (said averages which would be even higher had you not done your work on the field), what are you complaining about? There are so many issues our team has - the defense (especially this year where we got off the field on third down) wasn't one of them.

My source seems slightly different than yours (Wisconsin is 40th in Total Offense, not 41), but you talk about the teams we lost against, not mentioning teams we beat that were ranked higher than Wisconsin's (40):

Toledo (30)
UNC (35)

Great post, facts, not the emotionally unstable variety pack. And to add to that, those defensive stats would've probably been more in the insane range if it had the luxury of being paired with a solid punting game and an efficient offense. Both of those units will be better next year.

Again. We played who we played. Is it possible that Wisconsin is a BC-like exception? Sure. Is it more likely that we keep them under their 437 yd/game average? I don't know. But... it feels like it should be.

Is it so hard to enjoy a nice thing we had? Enjoy this defense. Quit trying to find fault to warble about with one of the bright shining spots of our team in this wholly disappointing season.

If you like fun with numbers, here's where I got mine -- https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb

Advertisement
A freshly eligible Aaron Rodgers couldn't help the Canes if Richt is still calling plays.

Kill yourself, OP.

View attachment 71306

Miami's D was certainly the best part of this year's team, but "elite" ? that would be hard to say. if the CANES had played a top 10 offense, that might be an easier question to answer. But the fact is, Miami played mostly weaker offenses.

Advertisement
Back