Winning with a mediocre o-line

Walsh5

Recruit
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...winney-clemson-go-here-well-rely-talent-alone

Clemson has never had a dominating in that aspect. Or maybe ours is just that bad. Or maybe having Heisman level QBs covers up all the problems. Or maybe they wouldn't be Heisman level QBs without a decent o-line.

Either way I think a little bit of improvement on the o-line will go a LONG way this off season. We don't need an OSU or Wisconsin level front.

"But it's also worth noting that only two O-linemen from this recent Clemson run were drafted last year (John Simpson in the fourth round and Tremayne Anchrum in the seventh), while just two others have been drafted during Swinney's tenure, one of whom came in the NFL's supplemental draft. Meanwhile, former five-star recruit Mitch Hyatt went undrafted, and current recruiting prodigy Jackson Carman has been inconsistent at left tackle."

"If Clemson's goal is to win at the highest level, this area stands out as a genuine and consistent shortcoming. During this six-year playoff run, the Tigers have rushed for just 84 yards per game against top-10 opponents and 174 per game against everyone else."

Advertisement
You know the post is gonna be good when it starts with a "sentence" like "Clemson has never had a dominating in that aspect."

the simpsons me fail english thats unpossible GIF

Last year, Clemson lost to LSU. This year it lost to an over rated ND when their star QB couldn’t play and to a very well rested OSU.

When you have super stars at every other position you can win with an avg cfb OL.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...winney-clemson-go-here-well-rely-talent-alone

Clemson has never had a dominating in that aspect. Or maybe ours is just that bad. Or maybe having Heisman level QBs covers up all the problems. Or maybe they wouldn't be Heisman level QBs without a decent o-line.

Either way I think a little bit of improvement on the o-line will go a LONG way this off season. We don't need an OSU or Wisconsin level front.

"But it's also worth noting that only two O-linemen from this recent Clemson run were drafted last year (John Simpson in the fourth round and Tremayne Anchrum in the seventh), while just two others have been drafted during Swinney's tenure, one of whom came in the NFL's supplemental draft. Meanwhile, former five-star recruit Mitch Hyatt went undrafted, and current recruiting prodigy Jackson Carman has been inconsistent at left tackle."

"If Clemson's goal is to win at the highest level, this area stands out as a genuine and consistent shortcoming. During this six-year playoff run, the Tigers have rushed for just 84 yards per game against top-10 opponents and 174 per game against everyone else."

Yeeeeea, I’m not trying to hear they ****. Sounds cool when you break it down like that but those ****3rs whip our *** every time we play them soooooooo, their preeeety elite to us.

Advertisement
This season Clemson RB Travis Etienne broke a 42 yo record to become the all-time leading rusher in ACC history. Something like that couldn't happen with a "mediocre" OL .

The point of this thread is ridiculous.

we have talented young pups. Gaynor needs to hit the portal though. Scaife needs to play Center.
This Scaife nonsense needs to die already. First, he was an average tackle. Everyone said he'd be better at guard. This year he was average at guard. Now he needs to move to center? Face it, this board did what it does with every other fringe prospect that signs with Miami after we fail with our top targets. We delude ourselves into believing he's underrated and a future all American. Then when he doesnt live up to the hype we create, we toss him aside. Scaife is an average P5 lineman thats been good enough to beat out a bunch of nobodies. Thats all he'll ever be.

Honestly they vary their playcalls a lot and move the pocket often. Amazing what happens when a D can’t key in to your 4-5 plays

Advertisement
is consistently impossible at a championship level.

Your game plan is reliant on luck and unrealistic exectution at other positions.

This season Clemson RB Travis Etienne broke a 42 yo record to become the all-time leading rusher in ACC history. Something like that couldn't happen with a "mediocre" OL .

The point of this thread is ridiculous.
Yeah you're probably right. I woke up this morning and realized that it's way over simplistic to post this and I'm going to get blasted on here for it. Point I was trying to make was that a little improvement on the o-line will mean a lot. Get Donaldson back into the interior, another year of Zion Nelson and some of the young talent we have, then we can make good things happen. We finally have a QB now.

Clemson runs a gimmick offense. Its plug n play with their offense..especially at the OL. This years class is one of the real first ones where they have gotten some real big dogs on the ol.

Advertisement
This Scaife nonsense needs to die already. First, he was an average tackle. Everyone said he'd be better at guard. This year he was average at guard. Now he needs to move to center? Face it, this board did what it does with every other fringe prospect that signs with Miami after we fail with our top targets. We delude ourselves into believing he's underrated and a future all American. Then when he doesnt live up to the hype we create, we toss him aside. Scaife is an average P5 lineman thats been good enough to beat out a bunch of nobodies. Thats all he'll ever be.
But Scaife wasn't a fringe prospect. He was a UAAA.

Yeah you're probably right. I woke up this morning and realized that it's way over simplistic to post this and I'm going to get blasted on here for it. Point I was trying to make was that a little improvement on the o-line will mean a lot. Get Donaldson back into the interior, another year of Zion Nelson and some of the young talent we have, then we can make good things happen. We finally have a QB now.
You are mostly right. Any team will get better when they improve the OL.

However, it is not just about getting better talent.

Advertisement
Our oline shouldn't be mediocre. Theres far less talented teams with far better olines.

Average is giving him way too much credit. He’s not good at all and would not be starting at any position on a good team. Guard and linebacker were running neck and neck for the title of “most garbage position at Miami”. Our interior line consists of a below average center and two poor guards. Our tackles are average.

Our oline shouldn't be mediocre. Theres far less talented teams with far better olines.
Our O line talent lags far behind most of the roster. At least the upperclassmen. There’s some talented youth that should be pushing for starting spots next year though. Guys like Scaife, Gaynor, Traore and Clark would not be starters at a decent G5 program.

Our O line talent lags far behind most of the roster. At least the upperclassmen. There’s some talented youth that should be pushing for starting spots next year though. Guys like Scaife, Gaynor, Traore and Clark would not be starters at a decent G5 program.
I respectfully disagree with that. I'm not saying they're all world but something in the development seems off to me.

Advertisement
Back