Williams speaks on growth, feels UM still alive in Coastal

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After a big road win over rival FSU, QB Jarren Williams admitted that the team put just a little more into the game than normal.

“We had the FSU energy, everyone was amped up for that game - we have to be like that every week,” Williams said. “We have to prepare and practice hard like we did last week for every week, treat them like it is another big game. The goal is to win, so we have to prepare like that.”

OC Dan Enos praised Williams’ play following the win, saying the QB is starting to get a better feel for his mechanics in the pocket. What else did Enos tell Williams?

“A couple of times (Enos said) ‘Just don’t be careless with the ball’,” Williams said. “Sometimes I try to fit things into really tight windows where I could have ran, checked down or thrown it away. Being even smarter with the ball, knowing the down and distance, what the situation is and what we’re trying to do.”

What growth has Williams seen in his own game this season?

“Really just managing the game, managing the offense,” Williams said. “Understanding the play call, being on the same page with coach Enos, knowing what he’s thinking. And just being smart, not putting the offense in a bad position by taking a sack or throwing an interception… keeping us in those good positions where we can make smart decisions, if we need to kick the field goal.

“I’m not perfect at all. I take every drill, every rep like it’s a game.”

One area where Williams’ game has looked more crisp has been in throwing the deep ball – Williams hit on three passes that travelled at least 30 yards through the air against the Noles last week.

“There were a couple of things I was doing where I wasn’t getting full strength on my deep balls,” Williams said. “That’s something coach Enos pointed out to me, I’ve been working on. I definitely have the arm strength to get it out there. That’s important, hitting those deep shots.”

True freshman QB Peyton Matocha has mainly worked on the scout team this season and Williams gave his take on what he’s seen from Matocha’s game.

“He’s a very smart guy. He’s very athletic, is starting to really understand the offense more and more,” Williams said of Matocha. “He’s a guy that I see that’s starting to really develop.”

Up next, Miami plays against Louisville this week, a team that has one of the worst pass defenses in the country in allowing 259.4 yards per game (106th overall).

“Defensively, they’re a very fast team, they fly to the ball,” Williams said. “They’re very quick, so just really finding the holes and preparing this week (is the challenge), just really being crisp on the game plan. I feel really good about the game plan this week.”

At 3-3 in the ACC, Miami is one game back in the Coastal division with 2 games to play.

“We’re still in this thing,” Williams said of the division chase. “Our focus is taking it week-by-week. Right now, we’re trying to be 1-0. We have this game this week, the goal is to win. We’re not looking past Louisville. We understand we still have a chance to win the Coastal, but we’re taking it one game at a time.”

The matchup with the Cardinals will come on Senior Day this weekend, and the Canes are trying to make sure their seniors go out on top in their final home game.

“It means a lot to us,” Williams said. “Those older guys, leadership, everything they’ve done for the program. It’s their last game at Hard Rock. It’s emotional for them and all of us. We love our seniors, older guys… It’s a big day for the seniors.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back