(Wishful thinking) Might sound crazy, BUT what if....

Would the fans like the notion if they gave Ed Reed a shot at HC at some point? I think he'd be a great hire. Doesn't have HC experience, but face it, anything or anybody is better than Richt at this point. Bill Belichik called Reed the smartest football player he's faced as a coach, and his stats show that. He's a film junkie so he knows his stuff. He knows what an efficient offense and defense should look like. He's a former defensive player of course so he would not be calling plays like Richt is, so I would think the person he hires as an OC would be polished.

Think about recruiting. Who wouldn't wanna go to Coral Gables to play for Ed F****n Reed???? I think that alone would put us back in the saddle with South FL recruiting. He's from LA so we would possibly get some of those athletes too.

He knows what it means to be GREAT at The U. He knows what is takes to be GREAT at The U because he was a part of the last time we were.

Advertisement
I know he doesn’t have the requisite coaching experience but maybe someday eventually.

Although ... I bet if E Reed was on staff last night we wouldn’t have been so confused by Jim Leonhard’s defense

I would want to see Reed go up the coaching ranks first. Be a defensive assistant somewhere, move up to DC, and then after some success with those jobs - we could talk HC if that is part of his aspirations.

I will say this - the only 2 people I'd remotely consider hiring at Miami in either OC or DC positions w/o prior experience would be Ken Dorsey (not counting his CFL/NFL offensive assistant duties) or Ed Reed. Those two men would be smart enough and competitive enough to make that work. I know from previous reports that Dorsey's been compiling a playbook since his CFL days helping Trestman. Reed is smart enough that he could implement a Ravens D playbook pretty easily from his playing days - only issue with that is the Ravens ran a 3-4 almost exclusively...not sure that would work at Miami.

Advertisement
Would the fans like the notion if they gave Ed Reed a shot at HC at some point? I think he'd be a great hire. Doesn't have HC experience, but face it, anything or anybody is better than Richt at this point. Bill Belichik called Reed the smartest football player he's faced as a coach, and his stats show that. He's a film junkie so he knows his stuff. He knows what an efficient offense and defense should look like. He's a former defensive player of course so he would not be calling plays like Richt is, so I would think the person he hires as an OC would be polished.

Think about recruiting. Who wouldn't wanna go to Coral Gables to play for Ed F****n Reed???? I think that alone would put us back in the saddle with South FL recruiting. He's from LA so we would possibly get some of those athletes too.

He knows what it means to be GREAT at The U. He knows what is takes to be GREAT at The U because he was a part of the last time we were.
I hate you

Why hasn’t UF hired Emmit Smith as their HC

Or FSU hire Derrick Brooks

Or Georgia hire Herschel Walker

At this point, why not? What's the worst that could happen? We might be embarrassed in a nationally televised bowl game hosted by the largest city in the country by a team that struggled to break .500.

No, thank you.

He's not qualified or has express the desire. I don't see him being any type of ace on recruiting either.

This. What's Ed Reed doing right now in terms of coaching? Nothing. He's one of the few great players I think could actually adapt and become elite at coaching given his knowledge.

But Reed doesn't want to coach, and you can't just put anyone in at head coach and expect them to succeed. Especially one whom doesn't have the desire to do the day-to-day as well as maintain the long-term vision.

Ed Reed would not lock down South Florida. Not in today's climate.

Advertisement
Ed Reed wasn’t just a smart player, but the most instinctive player you may ever see. You simply can not teach what Reed had. For that reason I would not expect some lightning in a bottle with him. Let him learn the craft of coaching elsewhere, then I’d be all for him coaching here.

Advertisement
Back